Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sods

Leicestershire County Cricket Club

8 hours ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Agree with all of this. 

Out of our entire (bloated) squad, how many are truly good enough: Azad, Ackermann (and his form is real worry), Hill, Wright, Parky and Naveen? Ahmed is hugely promising but it's still very early days for him. Beyond that, who can we rely on to be consistently good? 

Swindells Mike and Barnes are good cricketers Mulder not been great so far but also a talented cricketer Patel also worth a mention not sure about the rest

6 hours ago, MaidstoneFox said:

Both Paloma Faith concerts cancelled because of lack of ticket sales. Organisation behind the scenes is not very good - I'm being told - by someone who liaises with them.

Find that hard to believe with Sean pushing the boundaries Jarvis at the helm🌝🌝🌝.Paloma Faith is a huge name should have been an easy sell surely.More lost  revenue should have been a good moneyspinner for the club

46 minutes ago, Graceroad said:

Silverwood  was a massive success with Essex got promoted 1st season then won championship the following Season

Had enough of watching him fail miserably with England. Wasn't it you who completely dismissed the idea of Adam Griffith because he was poor for us despite all his good work coaching with Tasmanian cricket.

10 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Had enough of watching him fail miserably with England. Wasn't it you who completely dismissed the idea of Adam Griffith because he was poor for us despite all his good work coaching with Tasmanian cricket.

Yes it was would sooner have someone who's experienced success in County Cricket however anyone would be an improvement atm

33 minutes ago, Graceroad said:

Yep seen that after posting.Not sure he will earn much more coaching SL then he would in County cricket mind

Doubt he'd leave so soon after joining imo. 

We need a fresh start Nixon is cooked, squad is bloated with poor cricketers and bad decision making.

1 hour ago, Graceroad said:

Yes it was would sooner have someone who's experienced success in County Cricket however anyone would be an improvement atm

Fair enough, I've only just gotten over Silverwoods England reign though 😂 I'm not set just on Griffith by the way, just think next season we could do a lot worse than attracting Australian lads keen to impress over here prior to the Ashes.

2 hours ago, Graceroad said:

Swindells Mike and Barnes are good cricketers Mulder not been great so far but also a talented cricketer Patel also worth a mention not sure about the rest

Had forgotten about Patel. He's a player I like a lot but for me, he's in the same category as Mike - you can see the natural talent but he's a long way from being a proven player at this level. In a successful, confident team you can see both of them doing much better than they are now. But in our team, which is constantly being outplayed, they are only showing flashes of their ability. 

You have to like Barnes as a character - he clearly works very hard to be the best he can be and has made progress. But I'm not sure he'd get in many other county teams, if I'm honest. 

Last year I would have included Swindells in my list of those who have shown consistently that they are good enough. But he's regressed significantly this season - his batting has been terrible and his keeping hasn't been up to scratch either. Hopefully it's just a bout of poor form and he'll come good again. 

Mulder must be decent to play for SA but I've seen nothing at all to suggest he's going to make the kind of telling contributions you need from your overseas players. His bowling is very ordinary and whilst his batting looks better he rarely goes on beyond 20 or 30. To be competitive we need gun overseas players like Harris and Inglis, who make very significant personal contributions as well as lifting all of those around them. I accept it's really early days for Mulder in a new country but I just can't see him being in that bracket. 

Edited by Sunbury Fox

5 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Had forgotten about Patel. He's a player I like a lot but for me, he's in the same category as Mike - you can see the natural talent but he's a long way from being a proven player at this level. In a successful, confident team you can see both of them doing much better than they are now. But in our team, which is constantly being outplayed, they are only showing flashes of their ability. 

You have to like Barnes as a character - he clearly works very hard to be the best he can be and has made progress. But I'm not sure he'd get in many other county teams, if I'm honest. 

Last year I would have included Swindells in my list of those who have shown consistently that they are good enough. But he's regressed significantly this season - his batting has been terrible and his keeping hasn't been up to scratch either. Hopefully it's just a bout of poor form and he'll come good again. 

Mulder must be decent to play for SA but I've seen nothing at all to suggest he's going to make the kind of telling contributions you need from your overseas players. His bowling is very ordinary and whilst his batting looks better he rarely goes on beyond 20 or 30. To be competitive we need gun overseas players like Harris and Inglis, who make very significant personal contributions as well as lifting all of those around them. I accept it's really early days for Mulder in a new country but I just can't see him being in that bracket. 

It was so obvious we needed an overseas batsman again this year for the County Championship in particular, at that Q & A they reiterated they didn't feel the need for one and that an opening bowler was more important.

Also out of curiosity has Harris played T20 for Gloucestershire yet?  As that was one of the reasons we apparently didn't sign him as he wanted all formats.

