Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sods

Leicestershire County Cricket Club

14 hours ago, CrawlingFox said:

I like to think that a good batting coach will be able to get the results necessary from some combination of:

Evans, Azad, Budinger, Welsh, Steel, Patel, Ackermann, Kimber and Swindells.

Plus a fully fit Hill who is our best bat these days.

I genuinly think there is enough talent in that lot to make up a decent top 7. At various points all have shown an ability to score runs against County attacks in my opinion. At least to the extent where I can't see us attracting better easily.

Bowlers however we've got Chris Wright who will turn 38 during the middle of next Summer and maybe Finan who I think may have something and them a whole heap of players who might periodically and inconsistently peak at average level at best. A few of these are young and may be worth persevering with but frankly Walker, Barnes or Scriven don't look like lads who can do more than pitch in every now and then. We're well served for spin though with Parky and Ahmed.

Reality is then that I think we need two overseas players who can bowl heavy workloads. One like Mulder (who admittedly bowled poorly in the four day format this season but I think is better than that) who can also provide runs would be ideal (could he bat higher than 6 if we brought him back?) but I think we need an Abbas type (wishful thinking...) signing too ideally, someone who is a banker for 50+ wickets a season.

I'd love to see a batting signing like Harris or an equivalent of Derbyshire's Masood this season but despite our batting folding frequently in the last couple games I think in the four day format over the course of the seaslm our bowling has actually been even worse than our batting.

Azad/Evans

Budinger

Kimber/Patel

Ackermann

Hill

Mulder

Swindells(wk)

Parkinson

Wright

Finan

Overseas bowler

For me with further improvements more than welcome if we can find them on domestic contracts and a whole lot of hoping a better batting coach gets consistent performances out of the top 3 and Swindells, 4-6 would be strong though.

Ahmed for Swindells, Hill to keep wicket 

• Like 2

Squad for tomorrow:

Ackermann, Ahmed, Barnes, Budinger, Evans, Finan, Kimber, Parkinson*, Patel, Scriven, Swindells+, Walker, Wright.

Mulder has gone back to South Africa, disaster! Interesting to see Azad dropped too now Evans is back and still no Welch or Steel. Wonder if any of them will still be here next season, think Steel may have another year but the other two are out of contract.

• Sad 1

58 minutes ago, CrawlingFox said:

Squad for tomorrow:

Ackermann, Ahmed, Barnes, Budinger, Evans, Finan, Kimber, Parkinson*, Patel, Scriven, Swindells+, Walker, Wright.

Mulder has gone back to South Africa, disaster! Interesting to see Azad dropped too now Evans is back and still no Welch or Steel. Wonder if any of them will still be here next season, think Steel may have another year but the other two are out of contract.

Another defeat on the cards with Middlesex pushing for a top 2 spot. With the RL50 starting in April next year (so other teams will have their best players available), we could be reduced to the whole season hinging on the T20 Blast. 

We are a distant bottom out of 18 counties this year. Last year we won 3 games in the revamped format though still finished 16th, but in 2019 we were 18th after only winning one game, 2018 we won 5 and finished 14th. In 2017 we didn't win a game, in 2014 we failed to win a game. Things are not getting any better, we are as bad this season as we have ever been in red ball cricket. We can't just write this format off, no other counties are doing this. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CrawlingFox said:

Squad for tomorrow:

What contracts did we have for our overseas? 

Just come and go as you fancy sort of thing? 

What other sport do people just sod off with a few games to go? 

Hendricks was here when nobbled 

Came back got fit then gone again. Bizzare. 

Couldn't be more obvious that we don't care about the four day format.

Even in that squad I reckon we only have 3 players who can be considered proven County players in Ackermann, Wright and Parkinson. The rest are various combinations of young, unproven or not very good - some (most?) even all 3! Swindells looked previously like he'd be OK at this level but has gone backwards and he isn't the only one.

I understand Hill is injured and they've chosen not to pick Mike so I'm assuming Azad is the same and leaving. But why just let the two overseas disappear? We just don't care.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sunbury Fox said:

We've selected only 4 frontline batsmen for this one, I see!lol

Genius. If your playing Scriven you don't need Barnes also. Both look to be pretty similar Scrivens slightly better. 

May as well have finished off with Patel in the side, even though he is out of form. 

Ahmed is playing which i like.

Just don't see Barnes doing much with Bat or ball 

Edited by Cakey
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, CrawlingFox said:

Mulder wins Royal London Player of the tournament edging Eskinazi into second place.

Well deserved, one of this season's bright points has been watching Mulder bat across all formats, would welcome him back.

Really good but we needed him for the last few games

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Cakey said:

Genius. If your playing Scriven you don't need Barnes also. Both look to be pretty similar Scrivens slightly better. 

May as well have finished off with Patel in the side, even though he is out of form. 

Ahmed is playing which i like.

Just don't see Barnes doing much with Bat or ball 

Agreed. The way I see it is that ideally we have Swindells at 7 for now then a batting all rounder at 6 and a bowling all rounder at 8.

First choice 6 and 8 were Mulder and Mike which looks about right.

Judging from his second XI averages prior to coming here Scriven can definitely bat so he looks like the next best 6.

Walker and Barnes both look to me like players who can contribute with either bat or ball but aren't really strong enough at either to fit into those roles at 6 and 8. Scriven could yet be the same but has looked OK so far. The former two can bat well enough to go in at 8 but haven't been great with the ball and they could bowl well enough to be at 6 but aren't good enough to bat there. As such our attack and lower order look makeweight.

Good to see Ahmed in the side and yet to really work out whether he's a spinner who can bat a fair bit like Parky or a genuine all rounder so we may know more within a few days.

Edited by CrawlingFox

3 hours ago, Sunbury Fox said:

We've selected only 4 frontline batsmen for this one, I see!lol

4 batters, 6 bowlers and a wicket keeper. Is that a balanced side.

Can only assume the rest of the available batsmen are not deemed up to standard or are thought of as being less capable than a feisty bowler with a bat.

24 minutes ago, Hitesh said:

They're gonna send him back...

No refunds!!

From Cricinfo: "Both (Pope and Clark) uppercut Yorkshire debutant Ben Mike over the cordon for sixes, thus prolonging what has been a long and expensive wait for a Championship wicket. The 24-year-old's last - Nottinghamshire's Liam Patterson-White on June 14 for former club Leicestershire - has subsequently been followed by 336 runs in 50.2 overs." lol

• Haha 3