Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sods

Leicestershire County Cricket Club

5 minutes ago, Harpenden Fox said:

Looked like a decent crowd at Chelmsford. Feels like the Metro Cup is establishing itself, and is almost refreshing as it levels the playing field somewhat 

Not so sure about that It favours us massively no chance that Essex 2nds going to beat the side we put out yesterday. Must admit  I don't know what to think part of me thinks fair play for being one of the very few sides to take this competition  seriously  but then on the other hand think it3 just don't seem fair that in a development  competition other sides are giving academy  players a chance while instead of playing jake Tarling Sam Woodvetc we are playing 6 over 30s it's a tricky one

2 hours ago, Harpenden Fox said:

Looked like a decent crowd at Chelmsford. Feels like the Metro Cup is establishing itself, and is almost refreshing as it levels the playing field somewhat 

Was at Derby yesterday and Grace Road last Wednesday. Best crowds I've seen at either for ages for a non-T20.

I think people are realising that if they want their counties to survive, they need to support this tournament. The decent weather and summer holidays will help a bit too, mind!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Graceroad said:

Not so sure about that It favours us massively no chance that Essex 2nds going to beat the side we put out yesterday. Must admit  I don't know what to think part of me thinks fair play for being one of the very few sides to take this competition  seriously  but then on the other hand think it3 just don't seem fair that in a development  competition other sides are giving academy  players a chance while instead of playing jake Tarling Sam Woodvetc we are playing 6 over 30s it's a tricky one

I think the reason we have an older team in this is because the players we have lost to the Hundred are all young. Out of necessity, we've actually been giving young players more first team chances than the likes of Essex do. Nevertheless, I would definitely look to give Sam Wood a go in this instead of someone like Salisbury. It would be good to give him some experience and I'm pretty sure he'd be at least as effective as Salisbury, based on his T20 efforts. 

Edited by Sunbury Fox

5 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

It's a fantastic tournament. The ECB, of course, despise it. As they do the t20. But it feels a throw back to the old NatWest that was played over the summer holidays. Settling in for a day's cricket. 

Loads of outgrounds being used too. Outgrounds being the unsung brilliance of English cricket (and antidote to that ECB hula hoop garbage) 

The ECB's official highlights package for our final win was beyond abysmal. I've no time for Sky but I'm glad their fill coverage is there for posterity.

The revival of outgrounds is great, as you say. Also the number of high profile overseas playing in it, mixing with up and coming English youngsters. Heard a tongue-in-cheek conspiracy theory that the BCCI are getting various Indian players involved to undermine the hundred. Thoughts @StanSP:ph34r:

Just now, Voll Blau said:

The ECB's official highlights package for our final win was beyond abysmal. I've no time for Sky but I'm glad their fill coverage is there for posterity.

The revival of outgrounds is great, as you say. Also the number of high profile overseas playing in it, mixing with up and coming English youngsters. Heard a tongue-in-cheek conspiracy theory that the BCCI are getting various Indian players involved to undermine the hundred. Thoughts @StanSP:ph34r:

I'm all for it lol

Sooner the hundred dies a sorry death the better. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Who on earth are the high profile OS players? In our group B 5 of the sides Inc Surrey haven't got an OS Glamorgan have Ingram Yorkshire Massod Gloucestershire  Bancroft pretty much the same in Group A most clubs even Derby haven't got any yes there are a couple of other Indian players playing Shaw at Northants good player but hardly high profile and Iyer at Lancs  who's almost 30 and has played the grand total of 2 ODIs. The only County apart from ourselves with 2 OS players are Lancs with iyer and Chris Green who's played 1 T20 for Australia and   Hants have Abbott and Abbas available again but Abbas only played once so far

31 minutes ago, Graceroad said:

Who on earth are the high profile OS players? In our group B 5 of the sides Inc Surrey haven't got an OS Glamorgan have Ingram Yorkshire Massod Gloucestershire  Bancroft pretty much the same in Group A most clubs even Derby haven't got any yes there are a couple of other Indian players playing Shaw at Northants good player but hardly high profile and Iyer at Lancs  who's almost 30 and has played the grand total of 2 ODIs. The only County apart from ourselves with 2 OS players are Lancs with iyer and Chris Green who's played 1 T20 for Australia and   Hants have Abbott and Abbas available again but Abbas only played once so far

Kent have two overseas in Swanepoel and Stobo, I think you're downplaying how strong some of these sides still are regardless, Surrey for example. Seems more like you're trying to find an issue with us more for not weakening ourselves

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Graceroad said:

Iyer, Rahane and Shaw deciding to play in this, when they could be doing other things, is a good vote of confidence in a tournament that the governing body organising it would gladly let rot away into a glorified 2s competition.

