Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sods

Leicestershire County Cricket Club

14 hours ago, Blueman1967 said:

three wickets, all day, then get taken off for bad lights(floodlights are on) why can they play one day cricket with floodlights on?  but not championship cricket(four days), fourteen overs lost today.

They played under floodlights the other night for a bit and even after when the floodlights were turned off at 7pm as the council tell the club to do. 

They are going OK. Glamorgan batted slowly but surely killed any chance of a result. I mean we won best part of 3 days. Its solid. Bowlers didn't get battered. Lacked a cutting edge. Northeast catch had stuck. Who knows. It's a decent start. 

3 games in and we have Patel, Ackermann and Hill at 2nd, 3rd and 4th in the div 2 run scorers chart respectively. Hanscombe in 6th too.

If the batting can maintain that sort of level then we should achieve a respectable season as a minimum. No small thing for us...

Ahmed and Budinger have also shown they can bat and quickly add runs in a way that could change games further supporting how we look in that department.

Altgough even if Rahane comes in and bats as well as Hanscombe so far, I'm interested to see if Swindells then returns to the side to take the gloves or whether Nixon thinks Budinger is good enough and that keeps the rest of the side settled. A long way to to until then I suppose in any case.

With the ball Wright is bowling well but we need a couple others to start taking regular wickets if we're to go beyond respectable and actually threaten to win more often than draw. He's still got good spells in him but he can't carry us all season. Scriven looks a better bet than Salisbury or Barnes in my opinion and Finan will have good days so maybe there is promise. I feel like whether Mulder finds his form bowling wise could make or break our season...

1 hour ago, Cakey said:

They are going OK. Glamorgan batted slowly but surely killed any chance of a result. I mean we won best part of 3 days. Its solid. Bowlers didn't get battered. Lacked a cutting edge. Northeast catch had stuck. Who knows. It's a decent start. 

What about the 200 odd stand between Cooke &  Neser for the eight wicket neither look like getting out.

10 hours ago, when_you're_smiling said:

They played under floodlights the other night for a bit and even after when the floodlights were turned off at 7pm as the council tell the club to do. 

That's why l don't understand why they went off, it was 5.50PM when they went off, even if it look over the natural light, which is a crap rule.

6 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

Apologies if this is a bit of a dense question ... but why is there very little County cricket throughout most of July? 

The T20 Blast is on the first two weekends at the Q/Final and Finals Day. So might not show up on the calendar. 

10th-13th

19th-22nd 

Leics are playing County Champs

And most of all the Ashes are on - which affects player and ground availablity. 

On 30/04/2023 at 19:22, CrawlingFox said:

3 games in and we have Patel, Ackermann and Hill at 2nd, 3rd and 4th in the div 2 run scorers chart respectively. Hanscombe in 6th too.

If the batting can maintain that sort of level then we should achieve a respectable season as a minimum. No small thing for us...

Ahmed and Budinger have also shown they can bat and quickly add runs in a way that could change games further supporting how we look in that department.

Altgough even if Rahane comes in and bats as well as Hanscombe so far, I'm interested to see if Swindells then returns to the side to take the gloves or whether Nixon thinks Budinger is good enough and that keeps the rest of the side settled. A long way to to until then I suppose in any case.

With the ball Wright is bowling well but we need a couple others to start taking regular wickets if we're to go beyond respectable and actually threaten to win more often than draw. He's still got good spells in him but he can't carry us all season. Scriven looks a better bet than Salisbury or Barnes in my opinion and Finan will have good days so maybe there is promise. I feel like whether Mulder finds his form bowling wise could make or break our season...

And surely just winning games and being competitive is a massive leap forward and helps justify our existence, especially if we develop young England players as well (Patel could make a Lions squad if he keeps this start up). Last season a lot of voices on here were saying we needed an overseas bat and a batting coach so that we got runs on the board, therefore at least not being skittled out for a quick loss. Well looks like we were right!

Might be worth giving Will Davis a go in the next match, he's got 9 wickets so far in the 2nd XL game.

• Like 3

Team for tomorrow? I'd go:

Patel

Budinger

Ackermann

Hill

Handscomb

Mulder

Ahmed

Scriven

...Walker

Wright

Finan

Most of that is refreshingly easy to pick. Only small issue is I feel like Mulder and Ahmed batting higher up means we end up with one from Barnes, Parkinson or my pick Walker at 9 as a sort of make weight who does bowl but also lengthens the batting a bit when we already have 5 bowlers in the side. If Parky is fit and the pitch looks helpful then he'd be in.

On current form Mulder is looking a bit like that sort of player so you could drop him to 8 and fit in someone like Kimber at 6. Won't happen obviously but fingers crossed Mulder finds his best form this week as he's key for the balance in our side.

8 hours ago, CrawlingFox said:

Team for tomorrow? I'd go:

Patel

Budinger

Ackermann

Hill

Handscomb

Mulder

Ahmed

Scriven

...Walker

Wright

Finan

Most of that is refreshingly easy to pick. Only small issue is I feel like Mulder and Ahmed batting higher up means we end up with one from Barnes, Parkinson or my pick Walker at 9 as a sort of make weight who does bowl but also lengthens the batting a bit when we already have 5 bowlers in the side. If Parky is fit and the pitch looks helpful then he'd be in.

On current form Mulder is looking a bit like that sort of player so you could drop him to 8 and fit in someone like Kimber at 6. Won't happen obviously but fingers crossed Mulder finds his best form this week as he's key for the balance in our side.

Swap in Hull for Walker

Definitely can get a win there  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Swap in Hull for Walker

Definitely can get a win there  

You called it. Hope to see Hull go well against a Derbyshire batting lineup which looked good last season when fueled on 'Mickey Arthur effect' (and Shan Masood double tons) but is short on confidence and not looking the same unit so far this season...let's hope they don't start the turnaround against us. I also fancy our in form batting to rack up some runs against their so far lacklustre attack on a deck that is usually conducive to draws.

24 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Wanna be winning this one if we have any serious ambition of competing at the top. Derbyshire have been cack so far this season. 

Agreed. We seem to have swapped roles based on last season. Promising start from us, bilge from them.

9 minutes ago, Lionator said:

49/4 now. What’s the track doing?

I wouldn't say it's a minefield by any stretch, Conners and Chappell were seen off without much fuss. Brookes and Reece bowling well though.

Edited by CrawlingFox

2 minutes ago, Father Ted said:

We were offered Henry Brookes last week before Derbyshire were but declined as we have too many similar bowlers…

We'll see how similar later today (just after lunch? :angry:) when we have a bowl. I'm sure our similar bowlers will rinse through them in the same fashion...

9 minutes ago, Father Ted said:

We were offered Henry Brookes last week before Derbyshire were but declined as we have too many similar bowlers…

His career stats are not average to be fair. Bowling average of over 40 before today. Maybe he’s just having a ‘Robbie Joseph’.