Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sods

Leicestershire County Cricket Club

18 minutes ago, Graceroad said:

Don't think many will be back its like Coalville Town average gates 200 play Charlton in the FA Cup suddenly find 4k new supporters  makes me sick tbh

All of those, even the day trippers, will have been to a football game before. Think there were a few yesterday who’d never been to a cricket one. 

Guarantee everyone there yesterday will go to at least one game next season.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Bilsthorpe Blue said:

Any of the oldies on here remember when we played Carlisle at home and Chris Balderstone was playing for them,the kop were singing Leicestershire la la la and he gave them the thumbs up, he was playing in a crucial Sunday league match for the Foxes the next day, my how times have changed

Before my time but i know he once played a pro cricket and football match on the same day.

4 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Oh come on. This gatekeeping is just daft. It's days like yesterday that can give people the bug.

I took a mate to his first ever cricket match yesterday and he had a great time. I hope he comes back and I'll certainly be trying to get him down to Grace Road next summer.

Anyway, even if it was just a one-off for a lot of people then so what? It was just great to see so many people enjoying themselves who wouldn't ordinarily go to the cricket.

I know it's just a pet bug of mine my brother was one of those who went yesterday he's 44 he's  been GR twice.

22 minutes ago, Bilsthorpe Blue said:

Any of the oldies on here remember when we played Carlisle at home and Chris Balderstone was playing for them,the kop were singing Leicestershire la la la and he gave them the thumbs up, he was playing in a crucial Sunday league match for the Foxes the next day, my how times have changed

I do indeed!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Graceroad said:

I know it's just a pet bug of mine my brother was one of those who went yesterday he's 44 he's  been GR twice.

End of the day it's great to see potential new fans getting hooked in.  

And people who have followed county for years will get a level of pleasure from that win which the casual or new fan will never feel.  

Win win as far as I'm concerned.  

Edited by Bordersfox
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Harpenden Fox said:

Agreed. And Lewis Hill’s rotation of bowlers and field placement was elite 

Yep the Wright change in the middle was inspired. Then switching Ackers once Weatherley hit that six. Great, great captaincy. Scriven deserves a lot of credit too for how he bowled. 

11 minutes ago, Beagle said:

Just reliving yesterday and watching the recorded Sky coverage at home. We are 20-4 and Butcher says: “Valuable piece of real estate at Grace Road”! 

I’m speechless. 

Stuff like that should be a rallying cry for people to start attending matches. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Graceroad said:

Before my time but i know he once played a pro cricket and football match on the same day.

Indeed he did, the match County clinched the Championship in 1975, played for County at Chesterfield in the day, drove up to Doncaster, I think, played for Carlisle in the evening before returning the next day to complete his century. I was there on the first day of that match & also at Lords that year to see us lift the B&H Cup , taken by my Grandad at the age of 10  . But being at Trent Bridge yesterday with my lad & to win against all the odds , after being 19-4 probably topped the lot. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TrentFox said:

Having fallen out of love with County over last couple of years, I’m behind on the gossip. Why did Nixon get the push? Can’t find much on internet.  Or is it the sort of thing that means anyone answering the question ends up in court? 🤔🤔

Reading between the lines I think the players felt he was a bit over controlling by the end? 

Either way, it looks like Titch is getting the job full time. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Beagle said:

Just reliving yesterday and watching the recorded Sky coverage at home. We are 20-4 and Butcher says: “Valuable piece of real estate at Grace Road”! 

I’m speechless. 

Sky were gutting we won, not that Hampshire lost. 

Even though the sense of occasion was pure, it's like Sky couldn't conceive that it was happening, and therefore refused to be bought into it at all. 

Glad the fans created such a raucous atmosphere though. They were excellent throughout. 

I've seen a couple of match reports, saying this was Leicestershire's first silverware for 38 years.

Funny that, because i'm sure when i saw them lift the County Championship trophy in 1996 and 1998, it looked a bit silvery to me.

I couldn't get to the T20 wins in 2004, 2006 and 2011.  But i bet they got some silverware for those as well.

• Like 1