Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sods

Leicestershire County Cricket Club

19 minutes ago, HybridFox said:

The best season from Leics out of T20 for a long long time. Undoubtedly good for the future of the club

If you’d have said in April that we’d get to the knockouts of the one day cup and be in promotion contention come September, I think we’d have all taken it. 

• Like 1

Hampshire will need a really big win and Kent have something to play for. They won well today but we have had some really big wins. As for Ben Mike the grass wasn,t greener in fact looks like someone pissed on it and took a dump. A solid season with us should have got him a 100 gig and that is where the money is

Have we got any Einsteins out there, who know exactly how Run Rate works?

Specifically, what would Hampshire need to do, to overtake our RR of 1.302 from their current 1.171 ?

(obviously assuming that they beat Kent ... not a foregone conclusion)

I genuinely have no idea how they arrive at these amazing figures to 3 decimal points!

Edited by worth_the_wait
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

Specifically, what would Hampshire need to do, to overtake our RR of 1.302 from their current 1.171 ?

I genuinely have no idea how they arrive at these amazing figures to 3 decimal points!

I was trying to work it out during both games earlier and I came out with Hampshire having north of 2.000 with their win today so clearly I'm thick

1 hour ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Richard Rae is so annoying, definitely wants Yorkshire to win.

For that reason I turned off the commentary until it was clear we were going to win. We need to get a commentator who supports the club, like every other County. 

Edited by Sunbury Fox
  • Like 4

43 minutes ago, Lionator said:

If you’d have said in April that we’d get to the knockouts of the one day cup and be in promotion contention come September, I think we’d have all taken it. 

Yes it's been a very decent season overall, apart from the abysmal T20 campaign. Really great to see that we are developing young talent like Hull and Ahmed. And that we're picking up talented young cast offs from richer counties eg Patel, Scriven and Budinger. That was the secret behind our great success back in the 90s. 

Given all this, it was a shame that today, on a perfect summer's day, the crowd looked pretty sparse for a crucial game. Hopefully we'll get a much better turn out for the knockout game(s).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, worth_the_wait said:

The Net Run Rate (NRR) comes into consideration in tournaments and is only calculated for teams competing. The NRR of a team is calculated by dividing the total number of runs scored by the team in a tournament divided by the total number of balls faced with the result then subtracted by the total number of runs conceded in the tournament divided by the total number of balls bowled.

However, the exception is should a team be all out well before the completion of the regulation overs, then the full quota of overs that the team was supposed to bat is applied.

As an example, in an ODI tournament:

Match 1: India scores 300/5 in 50 overs and beats Pakistan by bowling them out for 270 runs in 40 overs. (Note, Pakistan’s overs will be counted as 50)

Match 2: India scores 275/7 in 50 overs and beats Sri Lanka by restricting them to 232/9 in 50 overs.

It means India has scored 575 runs (300 + 275) in the tournament in 100 overs. This amounts to a run rate of 5.75 per over (575/100)

It also means that India conceded 502 runs (270 + 232) and although bowled 90 overs (40 + 50), the all out rule comes into play to make it 100. The conceded run rate here is 5.02 (502/100).

The Net Run Rate for India in the above example, hence, is +0.73 (5.75 - 5.02).”

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Bert said:

The Net Run Rate (NRR) comes into consideration in tournaments and is only calculated for teams competing. The NRR of a team is calculated by dividing the total number of runs scored by the team in a tournament divided by the total number of balls faced with the result then subtracted by the total number of runs conceded in the tournament divided by the total number of balls bowled.

However, the exception is should a team be all out well before the completion of the regulation overs, then the full quota of overs that the team was supposed to bat is applied.

As an example, in an ODI tournament:

Match 1: India scores 300/5 in 50 overs and beats Pakistan by bowling them out for 270 runs in 40 overs. (Note, Pakistan’s overs will be counted as 50)

Match 2: India scores 275/7 in 50 overs and beats Sri Lanka by restricting them to 232/9 in 50 overs.

It means India has scored 575 runs (300 + 275) in the tournament in 100 overs. This amounts to a run rate of 5.75 per over (575/100)

It also means that India conceded 502 runs (270 + 232) and although bowled 90 overs (40 + 50), the all out rule comes into play to make it 100. The conceded run rate here is 5.02 (502/100).

The Net Run Rate for India in the above example, hence, is +0.73 (5.75 - 5.02).”

So given it’s an average over 8 games, it would have to take a monumentally huge win for Hampshire to overtake us I’d imagine? They won incredibly quickly today and yet it only went up by 0.1.

Just now, Lionator said:

So given it’s an average over 8 games, it would have to take a monumentally huge win for Hampshire to overtake us I’d imagine? They won incredibly quickly today and yet it only went up by 0.1.

This is what I’m thinking, it has to be a huge win and a disastrous game for Kent 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lionator said:

As I read it, it seems that way. 

1 hour ago, SemperEadem said:

Not as many as I had thought might be.

I didn't think the day was pushed as much as last years was.

Rough guess at numbers? Given there were 1200 at Kibworth on Tuesday, from what I could see on the stream it appeared to be less than that. The Leicester public really does not make much effort to support its cricket team 

5 minutes ago, Harpenden Fox said:

Rough guess at numbers? Given there were 1200 at Kibworth on Tuesday, from what I could see on the stream it appeared to be less than that. The Leicester public really does not make much effort to support its cricket team 

Im not really good on the guessing. 

Yeah shame we get such low gates.

Suspect the football on the tele put a few off going down. The attendance did seem to increase after that had finished, but anyone travelling from further afield likely wouldn't have bothered.

Took two Germans yesterday and they enjoyed it. Obviously managed to explain the basics well enough to them that they vaguely understood what was going on anyway. They enjoyed the novelty of being able to go on the outfield at the interval, which I guess isn't a thing in any sport they'd be familiar with.

12 hours ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Yes it's been a very decent season overall, apart from the abysmal T20 campaign. Really great to see that we are developing young talent like Hull and Ahmed. And that we're picking up talented young cast offs from richer counties eg Patel, Scriven and Budinger. That was the secret behind our great success back in the 90s. 

Given all this, it was a shame that today, on a perfect summer's day, the crowd looked pretty sparse for a crucial game. Hopefully we'll get a much better turn out for the knockout game(s).

Heard Darren Gough say still get crap crowds down here then. Such a shame when we are picking up wins and playing exciting cricket

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Harpenden Fox said:

700 to 800 tops with a good few from Yorkshire

Not sure what we can do to boost the crowds. If people don't turn up on a beautiful summer day when we need to win to qualify for a semi final when will they turn up? I guess the proposed ground development might help as the current facilities aren't the best, plus on the Milligan Road side of the ground the seats are miles from the pitch. But the location of the ground is a problem too. It's not easy to get to and there are few local amenities such as good local pubs, etc. 

One further reflection on yesterday. The pitches we have had for 50 over games at GR have been really stodgy, which hasn't helped create the most entertaining spectacle. I hope they can sort this for the knockout game(s) as our batting line up is much better suited to fast scoring grounds, as we've shown in our away wins. 

• Like 1