Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigGibbo

How Was Your Day?

Looks like I'm gonna have to quit my job to get the proper amount of JSA. Got a letter saying I'd only be getting £20 a week instead of the £56.80. ****ing arseholes.

If you are earning less than a 'living wage' they will only make it up to that amount. Have you been looking for another job as a backup for if your hours go down?

If you are earning less than a 'living wage' they will only make it up to that amount. Have you been looking for another job as a backup for if your hours go down?

They've deducted £35 per week from me despite me being on a zero hour contract, so I'll only be getting £20 plus whatever I earn at work which will be like £30 a week. There is no way I can live off £50 a week what with having to give my parents money and pay for travel to work.

Sounds good, I love spicy food. Did you make it from scratch?

Yeah. It turns out, its extremely simple.

First time I've done it. I usually make an apple sauce to go with it, but I only had one apple so had to improvise. There is an apple in there.

Essentially its cider vinegar, water, (too much) cayenne pepper, brown sugar, salt, smoked paprika, black pepper and a little honey. (thats the recipe)

I've added, brown onion, spring onion, apple and grated carrot (all just needed using). Its reducing down now on the hob.

Yeah. It turns out, its extremely simple.

First time I've done it. I usually make an apple sauce to go with it, but I only had one apple so had to improvise. There is an apple in there.

Essentially its cider vinegar, water, (too much) cayenne pepper, brown sugar, salt, smoked paprika, black pepper and a little honey. (thats the recipe)

I've added, brown onion, spring onion, apple and grated carrot (all just needed using). Its reducing down now on the hob.

Nice one, I do something similar with the vinegar and brown sugar but use fresh thyme, cumin, smoked paprika, chilli flakes salt & pepper and make the sauce first and cover the meat with it. Then once is has cooked for hours I drain and reduce the sauce, shred the pork and add it back to the sauce.

Nice one, I do something similar with the vinegar and brown sugar but use fresh thyme, cumin, smoked paprika, chilli flakes salt & pepper and make the sauce first and cover the meat with it. Then once is has cooked for hours I drain and reduce the sauce, shred the pork and add it back to the sauce.

Yeah, approach wise that's what I'd like to do, but I was going to do apple sauce and only just realised I hadn't bought apples (I'm an idiot).

I'm not even going to be able to rest the pork for more than about 30 mins since we're eating it tonight. Poor form really.

I may go back and add some cumin actually. I'm hoping the sauce freezes well as its lovely, but my wife won't like it...

You should try making pulled pork mate, its obscenely easy, but incredibly tasty and a real 'crowd pleaser'.

I'm always up early so can get it in the oven early at 200 for half hour (this was a 3 kilo shoulder joint - go for bone in) - and then x hours (I did about 13 hours) at 100 degrees.

There is a lot of debate about what rub to use and how to cook it - I favour paprika, black pepper, salt and demerara sugar which I make in to a rub by pre-mixing it with balsamic vinegar. You can find your own way though.

It was lovely by the way, but the sauce was seriously hot. I way overdid the cayenne pepper. I enjoyed it, but it was just about at the edge of what I could enjoy.

• Like 1

You should try making pulled pork mate, its obscenely easy, but incredibly tasty and a real 'crowd pleaser'.

I'm always up early so can get it in the oven early at 200 for half hour (this was a 3 kilo shoulder joint - go for bone in) - and then x hours (I did about 13 hours) at 100 degrees.

There is a lot of debate about what rub to use and how to cook it - I favour paprika, black pepper, salt and demerara sugar which I make in to a rub by pre-mixing it with balsamic vinegar. You can find your own way though.

It was lovely by the way, but the sauce was seriously hot. I way overdid the cayenne pepper. I enjoyed it, but it was just about at the edge of what I could enjoy.

I might try cooking it next Sunday, I'll have plenty of time preparing and cooking it. What do you have it with if you don't mind me asking?

I might try cooking it next Sunday, I'll have plenty of time preparing and cooking it. What do you have it with if you don't mind me asking?

Generally we just have it in rolls, but tonight we had it in tiger bread.

It's a popular thing over in the states apparently to either have coleslaw with it or homemade barbecue type sauce.

We tend to have it in rolls with homemade (roasted) apple sauce, sometimes with some sweet potato wedges or parsnip chips, something like that. I love root vegetables though... 

Edited by The People's Hero

Generally we just have it in rolls, but tonight we had it in tiger bread.

It's a popular thing over in the states apparently to either have coleslaw with it or homemade barbecue type sauce.

We tend to have it in rolls with homemade (roasted) apple sauce, sometimes with some sweet potato wedges or parsnip chips, something like that. I love root vegetables though...

Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try next Sunday and let you know how I get on.

Don't worry too much about the quality of your meat. I buy tesco value pork shoulder (bone in). Its dirt cheap. I think I paid £8 for a 2.85 kilo joint.

The cheapest cuts don't tend to differ on quality whether you buy Tesco value or from a butchers. If you are cooking something like pork shoulder or brisket for 5 + hours it's gonna be good!