Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigGibbo

How Was Your Day?

Spent time with my Dad today for the first time in 13 years (I would say I saw him for the first time, but have seen him at funerals, just not actually gave him the time of day). Not sure what to make of it, it's not gonna be easy after so long, and I've changed so much going from 18-31. Basically just attempting to build bridges so it doesn't drive a wedge between me and my sister as she becoming more and more annoyed at me for not seeing him, but I had my reasons for not seeing him and they've not changed, and I'm used to not having him in my life. Gonna be tough, but I guess I've got to persist if I don't want to piss my sister off.

Sounds like the first step has been taken. 

Does your sister want the full father/son relationship to be rekindled, or just to get back on talking terms?

Oh, and you're 31?! thought you were closer to my age (23) than that!

I think she's happy I've made an effort, I'm not totally sure what's she expecting to come of it. He's 70 next month and from what he said she won't be in Leicester for it, and I'm not really up for doing a whole father/son celebration thing. So that could be awkward.

lol I probably still look 23! And probably tell the same terrible jokes I did back then! That happens a lot on here, people thinking posters are nowhere near the age they are. It's weird the perception we give other of ourselves over the net.

Spent time with my Dad today for the first time in 13 years (I would say I saw him for the first time, but have seen him at funerals, just not actually gave him the time of day). Not sure what to make of it, it's not gonna be easy after so long, and I've changed so much going from 18-31. Basically just attempting to build bridges so it doesn't drive a wedge between me and my sister as she becoming more and more annoyed at me for not seeing him, but I had my reasons for not seeing him and they've not changed, and I'm used to not having him in my life. Gonna be tough, but I guess I've got to persist if I don't want to piss my sister off.

Life's too short mate

I think she's happy I've made an effort, I'm not totally sure what's she expecting to come of it. He's 70 next month and from what he said she won't be in Leicester for it, and I'm not really up for doing a whole father/son celebration thing. So that could be awkward.

lol I probably still look 23! And probably tell the same terrible jokes I did back then! That happens a lot on here, people thinking posters are nowhere near the age they are. It's weird the perception we give other of ourselves over the net.

Can't imagine not seeing close family for so long, never really understood why families are estranged, I just think it's not worth it.  Obviously I don't know what your reasons are but for me I would definately build those bridges mate.  All the best.

Can't imagine not seeing close family for so long, never really understood why families are estranged, I just think it's not worth it. Obviously I don't know what your reasons are but for me I would definately build those bridges mate. All the best.

You can't imagine it presumably because you haven't been in a situation where it is in your best interests not to maintain a damaging relationship with a family member. Societal pressure must cause lots of people the pain and suffering if trying to maintain something which is best left in the past. Family have no more right to your time than anyone else - they have to earn it.
  • Like 2

You can't imagine it presumably because you haven't been in a situation where it is in your best interests not to maintain a damaging relationship with a family member. Societal pressure must cause lots of people the pain and suffering if trying to maintain something which is best left in the past. Family have no more right to your time than anyone else - they have to earn it.

I agree, I don't mean it from a personnel perspective but more in a general sense.  I certainly didn't mean to assign blame to anyone, hope it didn't come across that way.

I guess people make mistakes, I just hope that no matter what happend people can get back together with their families.  That's what i really meant.

Edited by purpleronnie

So while half my facebook is filled with "oh we're engaged", my fiancée decides despite me taking her for a meal, sending her presents at work and making sure I'm home early from work. I am somehow being grumpy and now in the doghouse with the cold shoulder and no attention what so ever.

Can someone explain this?

Can't imagine not seeing close family for so long, never really understood why families are estranged, I just think it's not worth it.  Obviously I don't know what your reasons are but for me I would definately build those bridges mate.  All the best.

Obviously I'm going to say my reason were valid, it was my choice so of course I agree with them. I mean don't worry it wasn't sexual abuse or anything but I did change my name to my mums because I felt that strongly against him.

But I know what you mean about some estrangements. My uncle on my mums side didn't see any of us for over 20 years because my Grandpa gave my mum and dad his car when theirs died and they had me and my sister to look after and he had no family. He somehow felt it was his car. That's no reason to cut ties.

So while half my facebook is filled with "oh we're engaged", my fiancée decides despite me taking her for a meal, sending her presents at work and making sure I'm home early from work. I am somehow being grumpy and now in the doghouse with the cold shoulder and no attention what so ever.

One word two syllables 'women".

• Like 1

She's a woman, that's the only explanation you need lol

Little_finger.jpg

:ph34r:

Obviously I'm going to say my reason were valid, it was my choice so of course I agree with them. I mean don't worry it wasn't sexual abuse or anything but I did change my name to my mums because I felt that strongly against him.

But I know what you mean about some estrangements. My uncle on my mums side didn't see any of us for over 20 years because my Grandpa gave my mum and dad his car when theirs died and they had me and my sister to look after and he had no family. He somehow felt it was his car. That's no reason to cut ties.

I have a similar situation but my mum wont let me change my last name to her maiden name the fvcker lol

I have a similar situation but my mum wont let me change my last name to her maiden name the fvcker lol

If your Mum's maiden name was "the fvcker", then she's probably only thinking of you in not letting you use it.

Would have a certain kudos, though.... "Allow me to introduce myself. I'm Samilktray The Fvcker"... 

Edited by Alf Bentley

Guest Col city fan

You made it then.... I'd struggle with half that number these days.

lol

No mate... I boughed out at 12 pints... literally couldn't take anymore. I wasn't too pissed.. just bloated and nauseous!

My son (18) was on his first ever 32.. and completed it! Bit of a legend today he is..

Didn't get the sack tonight! I put a bit more effort into my job, still found time to chat with the bar staff though which is something else they keep pulling me up on.

You are ruthless mate

The last one that happened, one of the female members of staff (who I've not seen since) goes to me "In your break are you gonna have sex?" Which was generally quite awkward.

Is that supposed to be 'we' instead of 'you', or did you not finish that sentence off?

She sounds a bit forward.