Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigGibbo

How Was Your Day?

I bloody well need it. I spose they've looked at my CV and seen something they like so I don't have to have knowledge of everything they want me to do.

Just be confident without being cocky and always start and end the interview on a positive. Personality is just as key as any qualification you might have.

Just be confident without being cocky and always start and end the interview on a positive. Personality is just as key as any qualification you might have.

Somehow I always manage to turn an interview into a sort of informal chat once the business end is done, no idea if that's a good thing or not though.

Somehow I always manage to turn an interview into a sort of informal chat once the business end is done, no idea if that's a good thing or not though.

Part of the job is communicating, so they want to test you on this during the interview. Stay calm, keep eye contact, smile and be confident with your replies. Always ask questions to show an interest and talk about your ability to adapt and be flexible. Give yourself the best opportunity that you can.

Good luck.

Don't get too informal though. This chat is still a part of the interview and a test. They want to find out how well you would do as part of the team.

Off to see family in a bit.

Just booked some train tickets for me and a mate to leeds, for both of us it cost a total of £67 return.  I thought it would be over £100.  Surprised how cheap it was.

From Leicester? Leicester -> Sheffield is usually about £24 for return. Very reasonable price for that journey. Down to about £16 with a railcard.

From Leicester? Leicester -> Sheffield is usually about £24 for return. Very reasonable price for that journey. Down to about £16 with a railcard.

From loughborough.

I rarely go on the train so I based my opinions on what I've read and that usually consists of how expensive it is.  Although if I hadn't been so flexible about departure times it could have cost me a lot more.

Guest MattP

From loughborough.

I rarely go on the train so I based my opinions on what I've read and that usually consists of how expensive it is.  Although if I hadn't been so flexible about departure times it could have cost me a lot more.

People who moan about the trains hardly ever use them or book in advance.

If you do so it's fantastically cheap, the first class lounge at Leicester station is lovely as well.

People who moan about the trains hardly ever use them or book in advance.

If you do so it's fantastically cheap, the first class lounge at Leicester station is lovely as well.

I have to say I was tempted by first class, but I decided to travel with the riff raff to see how the other half live. ;)

From loughborough.

I think peak ones tend to rocket. Never cost me more than that though. Not sure if it's cheap because it's the London line or something else.

I think peak ones tend to rocket. Never cost me more than that though. Not sure if it's cheap because it's the London line or something else.

Forgive my cynicism but don't most MP's work and travel to London by train?

Guest MattP

I may have to book train tickets for my trip to my sisters wedding soon. Booked this place for the Sat night.

http://www.lutwidgearms.co.uk/index.html

I'll be slumming it though with the riff-raff.First class travel is not for plebs.

Nice place that Ken, good reviews as well on TA.

First class is avaliable to all, they do a weekend upgrade for only a tenner.

I may have to book train tickets for my trip to my sisters wedding soon. Booked this place for the Sat night.

http://www.lutwidgearms.co.uk/index.html

I'll be slumming it though with the riff-raff.First class travel is not for plebs.

the lake district is one of the most beautiful places on earth

I've been going back and forth to London on trains for about ten years now. Even booking in advance, trains are far more expensive than they should be and absolutely awfully run in this country.

I'm not really sure how anyone who's done as much travelling as you have, Matt, can defend our rail system with a straight face.

I'm not going to do a Ken and blame "the man!" or claim it's the worst in the world or that it's Thatcher's fault alone, etc. But don't tell me it's reasonably priced because it isn't.

• Like 1

Not sure what I'n doing yet. Stopping at my brothers in Cockermouth and the nearest station is Workington. Then I need to be at my sisters a few ays before to try on the suit etc. Could go up with my brother in Leicester but he and his missus have to get the time off work. My sister says the day before will be ladies only at her place.

I've been going back and forth to London on trains for about ten years now. Even booking in advance, trains are far more expensive than they should be and absolutely awfully run in this country.

I'm not really sure how anyone who's done as much travelling as you have, Matt, can defend our rail system with a straight face.

I'm not going to do a Ken and blame "the man!" or claim it's the worst in the world or that it's Thatcher's fault alone, etc. But don't tell me it's reasonably priced because it isn't.

I don't get them that often but probably close to 100. They're nearly always early, and I've never had one more than 10 mins late.

EDIT: Except Virgin who I have got 1 train with and they caused us to be over an hour late to a Springsteen show. **** virgin.

Edited by Haydos

I'm not claiming its the worst or blaming Thatcher. It is the failure over several years to keep up to date with improvements enough to make  it a lot cheaper. Like Matt says if you book early you can save money but unless you travel First Class you cannot guarantee of a good seat or not having to stand in an overcrowded coach for part of  your journey.

I must say I prefer the train to a coach even if it is a little more.

I checked on the price for National Express to Workington the other day. £85. The train is actually cheaper. I went to Seascale fby train for under £60 last November.

the liverpool - birmingham one is always good and usually cheap. sometimes on a sunday/bank holiday the price goes up a bit but the standard liverpool to new street fare is 5.95 with a railcard. can't complain about that, my bus to work and back costs 4.20. 

birmingham to leicester on a cross country train is a lot less fun though. a replacement bus here and there, cancelled trains, no trains at all, prices change from about 6 quid to 20+ whenever they feel like and it is all together a nightmare really. can't say i've missed that hour of the matchday routine since i stopped my st. 

the trains in this country and neither good or bad, it depends on the provider and the line. some trains fly and are clean, on time and reasonably priced. others take the piss, don't get you where you want when you want and cost more than they should. 

Guest MattP

Respectfully disagree, I think it provides excellent value if you make the effort.

Booking early is a must, if people can't be bothered to plan and have to turn up to pay the extortion charged on the platform then there is nothing you can do with them.

Just had a quick look on the trainline now, two weeks from today I've done at random - £21 Leicester to London 1st class. £18 for Standard. Personally think thats more than reasonable to get to the capital in an hour.

If something came up and I had to go tomorrow so no chance to book early - £35, again hardly a disaster.

Guest MattP

I'm not claiming its the worst or blaming Thatcher. It is the failure over several years to keep up to date with improvements enough to make  it a lot cheaper. Like Matt says if you book early you can save money but unless you travel First Class you cannot guarantee of a good seat or not having to stand in an overcrowded coach for part of  your journey.

I must say I prefer the train to a coach even if it is a little more.

I checked on the price for National Express to Workington the other day. £85. The train is actually cheaper. I went to Seascale fby train for under £60 last November.

You can book a seat in Standard as well for no extra cost, the only time you can't is if you have paid on the day at the desk.

Edited by MattP

I don't get them that often but probably close to 100. They're nearly always early, and I've never had one more than 10 mins late.

EDIT: Except Virgin who I have got 1 train with and they caused us to be over an hour late to a Springsteen show. **** virgin.

Surely they'd have to change their name afterwards though?

Respectfully disagree, I think it provides excellent value if you make the effort.

Booking early is a must, if people can't be bothered to plan and have to turn up to pay the extortion charged on the platform then there is nothing you can do with them.

Just had a quick look on the trainline now, two weeks from today I've done at random - £21 Leicester to London 1st class. £18 for Standard. Personally think thats more than reasonable to get to the capital in an hour.

If something came up and I had to go tomorrow so no chance to book early - £35, again hardly a disaster.

That's the best part of fourty quid, booking two weeks in advance, for a two hour round trip with about 60% probability your seat reservation will actually be yours on the day (depending on whether or not you get on a train with sufficient staff.)

That's good value and service to you?

I can remember when £18 got me both ways and that was without a railcard.