Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sods

Leicestershire County Cricket Club

17 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

But as you've told me before you get paid for what you play, they could easily say we'll pay you for Championship and T20 that's it, we don't need you for this. Why would they sign two overseas when Sibley and Burns are more than good enough if as you say everyone else isn't arsed? Fernandes has played seconds for Essex though he's not some random bloke they've picked up. Name a wicket keeper who they could sign from overseas, that would be worth their cash? With the Major League Cricket tournament just finishing and the Canadian one just starting up along with the Hundred taking place. 

Getting paid for what you play only applies  to OS signings and players who go off to play franchise  cricket ie if Notts wanted Alex Hales to play a 4 day game they would have to draw up some new contract.Who said Surrey needed to sign 2 OS batsman it's the bowling attack that's weaker. Sure there are plenty of wicketkeeper all over the globe who would be an improvement on the Colchester club  keeper   coming in at number 11 they could have had Westley keeping wicket and signed an OS bowler

1 hour ago, Graceroad said:

Getting paid for what you play only applies  to OS signings and players who go off to play franchise  cricket ie if Notts wanted Alex Hales to play a 4 day game they would have to draw up some new contract.Who said Surrey needed to sign 2 OS batsman it's the bowling attack that's weaker. Sure there are plenty of wicketkeeper all over the globe who would be an improvement on the Colchester club  keeper   coming in at number 11 they could have had Westley keeping wicket and signed an OS bowler

I'm sure they could draw up a contract at the start of the season and say we don't need you for this competition so we'll pay you a certain amount for so many championship games and so many T20.

We were discussing Burns and Sibley mainly though as you gave them as an example and one bowler.

Didn't say there wouldn't be people out there who are better? I said who would actually come and be worthwhile? It's not that weird they've given a lad who's played for their seconds a game is it, they aren't playing him for the sake of it.

54 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

I'm sure they could draw up a contract at the start of the season and say we don't need you for this competition so we'll pay you a certain amount for so many championship games and so many T20.

We were discussing Burns and Sibley mainly though as you gave them as an example and one bowler.

Didn't say there wouldn't be people out there who are better? I said who would actually come and be worthwhile? It's not that weird they've given a lad who's played for their seconds a game is it, they aren't playing him for the sake of it.

But it very rarely works like that Burns and Sibley will be on well over £100k a year even if they only played in the championship why would they agree  to just a championship contract when they don't have any options elsewhere? Not too mention the fact why would Surrey want 2 of there best 4 day players sitting idle in between  championship matches. Regarding the Essex keeper he's 24 so not a kid and I would say that yes they are almost playing him for the sake of ìt considering he's batting 11. Paul Farbrace said at the cricket society a couple of years ago it's just a development competition  and looking at the Sussex side he clearly hasn't changed his views

4 minutes ago, Graceroad said:

But it very rarely works like that Burns and Sibley will be on well over £100k a year even if they only played in the championship why would they agree  to just a championship contract when they don't have any options elsewhere? Not too mention the fact why would Surrey want 2 of there best 4 day players sitting idle in between  championship matches. Regarding the Essex keeper he's 24 so not a kid and I would say that yes they are almost playing him for the sake of ìt considering he's batting 11. Paul Farbrace said at the cricket society a couple of years ago it's just a development competition  and looking at the Sussex side he clearly hasn't changed his views

There’s 4 of our winning team from last year in the hundred this year so clearly there has been some development in that respect. Especially players like Hull and Patel. We have a small squad so continuing that will be hard hence why I’d have liked to see Evans and Wood get a go, plus I think Scriven is easily of hundred quality. 

37 minutes ago, Graceroad said:

The contract stuff we were on about overseas players so I'm not referring to Burns and Sibley in that respect but Stobo and Swanepoel.

So you also now agree Burns and Sibley should be playing if they're available, so why should Leicestershire be playing kids then? 

Unless they want someone who's actually good at keeping wicket? And aren't arsed about his batting ability. 

I agree that some counties see it as a development competition, but not to the extent that you seem to believe and I don't think Leicestershire should treat it that way either.

4 hours ago, Graceroad said:

The Essex keeper has played in all of their 2nds' T20s this year, including one which he skippered and another in which he scored 92 batting at three, plus some SEC games - so they clearly rate him a bit better than just the only club keeper in their county who happened to be available on Wednesday.

Think we need to stop fretting about who our oppo are and just enjoy the confidence our lot are playing with (Friday aside). As others have pointed out, we've also lost some of our best players this year. We seem to be rising to the challenge of coping without them on current form.

Edited by Voll Blau
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Graceroad said:

Who on earth are the high profile OS players? In our group B 5 of the sides Inc Surrey haven't got an OS Glamorgan have Ingram Yorkshire Massod Gloucestershire  Bancroft pretty much the same in Group A most clubs even Derby haven't got any yes there are a couple of other Indian players playing Shaw at Northants good player but hardly high profile and Iyer at Lancs  who's almost 30 and has played the grand total of 2 ODIs. The only County apart from ourselves with 2 OS players are Lancs with iyer and Chris Green who's played 1 T20 for Australia and   Hants have Abbott and Abbas available again but Abbas only played once so far

The overseas in the cup aren’t that different in calibre from those in the 100 who are getting six figure sums for a fortnight’s work. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

Not the point.

Winning a downgraded one day cup mattered to people 

Winning the hundred means nothing to noone. 

Absolutely. Our win was watched by fans who have followed a mostly rotten team around the country for decades. Whoever wins the Hundred is watched by people flogged cheap tickets and given assorted tat.