Iyer has back-to-back fifties in the semi and final of this year's IPL. He could easily be off raking it in in whichever Mickey Mouse comp is going on around the world right now.

1 hour ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Kent have two overseas in Swanepoel and Stobo, I think you're downplaying how strong some of these sides still are regardless, Surrey for example. Seems more like you're trying to find an issue with us more for not weakening ourselves

Never mentioned Kent because they are not even international cricketers. Disagree that Surrey are strong in the competition people forget that the likes of Burns and Sibley good players yes but are hardly suited to one day cricket they even had James Taylor let go by Derbyshire opening the bowling the other day

47 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Iyer, Rahane and Shaw deciding to play in this, when they could be doing other things, is a good vote of confidence in a tournament that the governing body organising it would gladly let rot away into a glorified 2s competition.

Iyer has back-to-back fifties in the semi and final of this year's IPL. He could easily be off raking it in in whichever Mickey Mouse comp is going on around the world right now.

They couldn't  be doing other things Indian cricketers are not allowed to play in any franchise  league apart from the IPL

10 minutes ago, Graceroad said:

Never mentioned Kent because they are not even international cricketers. Disagree that Surrey are strong in the competition people forget that the likes of Burns and Sibley good players yes but are hardly suited to one day cricket they even had James Taylor let go by Derbyshire opening the bowling the other day

But they've spent budget on signing them rather then playing kids though haven't they. If you're just basing it on being internationals then its probably harsh to dismiss Green but seemingly not Handscomb. You're also saying everyone is using as development competition, so the examples of Burns and Sibley not being the best white ball cricketers probably shows that isn't the case as Surrey are playing them over young lads as well.

4 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

But they've spent budget on signing them rather then playing kids though haven't they. If you're just basing it on being internationals then its probably harsh to dismiss Green but seemingly not Handscomb. You're also saying everyone is using as development competition, so the examples of Burns and Sibley not being the best white ball cricketers probably shows that isn't the case as Surrey are playing them over young lads as well.

They haven't spent budget on signing them they are already on full time contracts. Surrey have lost around 13 players to the Hundred so the side basically  picks itself from what players they have available if they took the competition  seriously  they would have signed 2 OS.. A good example of the distain  most counties have for this competition is Essex playing a 24 year old club cricketer who's a wicketkeeper batting at number 11

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hitesh said:

Most likely just the start - will no doubt put a further split between the "bigger" counties and the rest...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2024/08/01/delhi-capitals-owners-agree-deal-buy-shares-hampshire-ipl/

It’s fascinating. Whereas our economic dominance meant we once plundered/educated the rest of the world, we are now beholden to the financial strength of India and China. The axis of power shifts relentlessly from west to east

27 minutes ago, Graceroad said:

They haven't spent budget on signing them they are already on full time contracts. Surrey have lost around 13 players to the Hundred so the side basically  picks itself from what players they have available if they took the competition  seriously  they would have signed 2 OS.. A good example of the distain  most counties have for this competition is Essex playing a 24 year old club cricketer who's a wicketkeeper batting at number 11

But as you've told me before you get paid for what you play, they could easily say we'll pay you for Championship and T20 that's it, we don't need you for this. Why would they sign two overseas when Sibley and Burns are more than good enough if as you say everyone else isn't arsed? Fernandes has played seconds for Essex though he's not some random bloke they've picked up. Name a wicket keeper who they could sign from overseas, that would be worth their cash? With the Major League Cricket tournament just finishing and the Canadian one just starting up along with the Hundred taking place.