Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sods

Leicestershire County Cricket Club

9 hours ago, CrawlingFox said:

They both average a 50 every 25 innings or so with Lilley having played a hundred games more. Budinger averages 13 at 134 and Lilley averaged 20 at 147.

If Budinger is going to play 100 more he'll need to significantly improve though at least he seems to control his discipline.

Didn't realise  Lilley averaged 20 that's  a fairly decent average in T20 esp with that strike rate seems the criticism maybe unjustified. Shame the speed gun wasn't working last night would have shown Nick Knight up who said Hull needs to add pace he was clocked at 93mph v Yorkshire

• Like 1

I was at the theatre last night so I recorded the game on Sky and watched it into the early hours.  I wish I hadn't bothered.  Although I did admire and appreciate Moen Ali making batting look so easy.

Why do we keep selecting players who are out of form? Why do we keep using Neesham s a bowler?  I do not understand why Hill is not the captain in T20.  Why haven't we started using Wright yet?

Selection??? Who picks the team?  Perhaps they could explain the thinking behind the selections.  

Also why doesn't the Leicester Mercury (Leicestershire Live) report on the County cricket?  Not living in Leicester I like to read the about the City, the Tigers and the Foxes but the Mercury just repeates the same non-stories each day but nothing about the cricket.

1 hour ago, LBTufty said:

The reality is we wouldn't have troubled the North Group top 6 let alone the top 4 without the addition of Goldsworthy and Currie; it's a big concern that they won't be here (or adequately replaced) next campaign.

As others have said or alluded to, T20 players well past their sell-by date (thanks Pete, thanks Jimmy) can do one. Budinger seems to have gone backwards since joining us from Notts' 2nd XI, if his contract was up at the end of the season I wouldn't renew.

To be fair to Neesham, his batting played a big part in us winning the 2 games v Notts and Northants. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, old-dave said:

I was at the theatre last night so I recorded the game on Sky and watched it into the early hours.  I wish I hadn't bothered.  Although I did admire and appreciate Moen Ali making batting look so easy.

Why do we keep selecting players who are out of form? Why do we keep using Neesham s a bowler?  I do not understand why Hill is not the captain in T20.  Why haven't we started using Wright yet?

Selection??? Who picks the team?  Perhaps they could explain the thinking behind the selections.  

Also why doesn't the Leicester Mercury (Leicestershire Live) report on the County cricket?  Not living in Leicester I like to read the about the City, the Tigers and the Foxes but the Mercury just repeates the same non-stories each day but nothing about the cricket.

The online version of the Mercury is not a local newspaper in the way that the print version used to be. It is purely about revenue and which stories will get clicks. Therefore you have 5 or 6 stories about transfer rumours for City and rviews of burgers joints as these all get clicks. The old print newspaper had a basic remit for covering local news, politics, culture, history and local sport in quite a broad sense. Journalists like Martin Johnson and Jon Culley, started there and went on to work nationally, but the whole journalistic blueprint has changed. Personally I prefer 2024 as there are reports and articles on our games in multiple sources like Cricinfo, The Cricketer etc, that didn't exist in a pre-digital age.

Short term signings are always a bit weird and can go either way. Just expect someone to turn up and score runs immediately, especially in T20 where its a bit of a lottery as to whether it comes of. Neesham as never been a consistent bowler from what I remember either. 

1 hour ago, Sunbury Fox said:

So, what kind of team will we have available for the One Day Cup?

Budinger

Rahane

Hill

Kimber

Handscomb

Cox

Trevaskis 

Mike

Scriven

Wright 

Salisbury

Kimber will be in the Hundred.

Other available will be Swindells, Evans, Walker and Wood I think so probably sub in Swindells for Kimber. Not sure when Holland is back from the US.

Edited by CrawlingFox

We (and anybody) could lose more as The Hundred squads aren’t full yet. Northern Superspunkers (or whatever their name is) only have six official players ahead of their first game on Friday.

