Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sods

Leicestershire County Cricket Club

I generally don't give our boys much credit (they rarely deserve any) but we've been absolutely stitched up there. The umpiring and overall officiating of this game has been bizarre.

Ackers' decision was woeful. That is the worst LBW I've seen this year (and we've had some proper dodgy ones against us).

The decisions on 'light' also cost us that match.

I can't just be imagining that we've had some absolute umpiring stinkers against us this year?

• Like 2

It says everything about our efforts in the CC this season that a defeat by 80 runs is probably our best all round performance. The fact we were at least competitive against a strong Middlesex side does bode well, however, especially as we were missing our overseas players. 

Edited by Sunbury Fox
  • Like 1

Agreed on the recent posts.

After bowling awfully all season we now have Finan looking effective, Scriven who seems competent (with bith bat and ball) plus Ahmed stepping up to this pevel with ease. Concerns around our attack for next season are easing a bit I feel.

Concerns around our top order on the other hand...

• Like 1

I do hope the Club confirms whether or not Henderson is Director of Cricket.

We then need a batting coach, and an overseas top order batter (Henry Hunt of South Australia would fit the profile for me). Mulder back for all formats if he is willing to return. 

Try to sign one decent English first team fast bowler, so our team could look like this:

Budinger

Evans

Hunt

Ackermann

Hill

Mulder

Swindells

Ahmed

Parkinson

Finan

Wright

Or Hunt to open and Kimber in next, but we need a proper number 3. Much of that team plays one dayers too. Kimber definitely in for one dayers

• Like 2

Hunt is a good shout and would fit the bill.

Another I'd not mind us looking at would be Grant Roelofsen. He can open the batting in all formats and he keeps which could help get Ahmed in to the side in place of Swindells at 7 or 8 without dropping a pace bowler and ensuring Hill remains focused on batting. Had a taste of conditions up here for Essex too.

Budinger

Evans

Roelofsen(wk)

Ackermann

Hill

Mulder

Ahmed

Scriven

Parkinson

Wright

Finan

Kimber at 3 and Roelofsen opening an option.

Edited by CrawlingFox

9 minutes ago, CrawlingFox said:

I worry he might retire. Haven't heard anything but he'll be turning 38 half way through next season and after this season I wonder how much more he'd fancy...

Agreed. He is one player who can hold his head up high frankly.

I presume on the bowling front the following are leaving, although there has been nothing from the Club:

Sakande

Evans A

Griffiths

Davis (not sure if his contract is up this year)

So the current bowling group is Ahmed and Parkinson (excellent!), Scriven, Walker, Finan, Wright, Barnes. Have I missed anyone?

16 minutes ago, harpendenfox said:

Agreed. He is one player who can hold his head up high frankly.

I presume on the bowling front the following are leaving, although there has been nothing from the Club:

Sakande

Evans A

Griffiths

Davis (not sure if his contract is up this year)

So the current bowling group is Ahmed and Parkinson (excellent!), Scriven, Walker, Finan, Wright, Barnes. Have I missed anyone?

I think you're right with the exception of Bowley who you missed off, not that we've seen much of him.

Ahmed and Parkinson with Ackermann as a part time option is superb for spin. In fact we may even be well served attempting to gear the pitch for it.

Pace wise I'm more than happy with Wright and Finan as opening pair. The former has all the guile and experience and the latter has pace and aggression. I then think Scriven looks useful and good returns in the last game could confirm he's good enough to be first change bowler. Add in Mulder or an equivalent and we're in business.

I worry about the options beyond that. None of Davis, Griffiths, Evans and Sakande will be missed but I'm yet to be convinced Barnes or Walker are really up to it.

My concern with both is that as bowling all rounders they both seem good enough to bowl at 6 and be a fifth bowler or bat at 8 preventing a long tail but neither has looked like they can bat at 6 as a batsman or bowl at 8 as a frontline bowler if that makes sense. I do think Barnes shows flashes with both bat and ball that make you think he could be a player but Scriven has very quickly looked superior. Walker also has looked ok so at least if they're backups I think they're superior to the hopefully released foursome.

Still, this is where I think someone like Salisbury whose been rumoured and who is an out and out bowler with experience and an average of just over 30 wouldn't be a terrible addition to add depth.

If Wright retired we'd have a big hole.

Team news from the OS for tomorrow -

"Lewis Hill has recovered from the hand injury that has kept him out of action for the past month, and comes straight back into the fold. Colin Ackermann and Michael Finan both drop out after being given permission to attend pre-arranged personal commitments.

Leicestershire: Ahmed, Barnes, Budinger, Evans, Hill, Kimber, Parkinson*, Patel, Scriven, Swindells+, Walker, Wright"

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LBTufty said:

Team news from the OS for tomorrow -

"Lewis Hill has recovered from the hand injury that has kept him out of action for the past month, and comes straight back into the fold. Colin Ackermann and Michael Finan both drop out after being given permission to attend pre-arranged personal commitments.

Leicestershire: Ahmed, Barnes, Budinger, Evans, Hill, Kimber, Parkinson*, Patel, Scriven, Swindells+, Walker, Wright"

One step forward with Hill back in and two back with our best batter and best bowler from the last match out just about sums our season up though I've no doubt if they have personal commitments then they're well justified of course but it leaves us looking pretty poor...

Azad, Ackermann, Finan and Mike all missing from our best XI with no overseas players.

Evans

Budinger

Patel

Kimber

Hill

Scriven

Swindells

Ahmed

Barnes

Parkinson

Wright

Seems likely to me with Walker missing out. I can't fathom why with the season gone we haven't had a look at Steel or Welch in the batting order given we went into last week with four batters.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CrawlingFox said:

One step forward with Hill back in and two back with our best batter and best bowler from the last match out just about sums our season up though I've no doubt if they have personal commitments then they're well justified of course but it leaves us looking pretty poor...

Azad, Ackermann, Finan and Mike all missing from our best XI with no overseas players.

Evans

Budinger

Patel

Kimber

Hill

Scriven

Swindells

Ahmed

Barnes

Parkinson

Wright

Seems likely to me with Walker missing out. I can't fathom why with the season gone we haven't had a look at Steel or Welch in the batting order given we went into last week with four batters.

Evans can’t cut it either. 

12 hours ago, CoventryFox said:

Evans can’t cut it either. 

To be fair to Evans he has shown he has the temperament and patience to bat for long stints and that's difficult to coach.

The other areas of his game particularly a lack of scoring shots resulting in a strike rate that is just too low and an unwillingness to take on the short ball are coachable but he either hasn't been coached or hasn't improved.

I think he's probably worth keeping on as the reserve opener especially given he's a local lad but I'd worry if the plan was to start him for all 14 games next season.

• Like 1