Next year we could do a lot worse than looking at players like Pucovski (fitness/concussion dependant) or Nic Maddinson, there's a couple of others who'd be pretty good as well. Pucovski in particular would surely fancy a run in County cricket to push himself forward for the Ashes.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

It was so obvious we needed an overseas batsman again this year for the County Championship in particular, at that Q & A they reiterated they didn't feel the need for one and that an opening bowler was more important.

Also out of curiosity has Harris played T20 for Gloucestershire yet?  As that was one of the reasons we apparently didn't sign him as he wanted all formats.

To be fair before the season started I was more than happy with our overseas signings.

Our bowling last season was utterly woeful with Wright and Parkinson receiving very little support. Two South African internationals who are frontline bowlers and one of whom bats as well looked ideal given Sam Evans had scored 3 tons up top and with Lewis Hill transforming into a very good batter.

Unfortunately both overseas have been a pretty significant let down leaving our bowling even worse and Evans as well as many others like Swindells have not been able to replicate the batting of last season, Hill of course injured to boot for the Championship.

For me the poor performances across the whole squad and regression of many players has to be laid at the feet of Nixon.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, CrawlingFox said:

To be fair before the season started I was more than happy with our overseas signings.

Our bowling last season was utterly woeful with Wright and Parkinson receiving very little support. Two South African internationals who are frontline bowlers and one of whom bats as well looked ideal given Sam Evans had scored 3 tons up top and with Lewis Hill transforming into a very good batter.

Unfortunately both overseas have been a pretty significant let down leaving our bowling even worse and Evans as well as many others like Swindells have not been able to replicate the batting of last season, Hill of course injured to boot for the Championship.

For me the poor performances across the whole squad and regression of many players has to be laid at the feet of Nixon.

Issue there is, Harris scored over 600 runs in 8 matches at an average of over 50, we haven't replaced those runs what so ever. You mention Evans and Hill, who actually may have found some form from Harris being at the club.

I'm not saying on paper Hendricks and Mulder were bad signings, just that we'd benefit more from having an overseas batsman as well. You wouldn't sell a 20 goal a season striker and not attempt to replace them. 

Gurbaz was again good signing in theory, but not sure how the club weren't aware of him potentially not being available. 

In this month's cricketer magazine it says Rhodes was told he could leave after his last champ game for us, which explains why he hasn't even featured for the seconds since. It also says he's one of 13 players out of contract at the end of the season and that Gurbaz could be back before the end of the Blast 

1 hour ago, MaidstoneFox said:

In this month's cricketer magazine it says Rhodes was told he could leave after his last champ game for us, which explains why he hasn't even featured for the seconds since. It also says he's one of 13 players out of contract at the end of the season and that Gurbaz could be back before the end of the Blast 

All of that is excellent news.

Edited by Sunbury Fox
  • Like 2

I can take losing but what really pissed me off yesterday, (and for all of our home games in fact) Is that we're not just getting beat, we're getting anhielated. Notts took the piss yesterday. It was men against boys. It all seemed so easy for them and effortless. Our highest score at Grace road in the T20 has been 135 ffs! I have a T20 membership and I really do not want to go to the remaining games now! I've had enough. The club is rotten to the core from top to bottom. Jarvis is another Wasim Khan. Promised change and progress yet we've gone backwards. And what the hell does Claude Henderson do? Those wages could have been used on another top quality batsman or even a batting coach. The club is a mess!

Edited by Walshy5

7 hours ago, HaroldBazBo said:

We need a coaching set up with no historic affiliation to the club.

An ex international who wants to coach. Gillespie a brilliant example.

Whats Jonathan Trott up to?

Have often wondered about Trotty. Even if we were to use him on a consultancy basis

13 minutes ago, Walshy5 said:

I can take losing but what really pissed me off yesterday, (and for all of our home games in fact) Is that we're not just getting beat, we're getting anhielated. Notts took the piss yesterday. It was men against boys. It all seemed so easy for them and effortless. Our highest score at Grace road in the T20 has been 135 ffs! I have a T20 membership and I really do not want to go to the remaining games now! I've had enough. The club is rotten to the core from top to bottom. Jarvis is another Wasim Khan. Promised change and progress yet we've gone backwards. And what the hell does Claude Henderson do? Those wages could have been used on another top quality batsman or even a batting coach. The club is a mess!

It’s a bit of a rant Walshy, but I pretty much agree with every word. There are some really lovely people working there, but our standards on the cricketing front are so so low, and without some playing success the commercial team have very little chance of making significant progress 

1 hour ago, MaidstoneFox said:

Squad for the Notts game:

Colin Ackermann, Hassan Azad, Ed Barnes, Will Davis, Sam Evans, Lewis Hill, Louis Kimber, Ben Mike, Wiaan Mulder, Callum Parkinson *, Rishi Patel, Harry Swindells +, Chris Wright.

No Hendricks.

Another 2/3 days of misery ahead.