Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sods

Leicestershire County Cricket Club

4 minutes ago, Beagle said:

This drives me mad! There is nothing about either of the One Day Cup semi finals on the BbC website Cricket home page. It’s all about the Hundred, Hundred, Hundred. You have to search via the Counties page to find reference to today’s game. And in the middle of the text they refer to the “downgrading”  of the tournament since 2019. I thought the BBC were supposed to be impartial!?? Do you think that their obsession with the Hundred have anything to do with their sponsorship of it? 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/articles/c98592p3gl7o

I guess the beeb are protecting their investment by promoting the shite. Yet it can't be worth it for them. Whatever they've paid (or been paid!) it isn't enough. Can you imagine them sidelining Wimbledon and force feeding us Padel instead? That's the rough equivalent 

If it wasn't for the BBC, the hundred would be dead on its arse already.

If only the ECB had had the balls years ago to insist on free to air coverage for normal cricket. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, katieakita said:

Got very close and very fine margins losing Rehane and Kimber for a handful of reasons left us too  much of a mountain ECB did us no favours, did any of our players drafted for the 100 get more than a couple of games, Rehan has hardly bowled a ball for weeks and strong finish in the championship and it would have been a good season. 

Not sure you can blame the ECB Somerset were missing around 12 players to the Hundred yesterday. Of  the 10 matches we played 6 of the sides didn't play an OS player the other 4 played 1 none of them anywhere near the calibre  of our 2..we had 6 over 30s in the side yesterday not sure Somerset had any apart from Leech. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Graceroad said:

Not sure you can blame the ECB Somerset were missing around 12 players to the Hundred yesterday. Of  the 10 matches we played 6 of the sides didn't play an OS player the other 4 played 1 none of them anywhere near the calibre  of our 2..we had 6 over 30s in the side yesterday not sure Somerset had any apart from Leech. 

5 played overseas

11 hours ago, Beagle said:

I don’t like what I am reading here. 
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/articles/c5y8qwyk8dwo

The section about overseas players being enticed to play because new ownership means more money to burn. There's just no sustainability in that. It's chasing money after chasing money to a level that the revenue available in the UK can not meet the demand. 

The claims that there was an average c15k attendance to games is interesting! 540k over 35 games... 

1 hour ago, CosbehFox said:

The claims that there was an average c15k attendance to games is interesting! 540k over 35 games... 

The bit in the article that says: "The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) announced that 540,000 tickets were sold for this year’s tournament, taking the total beyond two million over the first four years."

By "sold" I assume they mean a combination of "given away or sold at ridiculously low prices, that it's effectively a bribe" ?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

The bit in the article that says: "The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) announced that 540,000 tickets were sold for this year’s tournament, taking the total beyond two million over the first four years."

By "sold" I assume they mean a combination of "given away or sold at ridiculously low prices, that it's effectively a bribe" ?

Prices can be very low. I paid more for an ice cream than one of my kids tickets at Lords! But that's the point.  

ECB is auctioning off the future here. They'll get a short term influx of money to the games that will be redistributed, but once that is all used up by the counties 5 years down the line to cover losses, what then? You have a game with county fixtures marginalised in the schedule around the Hundred and international fixtures, which will lead to even less income. Therefore you'll get around 12 counties that can sustain themselves, while the other 6 have to go semi-pro.

I'm all for cheaper tickets but it doesn't bring in significant revenues and you have no idea if the audience is committed. To make it profitable you can't flog tickets forever.

Also, do the tickets come as a package for both the Men's and Women's or can you buy separately?

1 hour ago, Corky said:

no idea if the audience is committed.

I'd be interested if participation levels pick up too as a result.of the hundred. That's they key. 

I drive past the Oadby Wyggs ground occasionally and there is pitch after pitch of mini rugby being played. Rugby being, in my opinion, the nearest 'rival' participation sport.  I'd say these last 25 years (since the ECB decided to destroy the game after the ashes with its no free to air deals) Rugby has motored past cricket in terms of both crowds and participation

Two years after leaving the county, spinner Nathan Bowley is back playing in our 2nd XI clash with Glamorgan. Rishi Patel opened the innings and made a brisk 45 from 54 balls. No sign of Rehan, nor Mike (presumably still injured).

2 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

I'd be interested if participation levels pick up too as a result.of the hundred. That's they key. 

I drive past the Oadby Wyggs ground occasionally and there is pitch after pitch of mini rugby being played. Rugby being, in my opinion, the nearest 'rival' participation sport.  I'd say these last 25 years (since the ECB decided to destroy the game after the ashes with its no free to air deals) Rugby has motored past cricket in terms of both crowds and participation

Bloke I work with (board member at a club in Solihull) says no but another I occasionally work with does similar in Shropshire says there is visible pick-up in girls, female and mixed games. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, when_you're_smiling said:

Near enough a ‘use it or lose it’ plea.

That’s ominous. Membership ain’t gonna make much difference if losses are £500k though. Just have a season without overseas players, the fans will understand. 

12 minutes ago, Lionator said:

That’s ominous. Membership ain’t gonna make much difference if losses are £500k though. Just have a season without overseas players, the fans will understand. 

He's preaching to the converted there. 

As a member of the club,  that comes.with obligations. Ask (demand!) the current membership to find one new member each (or consider buying a second membership if you can't find a second member) . At a stroke the membership is doubled. 

The club need to convert the armchair punters,.like me. Years ago I think it was Nico who said although our crowds were small, there were thousands.who follow us on Teletext. It's very true. 

Fwiw, I will sign up for 2025. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

He's preaching to the converted there. 

As a member of the club,  that comes.with obligations. Ask (demand!) the current membership to find one new member each (or consider buying a second membership if you can't find a second member) . At a stroke the membership is doubled. 

The club need to convert the armchair punters,.like me. Years ago I think it was Nico who said although our crowds were small, there were thousands.who follow us on Teletext. It's very true. 

Fwiw, I will sign up for 2025. 

I would but I live in the north-west. A lot of people move away sadly. 

5 hours ago, Corky said:

I'm all for cheaper tickets but it doesn't bring in significant revenues and you have no idea if the audience is committed. To make it profitable you can't flog tickets forever.

Also, do the tickets come as a package for both the Men's and Women's or can you buy separately?

You get to see both games with one ticket.