Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sods

Leicestershire County Cricket Club

1 hour ago, when_you're_smiling said:

Near enough a ‘use it or lose it’ plea.

Fair enough I'd say. Tigers and City get good support but County have never received the same amount of support from the people. 

If you want a county side then let's get down there. Won't happen otherwise. 

It's a big City 

No excuses really

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Cakey said:

Fair enough I'd say. Tigers and City get good support but County have never received the same amount of support from the people. 

It's a big City 

No excuses really

Don't entirely  agree Cakey yes membership numbers are low but they always have been its the same with most Counties  Northants have similar  numbers yet have posted a profit  of over £86k. Seems to me this is a case of Jarvis trying to shift the blame .Great player though he is Rahane will not be worth the money they are paying him same with Neesham and don't get me started on the Stirling 2 game deal. Yes it was nice to have a good run in the one day cup but think how much money we would have saved by coping the policy of most sides and not playing an OS or 1 at most. The pay per view for the Hampshire game got 195 subscriptions  hardly a rip roaring success.

26 minutes ago, Graceroad said:

Don't entirely  agree Cakey yes membership numbers are low but they always have been its the same with most Counties  Northants have similar  numbers yet have posted a profit  of over £86k. Seems to me this is a case of Jarvis trying to shift the blame .Great player though he is Rahane will not be worth the money they are paying him same with Neesham and don't get me started on the Stirling 2 game deal. Yes it was nice to have a good run in the one day cup but think how much money we would have saved by coping the policy of most sides and not playing an OS or 1 at most. The pay per view for the Hampshire game got 195 subscriptions  hardly a rip roaring success.

There's enough players out there that we don't need to be going after overseas like Rahane etc. Players like Nathan Smith who's been at Worcestershire surely cost a lot less then Mulder etc.

1 hour ago, Tommy Fresh said:

There's enough players out there that we don't need to be going after overseas like Rahane etc. Players like Nathan Smith who's been at Worcestershire surely cost a lot less then Mulder etc.

Seems to me the club are dammed if they do dammed if they don't.We had years of being uncompetitive  watching the likes of George Rhodes Gavin Griffiths Alex Wyatt etc nobody enjoyed those times. We now have a decent side they can compete which is great one big problem though to keep the likes of Rishi Patel who I know had offers from Warwickshire and Essex you have to pay them way more then we can afford unless you can find a benefactor  with money to burn.We are lucky that Rehan is on a central contract atm he also signed a  contact way higher then we can afford. Also been told been problems with Rehan and the club this season the trip to mecca one game into the season and the pressure Rehan put on the club to bat at number 3 in the T20 are 2 of the issues 

3 hours ago, Cakey said:

It's a big City 

No excuses really

especially considering the racial makeup of the city...county cricket should be massive

We used to get big crowds in the 70's when Illy was captain. 40 over Sunday league games used to be sold out, me & my mates used to go to loads of the away games too, We also got big crowds for midweek Gillette Cup & B&H matches.

The thing was then that you knew the structure of the season - Sundays was 40 overs, starting at 2pm. B&H cup group stage, played early season. Gillette Cup played on Wednesdays at perhaps 2 weekly intervals. The rrest of the time would be 16 or so CC games

Nowadays the calender is all over the place which doesn't help, but there is no doubt that not having cricket on free to air tv has had a massive impact

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Angus Scott said:

We used to get big crowds in the 70's when Illy was captain. 40 over Sunday league games used to be sold out, me & my mates used to go to loads of the away games too, We also got big crowds for midweek Gillette Cup & B&H matches.

The thing was then that you knew the structure of the season - Sundays was 40 overs, starting at 2pm. B&H cup group stage, played early season. Gillette Cup played on Wednesdays at perhaps 2 weekly intervals. The rrest of the time would be 16 or so CC games

Nowadays the calender is all over the place which doesn't help, but there is no doubt that not having cricket on free to air tv has had a massive impact

All very true, especially IMHO not having any county cricket on terrestrial TV.

In the 1970's you had a Sunday League match on BBC2 every week.    It was great viewing.   You could hear the crowd and it made you want to be there.    But it wasn't just the action.   You got regular updates on all the County's scores on the Sunday, and also County Championship games on the Saturday Grandstand program.   Cricket was in the public's consciousness.   That's the key, you were fully aware of it going on in every County, like we are with football today.

