Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigGibbo

How Was Your Day?

Totally get your point and I think it was just that Sunday feeling mixed with nerves. I feel a lot more optimistic now about it and have already contacted the local five a side place to get myself a team.

I'll be alright.

I had a similar situation when I was in Newcastle. Basically lived with international students who didn't speak and other people so different to me it was unbelievable. Ended up moving uni's i disliked it so much. I still made the most of it and found a football team to join after xmas and made a few mates I still keep in touch with now - just try and be as sociable as possible but I can understand why you're frustrated as I'm sure everyone else seems to have made mates easily - it's all about the luck of who you're put with at uni. Once I went to Sheffield I was lucky with my flatmates and love it.

In other news I went back to Newcastle to see Queen and Adam Lambert last night. Top class. Adam Lambert's voice is incredible and to see Brian May and Roger Taylor live was fantastic.

My sister and I  surprisingly managed to get to the station in time to get tickets and the last train back to Durham where she's at uni so I could stay over. Realised whilst on the train that it actually went back home to York, went and found the train conductor to see how much extra it would be to stay on til York - £31. I would have probably paid up to about £20 for the convenience but that's taking the piss for a 40 minute journey that I already had a ticket for today for £4! Trains in this country really do take the piss at times.

I had a similar situation when I was in Newcastle. Basically lived with international students who didn't speak and other people so different to me it was unbelievable. Ended up moving uni's i disliked it so much. I still made the most of it and found a football team to join after xmas and made a few mates I still keep in touch with now - just try and be as sociable as possible but I can understand why you're frustrated as I'm sure everyone else seems to have made mates easily - it's all about the luck of who you're put with at uni. Once I went to Sheffield I was lucky with my flatmates and love it.

In other news I went back to Newcastle to see Queen and Adam Lambert last night. Top class. Adam Lambert's voice is incredible and to see Brian May and Roger Taylor live was fantastic.

My sister and I  surprisingly managed to get to the station in time to get tickets and the last train back to Durham where she's at uni so I could stay over. Realised whilst on the train that it actually went back home to York, went and found the train conductor to see how much extra it would be to stay on til York - £31. I would have probably paid up to about £20 for the convenience but that's taking the piss for a 40 minute journey that I already had a ticket for today for £4! Trains in this country really do take the piss at times.

Uni is all about making the most out of the situation, then getting the **** out of there.

That being said, I do miss it sometimes.

That's what I'm putting it down to. It's got me thinking about the whole experience so far though, my halls suck and outside of my course I don't do a whole lot so it's getting me down thinking about it. I know everyone says join societies and whatnot but they charge so I'm not really up for that.

Think I'm going to join the gym, just for something to do more than anything else. Might look into playing football somewhere too.

The thought of laying around in that tiny matchbox room for another 5 months gives me the fear.

And Webbo, this'll be 2nd term, first year.

Societies might charge but it's the perfect opportunity to meet a group of people who enjoy the same things you do. Plus you'll get invites for the socials - you might not always be able to go but there might be some at weekends, or members would be happy to go for a beer, etc.

They're not all that expensive either. While I was doing my undergrad, I joined the pool society as I love pool. It cost £5 to join and I pretty much got to play free pool at the local Rileys for a few hours on Monday and Tuesday evenings, providing I bought a couple of drinks. I met a group of people that way and got dozens of games of pool for essentially a fiver, plus they had regular socials so there was always a group to go out with.

Gym's a good idea too, healthy body healthy mind and all that.

How much for a pint of milk in Africa?

No idea. I believe it is reasonably priced because the kids go through loads of it and we still have some money left to buy other stuff.

On Walking the Nile the guy meets a tribe who trade cows as currency. They eat and drink nothing but fresh cow milk. While it's still warm even. Therefore I imagine you don't buy milk in Africa but rather buy a cow. Maybe MC can confirm he owns a cow for this purpose.

I'd be more Maasai and drink a blood/milk combo. But unfortunately I don't have any cows. However, in Lesotho cows are important. It had led to an interesting phenomenon that in rural areas girls are more educated than boys. This is because boys have to leave school to be 'herd boys' and watch the cattle.

My uncle has lived in Zambia for 40 years. Often invites me over but have never fancied it. Where abouts will you be moving to?

Why never fancied it? If we move, it would be to Lusaka. It's a great city, lots to do.

Edited by DB11

Holding vigil at dads bed since 6am after he went downhill overnight. Just had to come out the way for a bit to get my thoughts together. Brought the letter up which mum read to him so my conscience is clear. Brothers on the train from london as we speak

Stay strong mate.

Holding vigil at dads bed since 6am after he went downhill overnight. Just had to come out the way for a bit to get my thoughts together. Brought the letter up which mum read to him so my conscience is clear. Brothers on the train from london as we speak

That hard on you mate. Hang in there.

Thanks. Brother made it at midday and dads improved slightly. Just arrived at LOROS. why they're not government funded I'll never know. Hes tired and weak made worse by the fact hes not eatongt or drinking yet. But mums coming home tonight anyway which says quite a lot. I know I will but I never want to experience this morning again

Edited by The Year Of The Fox

Today is a good day. My last payment on our wedding rings was made today. thats £130 extra a month in our pocket which at the moment will really come in handy. Now roll on April when my last car finance payment (on a car that doesnt exist, but thats another story) is made and i will be a further £220 a month richer. So after April i will be £350 a month richer. Can finally start doing some nice things and treating the wife and kids.

Today is a good day. My last payment on our wedding rings was made today. thats £130 extra a month in our pocket which at the moment will really come in handy. Now roll on April when my last car finance payment (on a car that doesnt exist, but thats another story) is made and i will be a further £220 a month richer. So after April i will be £350 a month richer. Can finally start doing some nice things and treating the wife and kids.

Excellent news.

Suffering from laryngitis at the minute and sounding like a Northern Irish Sean Dyche. On the plus side I'm saving the pound notes on what I would normally be spending on booze!

Hang in there TYOTF, thoughts are with you.