Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigGibbo

How Was Your Day?

That's the best part of fourty quid, booking two weeks in advance, for a two hour round trip with about 60% probability your seat reservation will actually be yours on the day (depending on whether or not you get on a train with sufficient staff.)

That's good value and service to you?

I can remember when £18 got me both ways and that was without a railcard.

:) It's started, when I was a lad!!! :P

Guest MattP

That's the best part of fourty quid, booking two weeks in advance, for a two hour round trip with about 60% probability your seat reservation will actually be yours on the day (depending on whether or not you get on a train with sufficient staff.)

That's good value and service to you?

I can remember when £18 got me both ways and that was without a railcard.

I'm older than you and I can't remember getting to London and back for £18!

Maybe it's a personal thing, I always found the service on trains to be pretty good, might have to be proactive in going to look for them if in standard at times but I can usually always get what I want providing I put a bit of effort in.

I'm not really sure what you mean by putting the effort in. If you have to "put effort in" to booking a train ticket then that in itself is appalling customer service.

Stop for a moment and think about what you're actually implying.

We should have much, much higher standards of customer service in this country.

Edited by Finnegan

Guest MattP

I'm not really sure what you mean by putting the effort in. If you have to "put effort in" to booking a train ticket then that in itself is appalling customer service.

Stop for a moment and think about what you're actually implying.

We should have much, much higher standards of customer service in this country.

I was on about when you are actually on the train. Being served by the trolley etc or making sure you remove a person yourself from your own booked seat.

You're right on the last point mind, customer service is useless in this country. If you are on a phone or going to a City just think yourself lucky if they can understand you these days.

I've long given up on that changing though, too many rules, regulations, training people to be robots rather than think for themselves. No way back now, good customer service will still exist in the countryside houses, fine hotels (had a wonderful shoe shine the other week) business class on flights, independent local ran shops etc but if you think you're going to get it on state run companies, trains, bus services, football clubs etc you probably should just prepare for the worst and be prepared to go out of your way yourself to get what you want.

Guest MattP

Lovely service for my Grandma today. Such a blessing to celebrate a wonderful life.

Glad to hear it all went well Balt, sorry for your loss.

After 10 days at home our Labrador puppy became so boisterous she stopped listening to many commands she had learned and started mouthing hands and chewing clothes more. Learned some great disciplining techniques - she hates timeouts and behaves much better after. Also the old bottle shaker makes her stop misbehaving immediately (I'm not using this willy-nilly or shaking too close to her. Only using if its ready to hand while she is misbehaving). Such a relief after we had a horrible day with her where she'd seemingly become a monster overnight

On the trains debate, I have booked my train tickets from Loughborough to St Pancras on the 31st for the Froch fight, booked them two weeks ago and return in first class has cost me £32, to me I think that is more than acceptable, I came out pretty pleased in fact. 

I do tend to agree with Matt on this topic, the sooner you book the better, obviously not everyone is in that position because of life events and them prices then can be scandalous.