Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sods

Leicestershire County Cricket Club

27 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

All in here:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/leicestershire-cricket-grace-revamp-plan-8219493

Very ambitious really. Would love to see it but would also need to be sustainable from a cricket point of view, rather than just events.

Yep, to survive the club does realistically need investment. If Old Trafford/Edgbaston can be torn up despite its history then so can Grace Road.

The main thing for me will be getting office/accomodation space which can be let on a big scale. That would bring in a level of income that would make the club self-sustainable. Improved facilities would also be great, because it really is a dump.

19 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Mock ups of the plans! Looks great tbh.

https://twitter.com/ci188ty4/status/1633028943837102082/photo/1

Looks like the major work is happening at either end. Old score board staying is a nice touch. Looks to be not a complete redevelopment so some of the current charm may stay. 

Edited by SemperEadem

Looks a decent plan, imagine the meltdown when it turns out we haven't sacked Rodgers as Top has a new found love of cricket and has opted to invest in this 😂. Issue will always be locality for drawing in crowds for actual cricket though, but good to try and boost revenue through other means.

1 hour ago, SemperEadem said:

Looks like the major work is happening at either end. Old score board staying is a nice touch. Looks to be not a complete redevelopment so some of the current charm may stay. 

I would say that looks like a complete redevelopment. The playing area will be made much smaller, existing facilities pretty much all bulldozed apart from the old scoreboard. The new build at the Bennett end looks like a mini version of what Edgbaston has which would be great. I wonder if what's in the top right corner is a new meet as well (which would be great). The benefit of doing it this way looks like they could redevelop it end by end over a couple of years.

18 minutes ago, BigWesMorgan said:

You would imagine that with the time, effort and money required to come up with these plans that there is some funding in the pipeline for the expansion 

I agree but they have gone after some pretty big investors before and it has not come off. That however was under previous regimes so perhaps now they are better set for it.

I guess the fear from an investor's point of view would be the way the cricket establishment is so determined to centralise the sport here in England to just a few major cities, so why fund a club/stadium that some at the top in the game would happily make redundant in the next few years?

Hopefully clubs like ourselves setting out plans like this shows ambition and a desire not just to be the parasites that the ECB/bigger clubs wrongly see them as. Good on LCCC for showing that vision and foresight even if this doesn't end up coming to fruition.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Lionator said:

I would say that looks like a complete redevelopment. The playing area will be made much smaller, existing facilities pretty much all bulldozed apart from the old scoreboard. The new build at the Bennett end looks like a mini version of what Edgbaston has which would be great. I wonder if what's in the top right corner is a new meet as well (which would be great). The benefit of doing it this way looks like they could redevelop it end by end over a couple of years.

I agree, it looks like nothing survives. If that's the case then would they be able to play there the whole time with such a rebuild going on? Or.. is this an aspirational plan with a watered down, cheaper option actually more realistic.

1 hour ago, Voll Blau said:

I guess the fear from an investor's point of view would be the way the cricket establishment is so determined to centralise the sport here in England to just a few major cities, so why fund a club/stadium that some at the top in the game would happily make redundant in the next few years?

Hopefully clubs like ourselves setting out plans like this shows ambition and a desire not just to be the parasites that the ECB/bigger clubs wrongly see them as. Good on LCCC for showing that vision and foresight even if this doesn't end up coming to fruition.

Offer them first dibs on the land, or even part ownership of the land, should the club be made redundant by the ECB. 

5 hours ago, MaidstoneFox said:

Nice ideas and plans, but who is going to invest £60 million on this?

Given the amount of housing on that plan, I imagine a new build developer might chip a fair amount in? Or at least that's our hope.

Looks great, thing is with all our sporting grounds is they're a nightmare to get to whether parking or using public transport. 

Football ground is 15 mins from train, Rugby not far behind. Cricket ground is currently in the middle of tight residential streets and out the way of the city.

No matter what we do to any of these grounds, how do we improve that point?

There's no way that ground gets England games no matter how shiny it looks given what surrounds it.

Bristol is the most similar logistically, but they have enough space around the ground to attract England ODI's and T20's and benefit from Bristol's local train stops, as well as a big main road full of bars and restaurants next to it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AjcW said:

Given the amount of housing on that plan, I imagine a new build developer might chip a fair amount in? Or at least that's our hope.

Looks great, thing is with all our sporting grounds is they're a nightmare to get to whether parking or using public transport. 

Football ground is 15 mins from train, Rugby not far behind. Cricket ground is currently in the middle of tight residential streets and out the way of the city.

No matter what we do to any of these grounds, how do we improve that point?

There's no way that ground gets England games no matter how shiny it looks given what surrounds it.

Bristol is the most similar logistically, but they have enough space around the ground to attract England ODI's and T20's and benefit from Bristol's local train stops, as well as a big main road full of bars and restaurants next to it.

Grace Road’s location really holds it back nowadays on so many levels. Never mind attracting people for drinks after work on weekdays, you’d struggle to persuade rent paying businesses to move to what is a housing estate more than half an hours walk outside the city. Same with any hotel.

Are the proposals to buy the homes around the ground and bulldoze them? Or is it a much smaller ground?

Can’t see it ever happening, but at least they’re trying something.