Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigGibbo

How Was Your Day?

Been signed off work for a week with stress, really hate my job at the minute, making me ill going :(

Sorry to hear that Tincy. Sounds like you need to get out ASAP. No job is worth getting ill over. Have you started looking elsewhere or is it abit more complicated than simply leaving for a new job?

Went for an interview yesterday in London, hopefully I get the job.

Good Luck

Cheers, the Length of contract is 2-3 years which is what I want and the Salary is fairly decent as well, moving to London and working there will be progression for me.

Fingers crossed it happens!

Fingers crossed for you.  :fc:

Cheers, the Length of contract is 2-3 years which is what I want and the Salary is fairly decent as well, moving to London and working there will be progression for me.

Fingers crossed it happens!

A 2-3 year contract would be a great start for you breaking into the London scene. Keep us informed.

Fingers crossed for you.   :fc:

Thanks man, I have a good feeling because they wrote an email to me saying someone recommended me to that job position and would you be interested in applying.

But you never know until It's certain, thankfully I will get told in a couple of days either way.

Is there anyone on this board living in London to show HappyFox around? I'm really not sure.

I've long since been put out to pasture in the provinces.

But, back in the 1980s, when I moved to London to seek fame and fortune, I found this to be a useful little guidebook for the younger gentleman seeking to explore and enjoy our fine capital city:

I'd have gone with Dirty Old Town, to be honest.

Written about Salford (where I spent part of the 90s), I believe....more Gloomy/Alienating Old Town, I thought. 

I'll have to go back there some time as they've injected lots of media industry money now, so it might be Glossy/Yuppie Old Town now...

You could have a pretty interesting (read miserable) road trip visiting towns that have been eviscerated in song.

Town Called Malice, Woking I believe? Ghost Town, Coventry?

You could be onto something there....

"I don't want to go to Chelsea", "Sound of the suburbs" (Staines), "Pulling mussels from a shell" (Margate?), "The leaving of Liverpool"....

Sorry to hear that Tincy. Sounds like you need to get out ASAP. No job is worth getting ill over. Have you started looking elsewhere or is it abit more complicated than simply leaving for a new job?

Good Luck

Yeah it's an awful feeling, i feel physically sick on the way to work every morning, and it gets no better when I am there, yes looking for another job as we speak!

Yeah it's an awful feeling, i feel physically sick on the way to work every morning, and it gets no better when I am there, yes looking for another job as we speak!

I had that feeling once. I worked for Next Directory in the home department in the call centre. At first it was a laugh cause every call was a complaint. But after a while it starts to grind at you and get you down. Get up, go to work, listen to people moan and bitch at you all day, drive home. I worked there for 9 months and put on 4 stone in weight. I went from a job that kept me on my feet to sitting down listening to people moan about petty things and eating crap, all for an extra £2 an hour to what i was on in my old job. After a while i started calling in sick when i wasnt ill. Then without notice just stopped turning up for work and not answering there calls. Its not a nice place to be in.

I feel for you. Do your best to find a new job and keep your chin up. I was delighted when i got my apprenticeship and got out of there. Never managed to lose the weight i put on though. I really should try and lose some weight. Look for local job fairs. Thats what i did. Best decision i ever made. Now im in a steady job earning decent money with opportunities to progress.

"I don't want to go to Chelsea", "Sound of the suburbs" (Staines), "Pulling mussels from a shell" (Margate?), "The leaving of Liverpool"....

Do you realize 'pulling mussels from a shell..' is a euphemism for sex?

Do you realize 'pulling mussels from a shell..' is a euphemism for sex?

Yes, my mate explained that to me when the song first came out. I hadn't consumed much seafood before 1980!  :D

Are you disqualifying that one as "non-slander", too? Admittedly, the experience of being in an English seaside resort was quite a positive one for the character behind the chalet with Maid Marian on her tiptoed feet (Chris Difford in real life, apparently), but Margate - if it was Margate - comes across as fairly seedy and banal, like most English seaside resorts. Then again, I rather like the seediness and banality of seaside resorts.......so, you're right, it's disqualified!

A loosely connected reminiscence: decades ago, I remember one of Squeeze telling how, when he and his girlfriend caught one of the trains into London on the Lewisham line, if it was one of the old-style trains with enclosed compartments, they'd have a shag between New Cross and London Bridge (about 10 mins max travel time, as I recall). I never got to try that out during my time in London, regrettably.

You could have a pretty interesting (read miserable) road trip visiting towns that have been eviscerated in song.

Town Called Malice, Woking I believe? Ghost Town, Coventry?

London is the only place to be. Best burgers, check. Best sandals, check. Coffee. Tesco metrosexual everywhere. The toob. Much higher class of experience, you become a better person just being there.

I now give you London Calling by The Clash