Sadly, in the last 30 or so years they've mucked around with the formats so much, but it's also just slipped out of the public's general consciousness ... not helped, of course, by the media going utterly crazy over football 24x7, which just about shoves everything else into oblivion.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

All very true, especially IMHO not having any county cricket on terrestrial TV.

In the 1970's you had a Sunday League match on BBC2 every week.    It was great viewing.   You could hear the crowd and it made you want to be there.    But it wasn't just the action.   You got regular updates on all the County's scores on the Sunday, and also County Championship games on the Saturday Grandstand program.   Cricket was in the public's consciousness.   That's the key, you were fully aware of it going on in every County, like we are with football today.

Sadly, in the last 30 or so years they've mucked around with the formats so much, but it's also just slipped out of the public's general consciousness ... not helped, of course, by the media going utterly crazy over football 24x7, which just about shoves everything else into oblivion.

Which is also why this LCCC video paywall long term is a bad move.

8 hours ago, Angus Scott said:

Also circa 2003/2004 when t20 first started, every home game used to sell out. 

18 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Also circa 2003/2004 when t20 first started, every home game used to sell out. 

Agree crowds we're bigger then for T20 but it was a novelty back then . Not sure we used to sell out every game though

It is silly that Jarvis seems to be going on a mad one on Twitter about the Mercury not supporting the club (who even reads it these days?) while he put the games behind a paywall. One of those two things has a much bigger impact on supporters than the other. 

1 hour ago, Lionator said:

It is silly that Jarvis seems to be going on a mad one on Twitter about the Mercury not supporting the club (who even reads it these days?) while he put the games behind a paywall. One of those two things has a much bigger impact on supporters than the other. 

To be fair based on what the Mercury report you wouldn't even know there was a cricket team 

1 hour ago, Tommy Fresh said:

To be fair based on what the Mercury report you wouldn't even know there was a cricket team 

The blame  for the mess we are in lies sorely with Jarvis.Why give Wright a 2 year contract when you knew he would be suspended  for half a season why give Patel a 3 year contract on Div 1 wages yes he's a great player and of course we didn't want to lose him but don't go out and pay players money we can't afford why go out and sign 2 OS players for the one day cup again money we could have saved.Also it's just bizarre that nobody told Jarvis that signing Rahane would not attract  Indian fans to Grace Road they didn't even turn up when we signed Schwag  at the height of his powers.

17 hours ago, Graceroad said:

I'm not for one moment suggesting it's the only issue it certainly isn't brushing over the issues that haven't been resolved by Jarvis etc. Completely agree with much of what you say. 

My point really is that Northampton, Canterbury, Worcester, Durham, Taunton etc are tiny places relative to Leicester just in the City has nearly 600,000 people let alone the out lining areas.  

I know other counties don't really have as much competition as Leicester with Football Rugby etc but if anything it should be easier to piggy back of those sports. I see very little advertising at City. 

The City itself and the surrounding areas is a huge catchment so if they want cricket get down there. 

The business cock ups and lack of attracting a big sponsorships etc are another subject. 

But I think we are in agreement in the whole

1 hour ago, Graceroad said:

The blame  for the mess we are in lies sorely with Jarvis.Why give Wright a 2 year contract when you knew he would be suspended  for half a season why give Patel a 3 year contract on Div 1 wages yes he's a great player and of course we didn't want to lose him but don't go out and pay players money we can't afford why go out and sign 2 OS players for the one day cup again money we could have saved.Also it's just bizarre that nobody told Jarvis that signing Rahane would not attract  Indian fans to Grace Road they didn't even turn up when we signed Schwag  at the height of his powers.

Didn't say he'd been great just that the Mercury's reporting on County is terrible

• Like 1

Also signing Green on loan when they send that email is taking the piss really. 

We have four players on full time contracts who never play, two of them haven't played all year. 

Why do we need another bowler we have Holland Green, Hull, Wright, Walker, Salisbury, Scriven, Curry, other Green, Ahmed, Trevaskis and when fit Mike. 

45 minutes ago, Cakey said:

Also signing Green on loan when they send that email is taking the piss really. 

We have four players on full time contracts who never play, two of them haven't played all year. 

Why do we need another bowler we have Holland Green, Hull, Wright, Walker, Salisbury, Scriven, Curry, other Green, Ahmed, Trevaskis and when fit Mike. 

Realistically, how many of those seamers are fully fit and/or available? 

And realistically, how much are we forking out towards a loan? I’d imagine it’s quite a minimal amount anyway as it’s beneficial to both the player and Somerset at this moment in time.

• Like 1