Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigGibbo

How Was Your Day?

I love Amsterdam.

Amsterdam by Jacques Brel / Bowie....how could I overlook that one?

'We Built This City'. It's about Rhyl, apparently.

"We built this city on rock and Rhyl"?!?

Next you'll be telling me that the Ultravox classic "Vienna" was going to be about Sofia until Ms. Loren threatened to sue Midge Ure...

• Like 1

Amsterdam by Jacques Brel / Bowie....how could I overlook that one?

"We built this city on rock and Rhyl"?!?

Next you'll be telling me that the Ultravox classic "Vienna" was going to be about Sofia until Ms. Loren threatened to sue Midge Ure...

Absolutely!

But also I went there this weekend, was nuts.

Yes, my mate explained that to me when the song first came out. I hadn't consumed much seafood before 1980! :D

Are you disqualifying that one as "non-slander", too? Admittedly, the experience of being in an English seaside resort was quite a positive one for the character behind the chalet with Maid Marian on her tiptoed feet (Chris Difford in real life, apparently), but Margate - if it was Margate - comes across as fairly seedy and banal, like most English seaside resorts. Then again, I rather like the seediness and banality of seaside resorts.......so, you're right, it's disqualified!

A loosely connected reminiscence: decades ago, I remember one of Squeeze telling how, when he and his girlfriend caught one of the trains into London on the Lewisham line, if it was one of the old-style trains with enclosed compartments, they'd have a shag between New Cross and London Bridge (about 10 mins max travel time, as I recall). I never got to try that out during my time in London, regrettably.

I had the distinct pleasure of meeting Chris Difford (and Glen Tilbrook; Jools was too 'cool' even then) about 30 years ago. 'Pulling Mussels' (the song) was about CDs experience at a Butlins holiday camp, though I don't recall him saying which one. Is there a Butlins in Margate?

Regardless, I agree that his positive experience doesn't alter the facts - it would be difficult to slander British seaside resorts to me, I loathe them.

10 mins on a train, Alf? What would you do with the other 8 mins..?

• Like 1

I had the distinct pleasure of meeting Chris Difford (and Glen Tilbrook; Jools was too 'cool' even then) about 30 years ago. 'Pulling Mussels' (the song) was about CDs experience at a Butlins holiday camp, though I don't recall him saying which one. Is there a Butlins in Margate?

Regardless, I agree that his positive experience doesn't alter the facts - it would be difficult to slander British seaside resorts to me, I loathe them.

Apologise?

Any songs about Leicester?

Lucky man.what an underrated band Squeeze were/are? Another of that time XTC.bass line of " mayor of Simpleton" is one of my favourites to listen to.

Didn't we have a mayor on here from Leicester!!!

Edited by cambridgefox

London is the only place to be. Best burgers, check. Best sandals, check. Coffee. Tesco metrosexual everywhere. The toob. Much higher class of experience, you become a better person just being there.

London is the only place to be. - true

Best burgers - true

. Best sandals - true

. Coffee - false

Tesco metrosexual everywhere - shoreditch

. The toob - true

Much higher class of experience - false

you become a better person just being there - false

London is the only place to be. - true

Best burgers - true

. Best sandals - true

. Coffee - false