Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sods

Leicestershire County Cricket Club

11 hours ago, Cakey said:

I will say now i dislike the 100. I cannot swe any merits at all. 

Apart from the obvious negatives why can't the non selected/fringe players play games for their counties when their franchise are not playing? 

Ending up with cricketers bowling 20 balls in a month? Or none at all in some cases. 

I'd say oh it's because they may get injured. 

However Cockbain I know has played for his club this month. Do injuries not happen in Club cricket? 

Just a complete waste of your peak season for some players. Obviously the bank account goes up. 

I'm not averse to the Hundred per se, I love the amount of families who seem to be enjoying it, but it's the impact it has on the schedule which is the huge problem. And if you look at our lads, Rehan has played, I think I'm right in saying Ackers, Mike and Parky have thus far been twiddling their thumbs. 

1 hour ago, harpendenfox said:

I'm not averse to the Hundred per se, I love the amount of families who seem to be enjoying it, but it's the impact it has on the schedule which is the huge problem. And if you look at our lads, Rehan has played, I think I'm right in saying Ackers, Mike and Parky have thus far been twiddling their thumbs. 

Criminal that Parky hasn’t had a go yet. Genuinely think there aren’t many more effective white ball spinners on these shores than him. 

But then again, he doesn’t bat like he’s playing baseball and try to hit as many sixes as possible 😴

Edited by Father Ted
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Cakey said:

I will say now i dislike the 100. I cannot swe any merits at all. 

Apart from the obvious negatives why can't the non selected/fringe players play games for their counties when their franchise are not playing? 

Ending up with cricketers bowling 20 balls in a month? Or none at all in some cases. 

I'd say oh it's because they may get injured. 

However Cockbain I know has played for his club this month. Do injuries not happen in Club cricket? 

Just a complete waste of your peak season for some players. Obviously the bank account goes up. 

It's the same in all franchise cricket, they are paid a big fee to be part of that squad for a month or so. The contract owning county could try to object, but you can be sure the player will not be keen on playing for that county thereafter. From the player's POV, even if they are not playing, they get time to practice, develop skills and generally be off the county cricket conveyor belt, all for upwards of 30k for a few weeks

More franchises are coming in SA and the Emirates, where players are generally going to follow the money. 

15 minutes ago, MaidstoneFox said:

It's the same in all franchise cricket, they are paid a big fee to be part of that squad for a month or so. The contract owning county could try to object, but you can be sure the player will not be keen on playing for that county thereafter. From the player's POV, even if they are not playing, they get time to practice, develop skills and generally be off the county cricket conveyor belt, all for upwards of 30k for a few weeks

More franchises are coming in SA and the Emirates, where players are generally going to follow the money. 

Yep. Quite like the IPL and Big Bash etc but the 100 doesn't work for me. It's an odd concept. T20 is far superior 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Cakey said:

Yep. Quite like the IPL and Big Bash etc but the 100 doesn't work for me. It's an odd concept. T20 is far superior 

If, like I believe, this is being used as a test case to franchise T20 and then bin off the 100... would you be in favour of that? 

Caveat being I think every county should be allowed a franchise. No reason not to, all the cities are big enough to warrant it.

So essentially a bigger version of the IPL over here. With businesses bidding for counties.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AjcW said:

If, like I believe, this is being used as a test case to franchise T20 and then bin off the 100... would you be in favour of that? 

Caveat being I think every county should be allowed a franchise. No reason not to, all the cities are big enough to warrant it.

So essentially a bigger version of the IPL over here. With businesses bidding for counties.

In my opinion this is more of a test case to expand these existing franchises to red ball cricket as well. Keep everything under ECB control and eventually weaken the county game once funding is withdrawn/reduced from into Counties instead to go into the new top tier franchises which will give the ECB what it wants with smaller supposedly higher quality competitions completely under their control with all profits theirs to keep.