Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sods

Leicestershire County Cricket Club

Mike on balance has been a good (re)signing. He’ll always frustrate given his ability but he’s a matchwinner.

Handscomb coming into form is what we need.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Given the mess Warwickshire made of our run rate, looks like the best we can manage is 3rd place in the group, given the form of Warwickshire and Glamorgan. 

Not necessarily  they have to play each other so one of them will lose points plus we play Glamorgan who aren't  particularly  taking the comp serouisley  they rested there 2 best players Van der Gugden and Ingram yesterday to play those well known cricketers  Asa Tribe and Ben Morris.can you imagine us resting Rahane and one of the bowlers and playing Jake Tarling and Sam Wood

9 hours ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Still a good side and they still won

Not the point they chose to rest there best bowler and best batsman in a companion  they have a decent shout in and it almost cost them Essex 2nds had them on the ropes.  Another good effort by that strong Surrey side yesterday only lost by 107

51 minutes ago, Graceroad said:

Not the point they chose to rest there best bowler and best batsman in a companion  they have a decent shout in and it almost cost them Essex 2nds had them on the ropes.  Another good effort by that strong Surrey side yesterday only lost by 107

Had them on the ropes? Essex put on a very good last wicket to make it respectable. You can also lose cricket games with a decent line up, not sure if you're aware of that

8 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Had them on the ropes? Essex put on a very good last wicket to make it respectable. You can also lose cricket games with a decent line up, not sure if you're aware of that

Take it you didn't watch it Essex last wicket pair  put on 68 in 6 overs Glamorgan were seriously  on the ropes. Of course you can lose games with a decent line up but far more chance of losing if you  put out a sub standard side

8 minutes ago, Graceroad said:

Take it you didn't watch it Essex last wicket pair  put on 68 in 6 overs Glamorgan were seriously  on the ropes. Of course you can lose games with a decent line up but far more chance of losing if you  put out a sub standard side

Did you just ignore what I said ?

26 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Did you just ignore what I said ?

You said sides can still lose games with a decent line up out I agreed  with you but added the obvs remark  that's its less likely if you field your strongest 11.How have I ignored what you said

15 minutes ago, Graceroad said:

You said sides can still lose games with a decent line up out I agreed  with you but added the obvs remark  that's its less likely if you field your strongest 11.How have I ignored what you said

About the Essex Glamorgan game....you just repeated what I said, it took a very good last wicket for Essex to even get close and they still lost pretty comfortably 

Edited by Tommy Fresh

1 minute ago, Tommy Fresh said:

About the Essex Glamorgan game....

What have I ignored? I watched the game on the stream  Essex put on 68 in 6 overs Glamorgan players were spread on the boundary and along with the Glamorgan commentator were seriously  panicking  Essex needed 32 off the last 20 balls yep I call that on the ropes 

6 minutes ago, Graceroad said:

What have I ignored? I watched the game on the stream  Essex put on 68 in 6 overs Glamorgan players were spread on the boundary and along with the Glamorgan commentator were seriously  panicking  Essex needed 32 off the last 20 balls yep I call that on the ropes 

You just repeated that the last wicket was what made it as close as it was, so you made a point I'd already made. 32 from 20 balls is still a long way off for a last wicket stand that's already put on a fair few.

7 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

You just repeated that the last wicket was what made it as close as it was, so you made a point I'd already made. 32 from 20 balls is still a long way off for a last wicket stand that's already put on a fair few.

Yes but the way the game was going they had a decent chance like I say I watched it on the stream  it was a surprise that they got that last wicket didn't look likely

I am very glad we are taking this seriously. If we weren't I would be questioning why we would bother taking part and would be playing into the hands of the ECB.

These are not friendlies, there is a trophy to be won.

• Like 1

Interesting discussion with the Durham CEO, Tim Bostock on Simon Hughes'  podcast. He has high hopes of the income that the hotel they are building will bring and that they'll get an expansion team for The Hundred franchise. They are also being courted by Saudi Arabian money for a take-over, which he seemed ok with. What was relevant to Leicestershire, was that he believed there may not be 18 first class teams in 5 years and that he would be pushing to improve the quality and standard of the first class game, to attract overseas players. If this meant less first class counties, then so be it. The other point he made was that given the dire financial straits of so many counties, the sale of the Hundred franchises are the only thing that will keep them afloat. I do think the next 3 or 4 years are crucial to Leicestershire, they need to invest in non-cricket activities to increase revenue. As Bostock says, domestic cricket itself, is basically a loss-making business.  I also think this means we have to take every competition seriously.

The issue I have is that the geographical split in the country means international cricket will only to to one ground per area (barring London). Leicester, Derby and Northampton aren't required with Birmingham and Nottingham available. Chelmsford and Canterbury won't get a higher status with Lord's and The Oval in use.

We have six teams in the Midlands and six in the South East (if you include Hampshire). Durham and Glamorgan, for me, aren't much bigger clubs than us but fit the ECB's remit of spreading the international and franchise game. We do need more members but ultimately if they cut numbers it will be non international clubs that go, regardless of membership figures.

Love it when the less clubs means better quality comments make an appearance, usually when the national side are doing shite though. West Indies domestic cricket has what 6 actual teams? Whilst the Indian first class game has twice as many team's competing in it as the county championship. South Africa have recently returned to an expanded first class competition instead of just six sides. 

The number of teams thing and the argument about quality is a smokescreen for the reality where the ECB just want city based franchises (ideally which they control or at least get a cut of the profit when flogging).

The ECB hate that they don't control the counties directly and think that the riches of something akin to the football Premier League are only a restructure away.

Absolutely deluded and they're killing the unique and fantastic product that County Cricket is and could be. The T20 Blast should have been backed instead of the ludicrous Hundred. Just allow Counties to recruit 4 overseas for it instead of 2 and supply the funding for that and a big marketing push.

• Like 4