Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigGibbo

How Was Your Day?

I was looking at apprenticeships recently and the wages they pay apprentice'are disgusting.

Yes but its one step back in order to take two steps forward. When i started my apprenticeship i earnt £70 a week and lived in Southampton Mon-Fri. Came home for weekends. My apprenticeship was 4 years and when i completed it and worked on site i earnt after tax £1200 a WEEK. That was working away from home and doing 70 hours a week so hard graft.

Yes but its one step back in order to take two steps forward. When i started my apprenticeship i earnt £70 a week and lived in Southampton Mon-Fri. Came home for weekends. My apprenticeship was 4 years and when i completed it and worked on site i earnt after tax £1200 a WEEK. That was working away from home and doing 70 hours a week so hard graft.

Thata fair enough. I was looking at them as a route into a new career but I literally couldn't afford to live off the wages they pay.

Thata fair enough. I was looking at them as a route into a new career but I literally couldn't afford to live off the wages they pay.

Thats the main issue. Whether you can afford to take the hit for a couple of years. When i went for the apprenticeship and got accepted i found out my missus was expecting our first child. i wasnt going to go ahead with it knowing i would be away MON-FRI but family reassured me that it was in our best interests for me to go out and get a qualification. My wages went up every year of my apprenticeship and once i hit the 3rd year i was earning more than what i was on in my previous job due to being on site and getting the overtime.

Dont work on site anymore as i hated being away from my daughter. Working 26 days straight and having 2 days off a month isnt ideal for anyone and for me the money wasnt enough. Im on less money now due to no overtime but im in a very steady job thats stil well paid and its all thanks to that jobs fair and my apprenticeship.

You would be surprised how easy it is to live on low wages. But then again i didnt have a mortgage or anything so it was very easy for me to take the hit and reap the benefits in the long run.

Not sure on your age but if an apprenticeship interested you there is an apprenticeship job fair on 12th march

http://www.leicester.gov.uk/your-council-services/education-lifelong-learning/connexions/jobs/job-fairs-and-events/

I'm 27 mate, so looking for something full time and enough to pay the mortgage, will defiantly be going down the king power on 26th, thanks for that.

Yes it was the worst job ive ever had. I used to finish at 6pm and the bus back to Leicester city centre left at 6:15pm. I remember putting my console on hold at literally 5:59pm cause many phonecalls would sometimes take a long time to finish and i could have missed my bus. I got a written warning for not being available for the last minute lol . 9 months i was there and i put on 4 stone in weight was a very low point in my life.

i got an investigation for ringing the complaints resolution line....when people were complaining. what call center was it? mine was an outsource for eon. unbelievably awful job. 

I'm 27 mate, so looking for something full time and enough to pay the mortgage, will defiantly be going down the king power on 26th, thanks for that.

Hope you find something useful. Keep looking for other jobs fairs and get your C.V. ready now rather than rushing closer to the time. Look up C.V templates online aswel cause if you have a badly worded C.V employers arent even interested.

https://www.totaljobs.com/careers-advice/cv-and-cover-letter/career-change-cv-template

The above link is the CV template i used for my wife last week when writing her CV for her. Scroll down to the 'Career Change' and download that template. If your CV is engaging then your employers will want to read more about you. The introduction is the most important section so having plenty of time to get it right is essential :thumbup:

Had to go and work in Hull today, needed to be there for 2pm for a demo which they cancelled the appointment at 1.55pm. Wasted day. Not great.

Did a short run when I got home, spent some time with the wife. Disappointed to hear we dominate a game and got nothing from it. Even worse we are further adrift at the bottom now. Gutted

For some reason, on first read, I read that as "spent some time with the wife, disappointed her". I was going to congratulate you on your honesty!

I have had better mornings.  Got a call at 9am to say my dad had a heart attack last night.  He should be ok, they put in a stent.  Suddenly feels like he is getting on a bit, and his home in France feels too far away.

Sorry to hear that Jon, hope your Dad is better soon.

I have had better mornings.  Got a call at 9am to say my dad had a heart attack last night.  He should be ok, they put in a stent.  Suddenly feels like he is getting on a bit, and his home in France feels too far away.

Sorry to hear that, Jon. London (where my elderly Dad lives) seems a long way for me, so France must be doubly difficult at such a time.

If it's any reassurance, my Dad had a double heart bypass in 1988 and has had no further problems (90 now). Hearts can last a long time if the problem is fixable and well fixed. 

I have had better mornings. Got a call at 9am to say my dad had a heart attack last night. He should be ok, they put in a stent. Suddenly feels like he is getting on a bit, and his home in France feels too far away.

Sorry to hear that, hope he makes a speedy recovery.

Sorry to hear that JTH.Stent should do the trick,I know a few people who have had them and are absolutely fine now.