Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigGibbo

How Was Your Day?

if anyone out there would be so kind as to sign this that'd be lovely. back your local bookie so the government don't put in so many measures we end up having to close loads of our shops down. think of all the fun you have in your bookies and all the jobs (my job!!) they supply. if you don't want to then fair play, i get people out there are against gambling and it can be dangerous to some people but there's loads on here who like a cheeky fiver of a weekend and it does no harm to them, for some it adds to the enjoyment of the sport. 

http://backyourlocalbookie.co.uk/campaign/petition/

What are the government trying to do to the bookies that they are so against?

I have the occasional bet, so I'm not against betting........despite being several hundred pounds down over the years.

There seems to be a lot of bad press regarding those roulette machines & the proliferation of betting shops in areas of poverty.........as opposed to the National Lottery which is a tax on the poor.

I would rather take my chances at the bookies..........at least I've got a chance of winning!!

What are the government trying to do to the bookies that they are so against?

I have the occasional bet, so I'm not against betting........despite being several hundred pounds down over the years.

There seems to be a lot of bad press regarding those roulette machines & the proliferation of betting shops in areas of poverty.........as opposed to the National Lottery which is a tax on the poor.

I would rather take my chances at the bookies..........at least I've got a chance of winning!!

I'm not sure on the ins and outs because it was only mentioned to me when I was finishing work the other day so haven't spoken about it to anyone really.

But ye, at a guess id say it's the machines. You can lose thousands of pounds a minute on them and some people do, but you have to be pretty daft to put that much into one. I wouldn't care if they got rid of them completely, it'd make my job easier and more enjoyable and I've never used one in my life because I don't see the point.

If I've got a bit of spare change and fancy a gamble, like yourself, I'd rather throw two quid on a footy bet or on a horse that I've read up about and can make an informed choice on whether it's got a chance of winning (it never does anyway but still!!) rather than seeing if my luck is in or not on a roulette machine.

I'm not sure on the ins and outs because it was only mentioned to me when I was finishing work the other day so haven't spoken about it to anyone really.

But ye, at a guess id say it's the machines. You can lose thousands of pounds a minute on them and some people do, but you have to be pretty daft to put that much into one. I wouldn't care if they got rid of them completely, it'd make my job easier and more enjoyable and I've never used one in my life because I don't see the point.

If I've got a bit of spare change and fancy a gamble, like yourself, I'd rather throw two quid on a footy bet or on a horse that I've read up about and can make an informed choice on whether it's got a chance of winning (it never does anyway but still!!) rather than seeing if my luck is in or not on a roulette machine.

Cheers.

After a disastrous Cheltenham Festival, my gambling has dropped off somewhat.  I suppose it's about knowing what you can afford to lose.  I set myself a budget & I stick to it.  No point chasing your losses & losing everything.

I've never understood those roulette machines.  No different to a fruit machine, as far as I can tell.......instead of losing a few quid - you lose your house.

At least with the horses, dogs & footy, there's an element of skill involved & it gives you an interest in something you wouldn't be otherwise.

Out of interest, as you work in a bookies.  Do you ever refuse bets from someone who is clearly up shit street & getting into trouble financially?

If you can lose thousands on those roulette machines.  Have you ever seen anyone win thousands?

Cheers.

After a disastrous Cheltenham Festival, my gambling has dropped off somewhat.  I suppose it's about knowing what you can afford to lose.  I set myself a budget & I stick to it.  No point chasing your losses & losing everything.

I've never understood those roulette machines.  No different to a fruit machine, as far as I can tell.......instead of losing a few quid - you lose your house.

At least with the horses, dogs & footy, there's an element of skill involved & it gives you an interest in something you wouldn't be otherwise.

Out of interest, as you work in a bookies.  Do you ever refuse bets from someone who is clearly up shit street & getting into trouble financially?

