Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sods

Leicestershire County Cricket Club

21 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

I've seen a couple of match reports, saying this was Leicestershire's first silverware for 38 years.

Funny that, because i'm sure when i saw them lift the County Championship trophy in 1996 and 1998, it looked a bit silvery to me.

I couldn't get to the T20 wins in 2004, 2006 and 2011.  But i bet they got some silverware for those as well.

First List A silverware in that time, (so 60/50/40 over comps).

Guest Chocolate Teapot

Anyone know what the fight between the hampshire lad and three other blokes was about? It was on the Radcliffe upper.

Wasn't a pretty sight at the end, blood everywhere.

Not sure I expected that at the cricket and the stewards were an average age of 85 trying to stop it.

1 hour ago, steve555 said:

Indeed he did, the match County clinched the Championship in 1975, played for County at Chesterfield in the day, drove up to Doncaster, I think, played for Carlisle in the evening before returning the next day to complete his century. I was there on the first day of that match & also at Lords that year to see us lift the B&H Cup , taken by my Grandad at the age of 10  . But being at Trent Bridge yesterday with my lad & to win against all the odds , after being 19-4 probably topped the lot. 

Almost right. He had just moved from Carlisle United at the end of their top-flight 74/75 season, where he played 27 games against the likes of Liverpool, Leeds, Everton, Arsenal et.al., in order to concentrate on his cricket ambitions with both the Foxes and England. The Foxes were playing in a 3-day game at Chesterfield against Derbyshire, with his new club Doncaster 30 minutes away by car, home to Brentford on the second day evening (Monday). He ran off to a waiting car at 6.30pm with 51 not out to his name, arriving at Belle Vue 7.05pm, 25 minutes before kick-off, where he played the 90 in a 1-1 draw. He then came back to the crease the next day and was finally run out for 116 before taking 3-28 off 16.3 overs in the Derbyshire 2nd innings as the Foxes comfortably wrapped up the CC win.

Not too shabby for a 34 year-old!

There's a good number of Carlisle fans of a certain age like myself, who starting supporting Leicestershire CCC in the 70s through the Balderstone connection and the teams having the same (running fox) club badge. 

• Like 3

Guest Chocolate Teapot
9 minutes ago, Cakey said:

Did see some of thst fight. Unfortunately. Ridiculous tbh. Stewards should have been on it but were about 80 wearing bus drivers outfits. 

Other than that a brilliant day

Ridiculous wasn't it

25 minutes ago, Cakey said:

Did see some of thst fight. Unfortunately. Ridiculous tbh. Stewards should have been on it but were about 80 wearing bus drivers outfits. 

Other than that a brilliant day

Tbh I would simply call the police if I were the stewards. Nobody should have to deal with that at a cricket ground. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, HaroldBazBo said:

We have to have about the loudest fan base on the circuit judging by that.

It's about time our County was given it's dues. A Leicester born captain, pivotal roles from 3 young academy produced players and England's youngest ever multi-format international emerging this year.

And when you dig a little deeper this is the pot list over the last 30 years:

Warwickshire 13

Gloucs (all shorter format), Lancs, Essex 8

Hants (all short format), Sussex 7

Leics, Notts (despite the pinching) 6

Durham, Kent, Glamorgan 5

Somerset, Yorks (massive club eh) 4

Middlesex (home of cricket eh), Northants 2

Derbyshire 1

We're one of only 9 counties to win the CC in that time. Northants have only won T20 and Derbyshire last won something 30 years ago.

We have more pots that 4 teams that have had Test Match status including the self styled biggest club in the UK. We have the same as Notts despite their behaviour and money. Also plenty more trophies that Somerset who have a far wider reach into the south west.

Who'd have thought it!

Excellent and informative post!

32 minutes ago, HaroldBazBo said:

We have to have about the loudest fan base on the circuit judging by that.

It's about time our County was given it's dues. A Leicester born captain, pivotal roles from 3 young academy produced players and England's youngest ever multi-format international emerging this year.

And when you dig a little deeper this is the pot list over the last 30 years:

Warwickshire 13

Gloucs (all shorter format), Lancs, Essex 8

Hants (all short format), Sussex 7

Leics, Notts (despite the pinching) 6

Durham, Kent, Glamorgan 5

Somerset, Yorks (massive club eh) 4

Middlesex (home of cricket eh), Northants 2

Derbyshire 1

We're one of only 9 counties to win the CC in that time. Northants have only won T20 and Derbyshire last won something 30 years ago.

We have more pots that 4 teams that have had Test Match status including the self styled biggest club in the UK. We have the same as Notts despite their behaviour and money. Also plenty more trophies that Somerset who have a far wider reach into the south west.

Who'd have thought it!

If a small fraction of Tigers and our fans got a membership or just went a couple of days a season it would make a massive difference. It's not pricey and you get over 40 days entertainment a year. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Harpenden Fox said:

My brother in law is a Hampshire supporting Pompey fan. He had mixed feelings to be fair. He’s final message to me yesterday was:

That's it cricket is dead to me

I do love how we're a one city county.

I'd prefer not to share other sports team with fans who'd ordinarily be your rivals like say Southampton and Portsmouth in Hampshire's case.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Foxmeister said:

It's really sad that LM isn't reporting on this, maybe they'll do something tomorrow but they completely ignored the journey to the final.

I noticed that. They were more bothered about reporting on James Maddison praising one of our goals on Friday night on his social media, than the historic day yesterday.