So glad this competition is strong. Good sides playing at a variety of grounds with encouraging attendances. Superb stuff.

• Like 2

I really hope other private equity oligarchs pick up 49% stakes in the Hundred and it continues to fall flat on it's backside to the extent where we pocket some cash and it collapses.

Not many international quality players fancy it (Pat Cummins being a prime example with his comments.

The crowds are bang average.

Most of the games are one sided.

It's not cricket.

The ECB need a root and branch reform.

There were plenty in at Chelmsford. The Metro has a real thriving audience. Cricket people who want to watch their county.

And we have Rahane for christ sake, how good is that?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, HaroldBazBo said:

I really hope other private equity oligarchs pick up 49% stakes in the Hundred and it continues to fall flat on it's backside to the extent where we pocket some cash and it collapses.

Not many international quality players fancy it (Pat Cummins being a prime example with his comments.

The crowds are bang average.

Most of the games are one sided.

It's not cricket.

The ECB need a root and branch reform.

There were plenty in at Chelmsford. The Metro has a real thriving audience. Cricket people who want to watch their county.

And we have Rahane for christ sake, how good is that?

What comments did pat Cummins make?

22 hours ago, Tommy Fresh said:

The contract stuff we were on about overseas players so I'm not referring to Burns and Sibley in that respect but Stobo and Swanepoel.

So you also now agree Burns and Sibley should be playing if they're available, so why should Leicestershire be playing kids then? 

Unless they want someone who's actually good at keeping wicket? And aren't arsed about his batting ability. 

I agree that some counties see it as a development competition, but not to the extent that you seem to believe and I don't think Leicestershire should treat it that way either.

I've never said Sibley or Burns should be either playing or not playing I simply said that they are not great white ball cricketers and yes I know Sibley had a good knock yesterday ,You only have to look at the table to see how Surrey regard this competition. Feel sorry for the sussex academy players  playing against  the side we are fielding tomorrow  if we bat first expect 350 they might scrape 200

1 hour ago, Graceroad said:

I've never said Sibley or Burns should be either playing or not playing I simply said that they are not great white ball cricketers and yes I know Sibley had a good knock yesterday ,You only have to look at the table to see how Surrey regard this competition. Feel sorry for the sussex academy players  playing against  the side we are fielding tomorrow  if we bat first expect 350 they might scrape 200

Sussex are missing the same number of players as us (Archer, Robinson, Mill, Coles, Alsop), aren't they? And the likelihood of one of those (Archer) playing would have been slim to nil if he was available anyway.

14 hours ago, LBTufty said:

Oh crap

"Jack Carson, Fynn Hudson-Prentice and John Simpson all return to the squad while Tom Alsop has been made available for the match after being away at the Hundred."

Good makes it a more satisfying  win if we play against the strongest side Sussex can muster. Farbrace  has rightly imo been getting bags of criticism  for the sides selected so far and has thankfully put out a stronger squad let's hope they play

47 minutes ago, Graceroad said:

Good makes it a more satisfying  win if we play against the strongest side Sussex can muster. Farbrace  has rightly imo been getting bags of criticism  for the sides selected so far and has thankfully put out a stronger squad let's hope they play

I get your point but it's still annoying that they have basically rolled over for 4 other teams and have then decided to play a much stronger team against us. We certainly owe them one after the 2 heroic defeats down there in the last 2 seasons, when some of their behaviour in the first of those games was appalling. 

1 hour ago, Sunbury Fox said:

I get your point but it's still annoying that they have basically rolled over for 4 other teams and have then decided to play a much stronger team against us. We certainly owe them one after the 2 heroic defeats down there in the last 2 seasons, when some of their behaviour in the first of those games was appalling. 

Don't worry Leics will still win comfortably.

1 hour ago, Sunbury Fox said:

I take it as a badge of honour that we have them completely rattled. Daring the stand up to racial abuse, the Chris Wright debacle, Kimber finishing off Ollie Robinson’s international career, they must hate us. 

27 minutes ago, Lionator said:

I take it as a badge of honour that we have them completely rattled. Daring the stand up to racial abuse, the Chris Wright debacle, Kimber finishing off Ollie Robinson’s international career, they must hate us. 

I genuinely don't think they do. It's all in your heads.

Looks like Budinger is finally starting click, in white ball at least. Can take a long time for players to make it in cricket - good job they can play until late 30s, in many cases. The coaches have really persisted with him and given him chances.

11 minutes ago, MaidstoneFox said:

Looks like Budinger is finally starting click, in white ball at least. Can take a long time for players to make it in cricket - good job they can play until late 30s, in many cases. The coaches have really persisted with him and given him chances.

I'm not so sure, he's always had a really good 50 over record and it was what we basically signed him on the strength of.

He's shown very little ability to transfer that form into either the longer or shorter format.

So far he's something of a flat track bully, able to make hay against the weakened attacks in the One Day Cup but comes undone when facing first choice attacks in the CC or Blast.

Really hope he can take the confidence and push on in the run in once we're back to four day cricket as if not then it could mean we've seen both he and Evans whom he plays ahead of fail this season and we'll need to seriously think about a new partner for Patel next season.

I hope Evans actually gets a shot in the CC as well, perhaps he and Patel open followed by Hill, Handscomb and Rahane with Kimber and Budinger coming in lower down where they could do some damage against an old ball and tired attack. Might mean we're limited to a 4 man attack + few overs of Kimber though.

Edited by CrawlingFox