Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sods

Leicestershire County Cricket Club

• 3 weeks later...

Quite big this one...

Board Statement

Following Neil Davidson’s resignation as Chairman today, he has issued a personal statement to the press. The Board of Leicestershire CCC wishes to distance itself from the statement he has made.

The off-field problems of the Club can be traced back to the resignation of the former Chief Executive at the end of June and it is unfair to place any blame on the Captain and players, who ended the season with some exceptional performances.

Matthew Hoggard has had an excellent first season with the Club, has taken 50 Championship wickets and has grown into the captaincy as the season progressed. Matthew is highly respected within the dressing room and he and all the players have the full support of the Board.

The County is now ideally placed to capitalise on the excellent work undertaken by Tim Boon and our outstanding coaching staff. Negotiations are well advanced with those players out of contract and we expect to make announcements shortly.

Whilst the Board recognises the positive contribution Neil Davidson has made during his seven years as Chairman, it now wishes to put recent events in the past and get on with the job of addressing the day-to-day running of the Club.

Hopefully next season the club can just get on with further progressing lccc back to div1 etc instead of all these petty squabbles. :scarf:

Hopefully Leicestershire are now on the up, despite Boon leaving.

I'm a LCFC season ticket holder (been going for 30 years now, started aged 8) but I probably watch more cricket on TV rather than football (however don't under estimate my love of football!) yet I've only been to Grace Road for a handful of games.

A lot of it is to do with the state of Grace Road (maybe I’ve been spoilt going to away games with LCFC and the improved grounds) but surely it's more important when you will be spending a day there that things are up to scratch?

I watch all England games (cricket) and a large number of County games on TV (and watch some England games in person, i've been to Trent Bridge, The Oval and Lord's) I am a Leicestershire fan, my point is surely Leicestershire should be trying to attract the likes of me yet what amazes me is that Leicestershire is the ONLY county that isn't improving it's ground.

Now I know there are plans (but they are only that) and the conditions the Council imposed when Leics brought the ground have made things tougher (and there have been talks to lift these) but I’m sure other similar sized counties had similar problems and finances yet have built or are building.

All Davidson used to do was moan, other counties got on with things I'm sure they realised they had to speculate to accumulate so to speak. Just like improving a football ground or moving to a new one tends to increase attendances I’m sure improving Grace Road would do similar, I would go and I’m sure I’m not alone, I don't think lower membership is just down to performances on the pitch.

I don't know what others think?

Hopefully Leicestershire are now on the up, despite Boon leaving.

I'm a LCFC season ticket holder (been going for 30 years now, started aged 8) but I probably watch more cricket on TV rather than football (however don't under estimate my love of football!) yet I've only been to Grace Road for a handful of games.

A lot of it is to do with the state of Grace Road (maybe I’ve been spoilt going to away games with LCFC and the improved grounds) but surely it's more important when you will be spending a day there that things are up to scratch?

I watch all England games (cricket) and a large number of County games on TV (and watch some England games in person, i've been to Trent Bridge, The Oval and Lord's) I am a Leicestershire fan, my point is surely Leicestershire should be trying to attract the likes of me yet what amazes me is that Leicestershire is the ONLY county that isn't improving it's ground.

Now I know there are plans (but they are only that) and the conditions the Council imposed when Leics brought the ground have made things tougher (and there have been talks to lift these) but I’m sure other similar sized counties had similar problems and finances yet have built or are building.

All Davidson used to do was moan, other counties got on with things I'm sure they realised they had to speculate to accumulate so to speak. Just like improving a football ground or moving to a new one tends to increase attendances I’m sure improving Grace Road would do similar, I would go and I’m sure I’m not alone, I don't think lower membership is just down to performances on the pitch.

I don't know what others think?

Cricket ,unfortunalely in the last ten years has become a case of the haves and the have nots, and Leicestershire are a have not. It is difficult for Leics to compete with the larger clubs. The ECB are now it seems looking after about 10 counties all of which either hold 1 day internationals or test matches, Yorks, Lancs, Surrey, Notts, Warks, Glam, Hants, Durham, Gloucs, and of course Lords are the chosen few, the revenue an England game can create for these counties is enourmous. Back in the 90's when Leics were successful it was more of an even playing field, now it is a struggle for the lesser counties to compete, wages have to go on players so there is not much left in the kitty for ground improvements. Why cricket does not have a transfer system is beyond me as this would provide additional revenue for lesser clubs and a reward for bringing through young players, as at the moment a county can bring through a youngster from say for example u11 age group right through to first team then lose him to a bigger county for nothing because a bigger county have the funds to pay far higher wages, example Stuart Broad.

If the situation continues as it is Leics will always struggle on and off the field.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...