Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sods

Leicestershire County Cricket Club

30 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Another defeat then. Thought we might have a chance in this game but heading for another comprehensive defeat. This has been a genuinely awful red ball season. We can't keep playing the same batsmen and having the same coach and expecting different results. Big changes are needed. 

Yep. Need changes. 

Potts is a brilliant bowler playing well beneath his level in division 2. Just our look for him to be playing. Think he played twice before this season. 

Not much in it without him 

18 minutes ago, Cakey said:

Yep. Need changes. 

Potts is a brilliant bowler playing well beneath his level in division 2. Just our look for him to be playing. Think he played twice before this season. 

Not much in it without him 

This is very true. It does him little good playing against our lot. Cheap and easy wickets. He needs to move to Division one really.

8 hours ago, CrawlingFox said:

Incidentally I see alongside Buck retiring that Thurston, Curran and Glover have been released by Northants.

I think we've been linked with a Northants batter so I'm sure either above would jump at the chance of another chance at a County. Would any other County be in for either though?

Curran has had a terrible season, he'd be just filling up the seconds here, while Academy players weren't getting a chance. Both the batters are mid-20s and average mid-20s, so I'm not sure, even though Thurston has had some big scores in their seconds. We don't want another Rhodes situation.

If we have two overseas in red ball next season I'd probably go for Mulder and a top 4 batter. I think you need to start from the point of getting big scores and being difficult to beat. But that would mean there wouldn't be many spaces left at the top of the order for many more batters, if most of the current group stay.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, MaidstoneFox said:

Curran has had a terrible season, he'd be just filling up the seconds here, while Academy players weren't getting a chance. Both the batters are mid-20s and average mid-20s, so I'm not sure, even though Thurston has had some big scores in their seconds. We don't want another Rhodes situation.

If we have two overseas in red ball next season I'd probably go for Mulder and a top 4 batter. I think you need to start from the point of getting big scores and being difficult to beat. But that would mean there wouldn't be many spaces left at the top of the order for many more batters, if most of the current group stay.

I would agree. A player I would look at is Alex Blake who will be released at the end of the season by Kent (a reliable source informed me). 

I believe he could bat 6 for us in the CC and then take up Lilleys role in the short game. 

Good fielder also. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Cakey said:

I would agree. A player I would look at is Alex Blake who will be released at the end of the season by Kent (a reliable source informed me). 

I believe he could bat 6 for us in the CC and then take up Lilleys role in the short game. 

Good fielder also. 

Need a class batsman like Harris plus Mulder as our 2 overseas players and then look to get top young bowlers on loan from the big clubs to support Wright and Parky. Could we also prepare turning pitches at home and get both Parky and Ahmed in the CC team?

Edited by Sunbury Fox
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Need a class batsman like Harris plus Mulder as our 2 overseas players and then look to get top young bowlers on loan from the big clubs to support Wright and Parky. Could we also prepare turning pitches at home and get both Parky and Ahmed in the CC team?

Sounds like a good idea, but far too sensible for county!

1 hour ago, Cakey said:

Good fielder also. 

Good call, if we could get him up here.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sm1 said:

Being steamrolled by a team who hadn't won a 4 day game before. Zero games won between LCFC and LCCC. Both teams need coaching changes.

Don't worry Dieter Klein been appointed onto the coaching staff.No doubt Rhodes been offered the job of batting coach

24 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

It took him about 5 minutes to work out (incorrectly) that Parky was 27. Was painful listening.

The Durham commentator asked him if Leicester were playing in Europe this week.Not sure came the reply from the professional sports journalist Richard Rae.

29 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Said it before but with the Ashes being next year there must be no end of Australian batsman who fancy signing for a County and doing similar to what Labuschagne did. Someone like Pucovski would be sensational if he's available.

Batted for nearly 12 hours in a 2nd XI game this week. Gerrimin.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Voll Blau said:

Batted for nearly 12 hours in a 2nd XI game this week. Gerrimin.

Had it not been for the numerous cases of concussion I imagine he'd be a regular for Australia already by now. Can't see us being anywhere near savvy enough to tap in to that potential market though

Edited by Tommy Fresh

Thought Harris could have been secured for 150k for a 2  year deal. If we ditch some of the never will be brigade surely there is funds to improve the team. We waste plenty on players nowhere near 1st class level and to bring in an injured overseas player was scandalous 

• Like 4

I like to think that a good batting coach will be able to get the results necessary from some combination of:

Evans, Azad, Budinger, Welsh, Steel, Patel, Ackermann, Kimber and Swindells.

Plus a fully fit Hill who is our best bat these days.

I genuinly think there is enough talent in that lot to make up a decent top 7. At various points all have shown an ability to score runs against County attacks in my opinion. At least to the extent where I can't see us attracting better easily.

Bowlers however we've got Chris Wright who will turn 38 during the middle of next Summer and maybe Finan who I think may have something and them a whole heap of players who might periodically and inconsistently peak at average level at best. A few of these are young and may be worth persevering with but frankly Walker, Barnes or Scriven don't look like lads who can do more than pitch in every now and then. We're well served for spin though with Parky and Ahmed.

Reality is then that I think we need two overseas players who can bowl heavy workloads. One like Mulder (who admittedly bowled poorly in the four day format this season but I think is better than that) who can also provide runs would be ideal (could he bat higher than 6 if we brought him back?) but I think we need an Abbas type (wishful thinking...) signing too ideally, someone who is a banker for 50+ wickets a season.

I'd love to see a batting signing like Harris or an equivalent of Derbyshire's Masood this season but despite our batting folding frequently in the last couple games I think in the four day format over the course of the seaslm our bowling has actually been even worse than our batting.

Azad/Evans

Budinger

Kimber/Patel

Ackermann

Hill

Mulder

Swindells(wk)

Parkinson

Wright

Finan

Overseas bowler

For me with further improvements more than welcome if we can find them on domestic contracts and a whole lot of hoping a better batting coach gets consistent performances out of the top 3 and Swindells, 4-6 would be strong though.

Edited by CrawlingFox