Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sods

Leicestershire County Cricket Club

6 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Needed Hill, needed that extra bowler. Reckon we win this game with those two things.

Real shame.

Agree. Shame that Scriven got injured. He did very well as the 4th seamer unlike Barnes who has been dreadful. 

Edited by Sunbury Fox
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Hopefully the last we see of Lilley

Was about to post the same. When he came in we were bang in the game. His job was to play sensibly and stay with Mulder who was playing beautifully. Instead he comes out hitting the ball in the air every ball. Idiotic.

• Like 1

Shame about the result but had a good afternoon, almost certainly my last this season. Had the feel of a county championship game from when I was young, decent crowd but no gimmicks, loud music etc, allowed on the outfield at the break, just wish they had more people serving the bars. Where we were sat it almost felt like a home game for Kent, a lot of drunk, vocal support that seemed to upset the old boys.

I don’t think you can say the white ball season hasn’t been a success. Would’ve taken a finish in the later stages in one comp (but got two ((**** the ECB)).

Seems ridiculous given the whole surrounding if the competition to blame absentees, but as others have said, the injury to Scriven felt pivotal in the end. The competition has been about unearthing the likes of him and bar the overseas, who finally came to the party and then some, he’s been pivotal.

Thanks for giving us a bit of fight Foxes.

• Like 2

Excluding overseas players, this is our squad. Who will be here next season?

Ackermann

Azad

Evans (A)

Lilley

Mike (leaving)

Parkinson

Barnes

Griffiths

Rhodes (released)

Swindells

Hill

Bowley

Welch

Patel

Bates

Evans (S)

Steel

Davis

Wright

Kimber

Sakande

Ahmed

Walker

Scriven

Finnan

25 home players, though 2 gone already. I don't know the contract situation of the players but you could make a case for Ackermann, Parkinson, Barnes, Swindells, Hill, Welch, Patel, Wright, Kimber, Ahmed, Walker, Scriven and Finnan being retained. That's a squad a 13 before overseas and any new signings.

23 minutes ago, MaidstoneFox said:

Ackermann

Azad

Evans (A)

Lilley

Mike (leaving)

Parkinson

Barnes

Griffiths

Rhodes (released)

Swindells

Hill

Bowley

Welch

Patel

Bates

Evans (S)

Steel

Davis

Wright

Kimber

Sakande

Ahmed

Walker

Scriven

Finnan

25 home players, though 2 gone already. I don't know the contract situation of the players but you could make a case for Ackermann, Parkinson, Barnes, Swindells, Hill, Welch, Patel, Wright, Kimber, Ahmed, Walker, Scriven and Finnan being retained. That's a squad a 13 before overseas and any new signings.

You have forgotten about Vikai Kelley who we signed from warwickshire

26 minutes ago, MaidstoneFox said:

Ackermann

Azad

Evans (A)

Lilley

Mike (leaving)

Parkinson

Barnes

Griffiths

Rhodes (released)

Swindells

Hill

Bowley

Welch

Patel

Bates

Evans (S)

Steel

Davis

Wright

Kimber

Sakande

Ahmed

Walker

Scriven

Finnan

No Azad? Not been great this year but on his day comfortably our best red ball batsman. Or is he actually on his way out?

The problem as I see it is that we've a group of batters (and 2 keepers) in:

Azad, Ackermann, Patel, Steel, Welch, Hill, Swindells and Kimber.

Who are probably worth persevering with. Some are yet to fully convince but we're unlikely to attract more than one or two who are better in any case. S.Evans maybe sneaks in as well purely because he's home grown and the season before last did score 3 tons, needs to do better though.

In terms of bowlers who were any good, in my opinion we've got:

Wright, Ahmed and Parky.

And the former is 37.

Finnan, Walker and Scriven deserve more time I think.

Barnes, Griffiths, Davies, Sakande and A.Evans all look unthreatening in the Championship. Bowley and Bates have barely been seen. Lilley puts up 2 good scores a season. Rhodes and Dearden already going thankfully. Don't see enough from any of these to warrant keeping.

We need two or three pace bowlers in my opinion as our bowling figures with the red ball have been appalling. Mulder worth keeping on as with hopefully further adjustment to conditions he'll fill one of those slots and offer runs to boot. For the other overseas we really need a high class opener to pair up with Azad but are we going to find two domestic bowlers good enough? Difficult decision but on balance I think we need the bowler more.

If as rumoured Azad goes then we'll have a lot of work to do.

46 minutes ago, CrawlingFox said:

The problem as I see it is that we've a group of batters (and 2 keepers) in:

Azad, Ackermann, Patel, Steel, Welch, Hill, Swindells and Kimber.

Who are probably worth persevering with. Some are yet to fully convince but we're unlikely to attract more than one or two who are better in any case. S.Evans maybe sneaks in as well purely because he's home grown and the season before last did score 3 tons, needs to do better though.

In terms of bowlers who were any good, in my opinion we've got:

Wright, Ahmed and Parky.

And the former is 37.

Finnan, Walker and Scriven deserve more time I think.

Barnes, Griffiths, Davies, Sakande and A.Evans all look unthreatening in the Championship. Bowley and Bates have barely been seen. Lilley puts up 2 good scores a season. Rhodes and Dearden already going thankfully. Don't see enough from any of these to warrant keeping.

We need two or three pace bowlers in my opinion as our bowling figures with the red ball have been appalling. Mulder worth keeping on as with hopefully further adjustment to conditions he'll fill one of those slots and offer runs to boot. For the other overseas we really need a high class opener to pair up with Azad but are we going to find two domestic bowlers good enough? Difficult decision but on balance I think we need the bowler more.

If as rumoured Azad goes then we'll have a lot of work to do.

Weirdly just noticed Azad had changed his Twitter from Bat_Pad_Man to Ex_Bat_Pad_Man? A specific reference? Or he binning cricket off? Or am I reading to much in to it 😂

Edited by Tommy Fresh

23 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Weirdly just noticed Azad had changed his Twitter from Bat_Pad_Man to Ex_Bat_Pad_Man? A specific reference? Or he binning cricket off? Or am I reading to much in to it 😂

I assumed it was because he doesn't field there anymore?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Tommy Fresh said:

No Azad? Not been great this year but on his day comfortably our best red ball batsman. Or is he actually on his way out?

Given that he was dropped from the 4 day team, his contract is up and rumours are that Derbyshire are interested, I'm assuming he might be moving on.

The County has to prepare for a different sort of first class cricket configuration, with the ECB High Performance Review. This could be a stripped down 50 over comp moved to April and a three division, 4 day competition, made up of a Premier Division (probably no more than 8 teams as the review concludes that the current Div 1 is too big) and then two equal lower divisions with the numbers made up by the best of the National County teams.

If that sort of model is voted for then the chances of promotion get slimmer for a club like Leics and therefore it probably makes more sense to focus their recruitment even more on white ball players or at least multi-format players. The ECB hasn't decided on whether the £1.3 million payments for The Hundred will continue yet to counties, so that is also something to consider.

5 hours ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Did that at least before this pre-season. Maybe before last season. And as has been said, it’s to do with the fielding position. I hope we keep him to be honest.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, CrawlingFox said:

Interesting, doesn't look a bad player from what I've seen. Looks another like Scriven or Patel who has a very good second XI record (plus a few decent knocks in the one day cup).

Yep. Opens the batting, can play all formats, only 23 and a left-hander. Sign hm up.

• Like 2