Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sods

Leicestershire County Cricket Club

2 hours ago, Harpenden Fox said:

So we’re advertising for a DoC even though we have one. There has been no word on the current one, right? Have I missed something?

Maybe an announcement is imminent? Or maybe it's an old advert that they forgot to take down. Either is quite possible.

Whatever's happened it's clearly not worked this year, when we were hoping things would improve with a DoC.

On a positive note, good to see the seconds doing so well against Worcs, with finally some space freed up (No Rhodes, Sakande or Scriven [what was the point of that signing?] in this game), for the Academy players to get a match and they are doing really well. A ton for Kelley and wickets for Fallows and Wood. We should have at least 5 academy players every seconds game, to give them a chance to push on, not filling the seconds with dead wood. Otherwise they will lose motivation and go elsewhere.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, MaidstoneFox said:

Whatever's happened it's clearly not worked this year, when we were hoping things would improve with a DoC.

On a positive note, good to see the seconds doing so well against Worcs, with finally some space freed up (No Rhodes, Sakande or Scriven [what was the point of that signing?] in this game), for the Academy players to get a match and they are doing really well. A ton for Kelley and wickets for Fallows and Wood. We should have at least 5 academy players every seconds game, to give them a chance to push on, not filling the seconds with dead wood. Otherwise they will lose motivation and go elsewhere.

That is true but not many other second teams have as many full time players in their sides as we do. 

Most counties have a few then a few trialists academy players and uni guys. 

Most of our 2s are bloody full time. Even stranger they Most of them never get near the 1s even though we are awful. 

Utterly Bizzare. We have 6 players on contract who haven't played once or at most once. 

We have won 3 games and been battered in Most. 

Someone explain this to me please? 

13 minutes ago, Cakey said:

That is true but not many other second teams have as many full time players in their sides as we do. 

Most counties have a few then a few trialists academy players and uni guys. 

Most of our 2s are bloody full time. Even stranger they Most of them never get near the 1s even though we are awful. 

Utterly Bizzare. We have 6 players on contract who haven't played once or at most once. 

We have won 3 games and been battered in Most. 

Someone explain this to me please? 

I'm going to carry on this because I'm embarrassed at the moment. 

Strip the squad to about 12. We don't actually have 12 decent players but it's a start. Then if we are short use the academy. Bring in two good pros from elsewhere and two good overseas so your starting with about 15 ot 16. 

Then use the loan system. Zak Chappel is on loan Robinson from Kent at least 5 Surrey players I know of. 

It's not bloody hard is it. 

Frankly who cares about the 2s. I can have a run around for them it doesn't matter. 

It should be for kids and those coming back from injury. 

I don't care if players are on contract just pay them off. They don't play anyway!!!!

Lose Evans Bates Sekande Bowley Rhodes Lilley Davis Griffiths Welch the list is endless they are all rubbish. Aren't they? Are they not rubbish? 

Utter crap

Edited by Cakey
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Cakey said:

I don't care if players are on contract just pay them off. They don't play anyway!!!!

Lose Evans Bates Sekande Bowley Rhodes Lilley Davis Griffiths Welch the list is endless they are all rubbish. Aren't they? Are they not rubbish? 

Utter crap

Easier to say who you'd want to keep rather than who you'd let go isn't it. Unfortunately, I think a couple we want to keep might be off after this season

• Like 1

Ones truly worth keeping who can hack it at this level; Azad, Hill, Ahmed, Parkinson, Mike with a few others who you could see improving under better coaching: Davis, Swindells, Sam Evans. I’d even say goodbye to Ackermann now and rebuild. 

• Like 1

Really as above. I'd only keep Azad Ackerman Hill Kimber (although not great)  Patel Parkinson Mike Swindells Wright  Steel Ahmed and Barnes. 

Tbf to them Walker and Scriven not really done much wrong so give them a go. 

That's all for me. Wright is getting on but still decent. 

3 minutes ago, Graceroad said:

Such a shame we missed out on Keith Barker a few years back just looked at his career stats 476 wickets avg 24 plus a batting average of 28 he would make our  top 6 on his batting alone.Outstanding Cricketer

Were we actually in for him at some point? He is obscene I've mentioned it before in the general cricket thread about whether he'd ever been in contention for England.

23 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Were we actually in for him at some point? He is obscene I've mentioned it before in the general cricket thread about whether he'd ever been in contention for England.

Yep we spoke to him when he left Warwickshire can't really moan about the club on this one because Hampshire pay big money

Recruitment has been an absolute shitshow and even the good ones are struggling.

Patel looks like a decent pickup but instead of feeling his way into an established batting unit he's frequently under too much pressure given the collapses around him plus being shunted all over the order.

