Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sods

Leicestershire County Cricket Club

1 hour ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

I do love how we're a one city county.

I'd prefer not to share other sports team with fans who'd ordinarily be your rivals like say Southampton and Portsmouth in Hampshire's case.

I think we're unique as being the only first class County, that only has one ("big") football club within it.   Most City football fans are County cricket fans, and vice versa ... so there's a real affinity between the two.

All the other counties either have multiple football teams, or they don't really have any "major" football teams.

(admittedly some like Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire. have one clearly "bigger" club ... Chesterfield in the case of Derbs and Mansfield Town in Nott's case!)

• Haha 3

39 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

I think we're unique as being the only first class County, that only has one ("big") football club within it.   Most City football fans are County cricket fans, and vice versa ... so there's a real affinity between the two.

All the other counties either have multiple football teams, or they don't really have any "major" football teams.

(admittedly some like Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire. have one clearly "bigger" club ... Chesterfield in the case of Derbs and Mansfield Town in Nott's case!)

Most of the other counties tend to pick up support from the active pensioner / early retired brigade who are comfortably off. Certainly Notts do (and to my annoyance, I find Notts members  unfailingly polite and fair) ....that demographic for Leicestershire goes down the Tigers. So County misses out on a core demographic that most others benefit from. 

I like the fact that we are an unusually working class cricket club. Very much embedded in the Saff and Aylestone. As unsexy as it gets. It's our USP and we could embrace it more.  

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Izzy said:

It was, he scored 34 not out.

I remember it too. We had a good side back then with Gower, Willey, Whitaker, Clift, Agnew etc. and beat an Essex team who had the likes of Gooch, Lever, Pringle and Foster.

38 years ago, bloody hell. What a long time to wait!! 

It really is. 

From memory Paddy Clift seemed to make vital contributions in more games than not, he was fantastic for the county, often with bat and ball?

Passed away very young too I think?

4 minutes ago, Plastik Man said:

It really is. 

From memory Paddy Clift seemed to make vital contributions in more games than not, he was fantastic for the county, often with bat and ball?

Passed away very young too I think?

Yeah, a quick Wiki check and he was only 43 when he died :(

I've still got the signed programme from his 10 year testimonial knocking about in the attic somewhere...

Career highlights

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

Great repertoire of songs yesterday.    There were loads more than this, but a few I remembered were:

Leicestershire, la la la, Leicestershire la la la
L C C C, L C C C
Harry Swindell, he's one of our own
You can stick the ECB up your a*se
You can stick you Trent Rockets up your a*se
Leicester, Leicester, Leicester
Come on Leicester, Come on Leicester
We love you Leicester we do
na, na na, na na na nah, na na na nah, Leicester 2 3 4
Stand up if you love Leicester
Shoes off if you love Leicester
When you're smiling
Leicester boys are we, proud of our City
If I had the wings of an eagle
Always sh*t on the red side of the trent
We hate Forest, we hate Derby and who the **** are Coventry
Ewan is a Welshman
Jamie Vardy's magic

and so many more ......................

Oh his name is Leonardo got an airing too 😂

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

Great repertoire of songs yesterday.    There were loads more than this, but a few I remembered were:

Leicestershire, la la la, Leicestershire la la la
L C C C, L C C C
Harry Swindell, he's one of our own
You can stick the ECB up your a*se
You can stick you Trent Rockets up your a*se
Leicester, Leicester, Leicester
Come on Leicester, Come on Leicester
We love you Leicester we do
na, na na, na na na nah, na na na nah, Leicester 2 3 4
Stand up if you love Leicester
Shoes off if you love Leicester
When you're smiling
Leicester boys are we, proud of our City
If I had the wings of an eagle
Always sh*t on the red side of the trent
We hate Forest, we hate Derby and who the **** are Coventry
Ewan is a Welshman
Jamie Vardy's magic

and so many more ......................

WYS sounded great on the TV

Something else worth remembering about Saturday's great win.

It came just 3 days after a heart-breaking defeat to Sussex - failing by just 15 runs, in what would've been the 3rd highest run chase in domestic County cricket history ... and also effectively ending their chances of promotion.   They must've been absolutely gutted and demoralised.   To pick themselves up from that, took some doing.

On 16/09/2023 at 18:26, Corky said:

Get them all down to the KP next week and parade that cup.

Let's all drop them an Email to prompt them (and remind them that they've done it for the Riders before, and I think the County some years back as well) ...

https://www.lcfc.com/club/contact?lang=en

I reckon any (or both) of these two Emails:

LCFC Help:  [email protected]

Leicester City in the Community:   [email protected]

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

Let's all drop them an Email to prompt them (and remind them that they've done it for the Riders before, and I think the County some years back as well) ...

Fair play @worth_the_wait ... you've played a blinder in drumming this up for county. Appreciate it.

Just sent city a message on Instagram 

Edited by Paninistickers
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Fair play @worth_the_wait ... you've played a blinder in drumming this up for county. Appreciate it.

Just sent city a message on Instagram 

Hopefully I don't come across a prat but I don't think instagram is the way to go if you want to get it read. An email would at least be seen wheres as instagram likely straight into a huge junk folder.

Edited by SemperEadem

1 hour ago, worth_the_wait said:

I wouldn’t bother, the hierarchy at LCFC are so far detached from this City that Saturdays events highlighted to me how little interest I have in them any longer, sadly.

Edit: LCFC didn’t even host a FA Cup trophy parade nor did we take it for a lap around the ground once fans were allowed back in to the ground. 

Edited by Father Ted

17 minutes ago, Father Ted said:

I wouldn’t bother, the hierarchy at LCFC are so far detached from this City that Saturdays events highlighted to me how little interest I have in them any longer, sadly.

Edit: LCFC didn’t even host a FA Cup trophy parade nor did we take it for a lap around the ground once fans were allowed back in to the ground. 

Kinda why it's down to us to force good behaviours at the club 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Kinda why it's down to us to force good behaviours at the club 

It shouldn’t be on us. It’s clearly evident to both clubs that people who have avid interests in football and cricket will likely support both clubs. 

LCFC quick to promote anything to do with diversity or pride or Thailand but your sister local cricket club… nahhh. No sympathy at all from me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Father Ted said:

It shouldn’t be on us. It’s clearly evident to both clubs that people who have avid interests in football and cricket will likely support both clubs. 

LCFC quick to promote anything to do with diversity or pride or Thailand but your sister local cricket club… nahhh. No sympathy at all from me. 

You're not wrong.   But we have to try.    It might not do any good.   But it just might.    We have to keep on trying (even though we shouldn't have to!)