It’s ludicrous. But then could get more ludicrous….

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/article/2024/jul/20/cricket-the-hundred-twenty20-format-ecb-name-change

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, when_you're_smiling said:

We (and anybody) could lose more as The Hundred squads aren’t full yet. Northern Superspunkers (or whatever their name is) only have six official players ahead of their first game on Friday.

It’s ludicrous. But then could get more ludicrous….

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/article/2024/jul/20/cricket-the-hundred-twenty20-format-ecb-name-change

Can't see any more of our players being called up to the hundred

On 20/07/2024 at 07:51, old-dave said:

Even the football coverage for local "Live" websites is incredibly clickbait and reduced to the bare minimum of information. Journalism sold it's soul a long time ago.

11 minutes ago, Gamble92 said:

Even the football coverage for local "Live" websites is incredibly clickbait and reduced to the bare minimum of information. Journalism sold it's soul a long time ago.

Possibly. Although the reality is that with so much free content (BBC, Cricinfo etc) the demand for media for which we pay has crumbled. Back when I was younger and lived in Leicestershire the Merc was a proper newspaper in every sense of the word. Local news, national news, quality sports. But I would imagine the number of people who pay for a Mercury today compared with 40 years ago must be a fraction. 

35 minutes ago, Harpenden Fox said:

Possibly. Although the reality is that with so much free content (BBC, Cricinfo etc) the demand for media for which we pay has crumbled. Back when I was younger and lived in Leicestershire the Merc was a proper newspaper in every sense of the word. Local news, national news, quality sports. But I would imagine the number of people who pay for a Mercury today compared with 40 years ago must be a fraction. 

Especially when you consider it used to be about 30p and is now over £1 

Guest All foxed out

watching sam Evans batter notts is enjoyable . Anybody else following the stream?

1 hour ago, Corky said:

Went to Norfolk v Northants today (Tom New and John Sadler being the respective coaches qualifies for this thread ;) ) and had a great time. No gimmicks, no boundary/ wicket music, no Sweet Caroline; just a good game (560 runs between them) in front of a relaxed, fully focused crowd.

Bring the Minor Counties back into the main game in a knockout cup- an absolute disgrace they were taken out originally.

Perhaps instead of the Metro Cup have a tournament with the 18 first class counties and, say 14 minor counties. I used to love it when a minor county knocked a big boy out of the Gillette Cup. Unless it was us of course 

23 minutes ago, Harpenden Fox said:

Perhaps instead of the Metro Cup have a tournament with the 18 first class counties and, say 14 minor counties. I used to love it when a minor county knocked a big boy out of the Gillette Cup. Unless it was us of course 

Or instead of another tournament that runs concurrently to it...

On 19/07/2024 at 21:47, Sunbury Fox said:

Indeed.  Key issue was being "Samited" twice by Derbyshire, having been well on top in both games. 

This! he was just toying with us, i watched him take part in the Legends invitational tournament the other week for England which featured a host of retired players. The 2 derby losses and the draw against Northants. 1 more run in that game and we're talking about how great a campaign it has been and planning a trip to the oval :(

Roll on the Metro defence. (With half our squad in the hundred now)

2 hours ago, blurryface said:

This! he was just toying with us, i watched him take part in the Legends invitational tournament the other week for England which featured a host of retired players. The 2 derby losses and the draw against Northants. 1 more run in that game and we're talking about how great a campaign it has been and planning a trip to the oval :(

Roll on the Metro defence. (With half our squad in the hundred now)

We should still be the favourites  to retain the one day cup most sides sadly treating it as a development  competition again.  Think we are one of the few sides maybe The only one that will be fielding 2 OS players  and top quality one's as well

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Graceroad said:

We should still be the favourites  to retain the one day cup most sides sadly treating it as a development  competition again.  Think we are one of the few sides maybe The only one that will be fielding 2 OS players  and top quality one's as well

I think we’re a lot weaker than last season. Of course Rahane could solve a lot of those problems if he finds some form however.