Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigGibbo

How Was Your Day?

We all have to pay a little bit more Ken if we want the staff to be paid a living wage which this firm proudly puts on the screen they do.

You can't pay people £8 an hour paying Primark prices.

If beer has to go up for a fairer society to help the low paid, we should all just suck it up, we're all in it together.

It's horrendous that a highly profitable, growing business chooses to pay staff fairly, what are they thinking!

Guest MattP

It's horrendous that a highly profitable, growing business chooses to pay staff fairly, what are they thinking!

Exactly, I've often said to people if they want to pay a fair wage then you'll have to pay a fair prices. I think we've managed to find some common ground. :D

It's sickening to hear people moaning about the living wage whilst at the same time wearing a scarf or a pair of shoes they have bought from Primark for 80p made by a Bangladeshi in a sweatshop and sold by a shop floor worker on minimum wage.

Guest MattP

Lots of the high end stuff we buy is also made in sweatshops, just take the example of the electronics market. It's harder to buy no exploitative items than you'd expect.

Stick to some good tweed, or Barbour and Boss.

Lots of the high end stuff we buy is also made in sweatshops, just take the example of the electronics market. It's harder to buy no exploitative items than you'd expect.

Why would you? So the former sweatshop workers can go back to abject poverty? Better to help put them on the ladder to prosperity than deny them any opportunity to escape destitution imho.

Why would you? So the former sweatshop workers can go back to abject poverty? Better to help put them on the ladder to prosperity than deny them any opportunity to escape destitution imho.

In many ways I agree with you. People move from rural to urban areas to get jobs in these factories so that they can send money back to their families. Clearly, this benefits the workers and is better than them staying in the rural areas living a subsistence lifestyle.

However, profitable companies can and should do more to look after their workers. Often the hours are extremely long, the factories are unhealthy, and there is often abuse. I've seen factories in Africa, Asia and the Caribbean that are deplorable. Just because there is an abundance of labour and a lack of jobs doesn't mean people should be treated so poorly. 

• Like 2

Not supposed to bet is he?

some weird rule that he can't bet on any association he could be involved in or something like that. so no English football, no champs/Europa league, no internationals. he doesn't bet on footy tho, and can do what he likes on the horses, dogs, machines etc.

some weird rule that he can't bet on any association he could be involved in or something like that. so no English football, no champs/Europa league, no internationals. he doesn't bet on footy tho, and can do what he likes on the horses, dogs, machines etc.

Did Steve Claridge a world of good.

I didn't even think of betting on other sports lol

Wasn't gonna bother, but as me and my oppo should have been seriously injured / killed today, I thought I would tell you our lucky story.

Visiting our factory / workshop in Nottingham today, my mate raised the roller shutter to let me in the building, a really heavy bit of kit about 40 years old, which is 13ft high by about 10ft wide. I walked in when suddenly it sounded that a bomb had gone off. The whole shutter had collapsed in a split second, I was literally just three feet inside and turned round and saw the whole shutter on the floor, a few inches behind my heels. I reckon it would weigh as much as a small car.

My mate was luckier. He was standing at the side underneath the cog mechanism, probably 15 inch diameter solid steel about the weight of an anvil, it brushed his shoulder took the skin off his lower arm and plucked his watch off his wrist so cleanly. He had just started to move inside the factory, a split second earlier and it would have gone through his skull. He was seriously scared.

If we had stopped for a natter or anything, the whole shutter would have flattened us. Which would have been inconvenient as I am really looking forward to the Swansea match and also digging out my boots for a game on the university playing grounds in Oadby on Sunday.

But seriously was a scary moment, just shows how much luck plays in our lives.

• Like 1

Blowout at the dentist, hygienist + 2 white fillings.

one was an old amalgam which i am very happy to be rid of now.

might have to have a root canal though on the one that got replaced so we'll see how that goes ... and cosmetic stuff to be done next ..

going paris next week though, need a break

Edited by lavrentis