To be honest though before we go binning players I do think we need to change the coaching. Some of our players are going backwards and others massively underperforming. Good coaches get more from players, look at Derbyshire where Anuj Dal has gone from uninspiring squad filler to reliable all rounder, Brook Guest from Lancs cast off to a steady number 3 churning out runs, Mattie McKiernan another Lancs cast off now a reliable contributer in all formats and Alex Thomson who Warks didn’t need looks a steady spin bowling all rounder. Arthur is clearly maximising their talents,  ramping up their confidence and adding the experience of the overseas signings inspiring results around them.

There is nothing wrong with a batting lineup of:

Azad, Evans, Patel, Ackermann, Hill, Swindells.

That a gun overseas batter of the calibre of a Harris or Masood inserted anywhere and an injection of confidence and coaching couldn't make into a reliable four day unit.

Similarily:

Parkinson

Barnes

Wright

Davis

They're alright, stick a top level, experienced bowler like Lakmal in there and you've a unit.

I'm not really convinced that Mulder and Hendricks were terrible signings I just think the wheels are off, confidence is rock bottom and the squad is far too big which combined with poor selection has removed an element of competition and diluting the coaching whilst blocking young players from developing too.

A proper change of direction is needed.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, katieakita said:

So has Rutherford gone as not in the T 20 squad tonight, what a waste of money

May as well save some money and not play him. I doubt we'd make the top four now, we may as well play for the 50 over comp, it's our only chance of getting anything this year

2 hours ago, CrawlingFox said:

Recruitment has been an absolute shitshow and even the good ones are struggling.

Patel looks like a decent pickup but instead of feeling his way into an established batting unit he's frequently under too much pressure given the collapses around him plus being shunted all over the order.

To be honest though before we go binning players I do think we need to change the coaching. Some of our players are going backwards and others massively underperforming. Good coaches get more from players, look at Derbyshire where Anuj Dal has gone from uninspiring squad filler to reliable all rounder, Brook Guest from Lancs cast off to a steady number 3 churning out runs, Mattie McKiernan another Lancs cast off now a reliable contributer in all formats and Alex Thomson who Warks didn’t need looks a steady spin bowling all rounder. Arthur is clearly maximising their talents,  ramping up their confidence and adding the experience of the overseas signings inspiring results around them.

That a gun overseas batter of the calibre of a Harris or Masood inserted anywhere and an injection of confidence and coaching couldn't make into a reliable four day unit.

Similarily:

Parkinson

Barnes

Wright

Davis

They're alright, stick a top level, experienced bowler like Lakmal in there and you've a unit.

I'm not really convinced that Mulder and Hendricks were terrible signings I just think the wheels are off, confidence is rock bottom and the squad is far too big which combined with poor selection has removed an element of competition and diluting the coaching whilst blocking young players from developing too.

Some good points. Don't think Evans is good enough, he can hang about as they say but need a bit more  

Barnes is ok but needs bringing on and for me Davies is also not quite there. 

But I take your point yep  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, katieakita said:

So has Rutherford gone as not in the T 20 squad tonight, what a waste of money

15 minutes ago, MaidstoneFox said:

May as well save some money and not play him. I doubt we'd make the top four now, we may as well play for the 50 over comp, it's our only chance of getting anything this year

He's with the Kiwi squad and he always was. We were simply having him as a gun for hire whilst he wasn't being selected; literally on a pay as you play basis. 

https://www.thecricketer.com/Topics/international/new_zealand_unveil_squad_england_tour.html

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Cakey said:

Some good points. Don't think Evans is good enough, he can hang about as they say but need a bit more  

Barnes is ok but needs bringing on and for me Davies is also not quite there. 

But I take your point yep  

Agree generally on those players.

Would counter though that Evans has the resilience and temperament for red ball cricket (not easy to find) can he really not be coached to improve against the short ball and add some scoring shots that get his strike rate up? If not then I'd agree, time to look for better.

Barnes I'd agree on. Bats a bit, bowls decently at times - feel he's like a toned down Ben Mike without both the highs and lows. Feel he could focus on his bowling and become an effective first change bowler, or less likely he could go all in on his batting an end up opening for us as he's steady. Or could do neither and end up an also ran.

Davis is an odd one. Needs to stay fit for starters but I do think he can bowl and additonally can contribute in all formats which is something we need more of.

3 hours ago, CrawlingFox said:

Similarily:

Parkinson

Barnes

Wright

Davis

I think you're spot on

2 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

He's with the Kiwi squad and he always was. We were simply having him as a gun for hire whilst he wasn't being selected; literally on a pay as you play basis. 

https://www.thecricketer.com/Topics/international/new_zealand_unveil_squad_england_tour.html

Bonus could argue with what he offered that he didn't actually play