If you can lose thousands on those roulette machines.  Have you ever seen anyone win thousands?

exactly, i bet probably most days tbf but unless i've had a win recently or have a really strong feeling about something it's rarely more than a fiver per trip to the bookies on a treble or a lucky 15 that returns about 2 quid even if it goes wrong. 

yep. over a year they are obviously profitable to the company but there are days and even weeks throughout the year where we take a hit on the machines. the most i've ever paid out on one ticket is about 1.5k. believe it or not there are some people who are "good" at playing machines and as soon as you see them walk through the door you know to set the timer on your safe because they're going to end up printing a ticket worth at least a few hundred quid. most of that is because they put a few hundred into it though. the machines are random, so if you cover enough of a roulette board and keep hitting re-bet then using trial and error you will eventually hit your numbers and get a winner, it just depends how much you can afford to put in before you run out of money. people throw a twenty in, spin a few times and lose then leave. others throw 100 in, spin it, lose. throw 100 more in, spin it, lose. throw 100 more in, spin it, lose. throw 100 more in, spin it, hit their numbers a few times and print off a ticket for 550 quid or something. it just depends how deep your pockets are to begin with and how much you are willing to risk for what %age profit. 

we don't have a "duty of care" as such, and we aren't meant to "refuse" a bet, but when we see someone getting distressed on a machine, maybe starting to hit it, lost a few hundred quid, swearing etc. we go and have a discrete word, maybe offer them a coffee and chat to them about options of where to go so they don't become addicted to it. we're all trained to deal with difficult situations like that and know the signs of someone in distress who's chasing their losses and what have you. however if the chap you're talking to listens to what you're offering him and simply says "yeah i get that mate but no offence it's got fúck all to do with you it's my money fúcking do one" then there's not a lot we can do, we make a note of the attempted interaction and they carry on. 

same as with drunk people. a lot of our punters come over from the pub before a footy match or big race so will be well aled but they still know what they're doing and we still take a bet off them. if someone comes in and is staggering, can't write his own bet out/put his own notes in the machine slot because he's so wasted it'd set off alerts in my head. much like a pub and how they might say "you've had enough". if an unknown punter came in, staggered into the tables, managed to pick up a slip and scribble something like "1000 pndz livpooool win prem leege" then hand me his credit card then i'd take him aside and explain why i probably wasn't going to take the bet and quietly/discreetly ask him to leave and come back in the morning if he is serious about the bet kinda thing. 

it's a bloody interesting job tbh and a lot more than just taking bet slips and paying out money. 

• Like 1

Just at my gf's friends daughters 1st birthday party. Sat round eating little nibbles and general chit chat until all the lads shoot off and now I'm stuck with 5 women all talking girl banter.

Shoot. Me. Now. :banghead::thumbdown:

Edited by buzzer_b

I was having a nice day until I found on facebook this afternoon that one of my best mates from college as sadly lost his battle against cancer. I'm absolutely in shock and the lad was only 17! Must be horrible for his family!

Edited by Leicesterpool

It was having a nice day until I found on facebook this afternoon that one of my best mates from college as sadly lost his battle against cancer. I'm absolutely in shock and the lad was only 17! Must be horrible for his family!

Sorry to hear mate. Thoughts with his friends and family.

It was having a nice day until I found on facebook this afternoon that one of my best mates from college as sadly lost his battle against cancer. I'm absolutely in shock and the lad was only 17! Must be horrible for his family!

That's terrible news.

Terrible news Leicesterpool. It makes my intention of posting on here complaining about my hangover rather pathetic.

But its bad. Supposed to be out for a curry tonight with this bird but I'm unsure right now I feel that bad

Feel bad in terms of the hangover? If so just have a few beers.

I was having a nice day until I found on facebook this afternoon that one of my best mates from college as sadly lost his battle against cancer. I'm absolutely in shock and the lad was only 17! Must be horrible for his family!

Bad news.

One of my closest friends died of cancer. A week after his 18th birthday as well. 

Actually, three lads I went to school with have already died.

Bad news.

One of my closest friends died of cancer. A week after his 18th birthday as well. 

Actually, three lads I went to school with have already died.

I'm sorry to hear that mate, my mate i hadn't seen him in some time because after he was diagnosed he moved back to Leamington, but even so we remained in contact over facebook. The sad part of it is last time I spoke to him about week or so ago he told me thinks were going well, he was talking about how was looking forward to returning to Bedworth where he lived and also returning to college in september! Just so sad  :(

Very sorry to hear that Leicesterpool. Cancer is a ****ing joke and can be so cruel, my brother lost a friend when she was like 14, I lost both grandmas, and my aunt to it  :(

I know it's even more crueler when it gets to someone so young! It brings it so close to home when someone younger than you dies.  :( My late uncle who died eight years also got diagnosed with cancer, but it wasn't the cancer that killed him, he was an alcoholic you see.

Edited by Leicesterpool