Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sods

Leicestershire County Cricket Club

9 hours ago, HaroldBazBo said:

Zak Chappell joining Derbyshire and not having his contract renewed.

1. What a waste for us.

2. What a (further) indictment on Notts.

3. Clever from Derby who keep building cleverly.

I believe we offered him a very good package, but you get the impression we are only ever a stepping stone for younger players. Agree with your comment regarding Derbyshire. They and Northants feel like they are being well managed and are on the up.

if they can progress, so could we, potentially 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HaroldBazBo said:

Zak Chappell joining Derbyshire and not having his contract renewed.

1. What a waste for us.

2. What a (further) indictment on Notts.

3. Clever from Derby who keep building cleverly.

Not sure it's a waste for us or an indictment on Notts.The guys always injured played 10 fc  matches in the last 4 seasons.Glad it's Notts and not us who have been paying him to sit on the treatment table the last 4 years.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lako42 said:

How does Lilley still get a gig here after what he has cot the club? 

It's the one thing that tells me the culture here will not change

I find Lilley a frustrating player. He's capable of some superb knocks but so often throws his wicket away with a slog. Perhaps it's part and parcel of t20 but feels like he could do better.

He's also clearly a big character who really cares but again has let himself down with his discipline.

I'd love to say that I think we could do better at 3 in the Blast than a player who will give us 1 or 2 fifties a season and that's it but judging by much of our other recruitment I don't know if that's true. We've only recently seemingly established that Welch can fill one of the opening spots with the other up for grabs.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, CrawlingFox said:

I find Lilley a frustrating player. He's capable of some superb knocks but so often throws his wicket away with a slog. Perhaps it's part and parcel of t20 but feels like he could do better.

He's also clearly a big character who really cares but again has let himself down with his discipline.

I'd love to say that I think we could do better at 3 in the Blast than a player who will give us 1 or 2 fifties a season and that's it but judging by much of our other recruitment I don't know if that's true. We've only recently seemingly established that Welch can fill one of the opening spots with the other up for grabs.

Kimber seems to be stepping up too and I’d like to see him batting further up the order next year in the Blast. Granted, we have some poor players but team selections really haven’t helped us either. In fact, it’s been baffling at times.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Father Ted said:

Kimber seems to be stepping up too and I’d like to see him batting further up the order next year in the Blast. Granted, we have some poor players but team selections really haven’t helped us either. In fact, it’s been baffling at times.

That's not a bad shout. If we're not going to recruit an overseas bat for the format then with who we currently have on the books I'd go:

Welch (power hitter)

Steel (more of an accumulator but can score heavily)

Kimber (I reckon could do either job)

45 minutes ago, CrawlingFox said:

That's not a bad shout. If we're not going to recruit an overseas bat for the format then with who we currently have on the books I'd go:

Welch (power hitter)

Steel (more of an accumulator but can score heavily)

Kimber (I reckon could do either job)

Agreed. With Ackermann and Hill to follow in and should we hold on to Mike and Mulder returns that’s a strong front 7 for me. Keep faith in Swindells as a good keeper and bat him at 8. 

All ifs and buts of course but we really shouldn’t have many problems at all in the white ball. Let’s hope that Naveen does return next season too. 

Red ball is clearly the issue.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Father Ted said:

Agreed. With Ackermann and Hill to follow in and should we hold on to Mike and Mulder returns that’s a strong front 7 for me. Keep faith in Swindells as a good keeper and bat him at 8. 

All ifs and buts of course but we really shouldn’t have many problems at all in the white ball. Let’s hope that Naveen does return next season too. 

Walker looks dangerous with the bat for a seamer too. 

4 minutes ago, Father Ted said:

I've said it before and i'll say it again... what's the point/why should they care/invest in red ball?

ZERO threat of relegation

ZERO chance of promotion given our finances

The reason we are good in white ball is because there's a carrot, something to aim for, and the threat of a knockout etc etc.

The only way small counties in Div 2 will put any thought into red ball is if the ECB introduce relegation, or look to add a 3rd Division (like they did during Covid) so that there is some threat/reward element involved (although we might just end up finishing bottom of Div 3 and not caring lol)

You could even bulk out a 'Division 3' with minor nations like Ireland, Scotland and Holland who might be looking to improve their red ball output.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AjcW said:

I've said it before and i'll say it again... what's the point/why should they care/invest in red ball?

The reason we are good in white ball is because there's a carrot, something to aim for, and the threat of a knockout etc etc.

The only way small counties in Div 2 will put any thought into red ball is if the ECB introduce relegation, or look to add a 3rd Division (like they did during Covid) so that there is some threat/reward element involved (although we might just end up finishing bottom of Div 3 and not caring lol)

You could even bulk out a 'Division 3' with minor nations like Ireland, Scotland and Holland who might be looking to improve their red ball output.

Tbf Jarvis has advocated the expansion of the county game. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Father Ted said:

Too much positivity here on the Leicestershire thread, just doesn’t seem right 😂 

16 hours ago, AjcW said:

Not sure what makes you think we have zero chance of promotion with our budget.Northants are currently 5 in Div1 Derby are pushing for promotion both have similar if  not lower budgets then the Foxes. The ECB pump millions of pounds into the club to keep them  afloat they do that with the hope we can be competitive and produce future England players.Getting hammered every match  and just winning a few T20 games won't convince anyone that we deserve to remain a first class County

Blast from the past

296976603_131147062957560_36534589288043

Comment by

Rodney Posnett

They really were a balanced side . Duddlestone and Steele opening the batting followed by Davison, Gower Balderstone, Tolchard and what a battery of bowlers with McKenzie , Higgs , Shuttleworth , and Birkenshaw.. who can forget the Monday we won The County Championship at Derbyshires Queens Park Chesterfield and Chris Balderstone ( R.I.P ) rushing off from the celebrations to play football for Carlisle after the game…
  • Like 1