Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigGibbo

How Was Your Day?

Bought a City DVD from a charity shop for 75p. It includes highlightsof a pre-season match. It is from 2011/12 season. Picture of the owners on the cover

So the one everyone got for free on the last home game of that season?

Train to airport in about two hours. Then back to the UK.

Ugh. Fvcking hate flying. I'll need a drink once on board.

Yeah me too. I've taken a bus a couple of times, it felt like I was in one of those Daily Mail scare stories about migrants moving to the UK.

Life is a rollercoaster, as Ronan Keating so perceptively pointed out....

Been up and down to London every other weekend since my Mum died in December, alternating with my brother to look after Dad, who's 90, has Parkinson's and is now living alone.

He's been slowly declining, getting physically frailer and prone to occasional confusion. Last weekend got a whole lot worse, though it might be temporary....

Called him before heading down on Friday and he told me that someone had removed a lot of his furniture and that he was in completely the wrong building! As I'd expected, it turned out that his mental confusion had just gone up several notches. He was in the right building and all his furniture was there. It was just that his brain was expecting to see the set-up in their old house (they only moved to the current flat a year ago).

This confusion continued throughout the weekend (it would be fvcking bank holiday weekend, wouldn't it?!): Needed to be repeatedly shown how to get from lounge to bedroom; repeatedly opening different doors not knowing what was behind them (I've put signs on them now); not knowing what city he was in; asking if I had any children (he knows his granddaughter well); mistaking me for my Mum or my uncle; asking if I remembered playing golf with him in the 1950s....

A few hours of clarity on Monday afternoon, when he tottered out to a cafe, with me 2 inches away from him in case he fell....then the old bugger announced that we should go and buy half a bottle of whiskey (no, he'd not already been on it!).

Numerous calls to medics yesterday sound quite promising in the medium-term. Sounds like this sudden mental deterioration is due either to a recent medication change or to an infection, not to the Parkinson's itself. So, even if it takes a few days, thing might improve in the short-term....before continuing to go downhill!

We'd already arranged for a nurse to come and monitor his medication and for a local Greek woman to come and cook him dinner 4 nights a week (brother and self covering the other 3), but he needs more support or he'll end up in hospital or a care home, which we want to avoid. Have arranged an "urgent" social services assessment....for a month's time (how long does a non-urgent assessment take, 5 years?!?). Brother is taking him to the GP today, hoping for a referral to the Community Matron Service, which seems the best chance of getting some daily support quickly......self in Leicester, brother in SE London, both with family commitments. Bit of a nightmare. Throw a few extra ingredients into the mix: wife at hospital for a minor leg op today; general election tomorrow; daughter's birthday laser event at Megazone on Saturday. I need a fvcking rest and am not likely to get one for a long time!

Partly sharing all this as a pre-prepared excuse in case I dole out a load of drunken abuse to some tosser (or nice person) on here at 2am one of these days.... Apologies in advance and hoping for some understanding!  lol

Been up and down to London every other weekend since my Mum died in December, alternating with my brother to look after Dad, who's 90, has Parkinson's and is now living alone.

He's been slowly declining, getting physically frailer and prone to occasional confusion. Last weekend got a whole lot worse, though it might be temporary....

Called him before heading down on Friday and he told me that someone had removed a lot of his furniture and that he was in completely the wrong building! As I'd expected, it turned out that his mental confusion had just gone up several notches. He was in the right building and all his furniture was there. It was just that his brain was expecting to see the set-up in their old house (they only moved to the current flat a year ago).

This confusion continued throughout the weekend (it would be fvcking bank holiday weekend, wouldn't it?!): Needed to be repeatedly shown how to get from lounge to bedroom; repeatedly opening different doors not knowing what was behind them (I've put signs on them now); not knowing what city he was in; asking if I had any children (he knows his granddaughter well); mistaking me for my Mum or my uncle; asking if I remembered playing golf with him in the 1950s....

A few hours of clarity on Monday afternoon, when he tottered out to a cafe, with me 2 inches away from him in case he fell....then the old bugger announced that we should go and buy half a bottle of whiskey (no, he'd not already been on it!).

Numerous calls to medics yesterday sound quite promising in the medium-term. Sounds like this sudden mental deterioration is due either to a recent medication change or to an infection, not to the Parkinson's itself. So, even if it takes a few days, thing might improve in the short-term....before continuing to go downhill!

We'd already arranged for a nurse to come and monitor his medication and for a local Greek woman to come and cook him dinner 4 nights a week (brother and self covering the other 3), but he needs more support or he'll end up in hospital or a care home, which we want to avoid. Have arranged an "urgent" social services assessment....for a month's time (how long does a non-urgent assessment take, 5 years?!?). Brother is taking him to the GP today, hoping for a referral to the Community Matron Service, which seems the best chance of getting some daily support quickly......self in Leicester, brother in SE London, both with family commitments. Bit of a nightmare. Throw a few extra ingredients into the mix: wife at hospital for a minor leg op today; general election tomorrow; daughter's birthday laser event at Megazone on Saturday. I need a fvcking rest and am not likely to get one for a long time!

Partly sharing all this as a pre-prepared excuse in case I dole out a load of drunken abuse to some tosser (or nice person) on here at 2am one of these days.... Apologies in advance and hoping for some understanding!  lol

You have all my sympathy, I know how terrible dealing with stuff like this is.  I have massive respect for the amount of work you're doing to handle the situation, stay strong pal.

Guest MattP

Hopefully you can keep your head up mate, it must be awful to be going through this, it really is no life to live at all by the sounds of it for your Dad, I really hope what you have described there is temporary and down to medication rather than a more serious decline. You and your brother should be very proud though of what you are doing, so many these days seem to fob off their own elderly, could tell you wouldn't be one of those people.

I'd have taken him up on the whisky idea mind!

I'd love to see a 2am alcohol induced rant after a Tory majority though. :ph34r:

You have all my sympathy, I know how terrible dealing with stuff like this is.  I have massive respect for the amount of work you're doing to handle the situation, stay strong pal.

Cheers, mate.

Since my earlier post, I've now had my 92-year-old mother-in-law on the phone. A close member of my in-law family is at the mother-in-law's house off her head with psychotic delusions (though not dangerous to herself or others).

Needless to say, her psychiatric support worker is away on a training course and nobody else is available to deal with the situation.

All we need now is for the cat to get run over and the Tories to win a landslide.  lol

Hopefully you can keep your head up mate, it must be awful to be going through this, it really is no life to live at all by the sounds of it for your Dad, I really hope what you have described there is temporary and down to medication rather than a more serious decline. You and your brother should be very proud though of what you are doing, so many these days seem to fob off their own elderly, could tell you wouldn't be one of those people.

I'd have taken him up on the whisky idea mind!

I'd love to see a 2am alcohol induced rant after a Tory majority though. :ph34r:

Oh, he got his bottle of Jameson's! That was another of the things that wasn't right over the weekend. He normally has a couple of glasses of wine with his dinner and a glass of Jameson's before bed, one of the few pleasures remaining in his life, together with having a nice meal, watching the birds in the garden, seeing us lot and looking at the paper. He was a fluent Greek speaker with a 1st class OU degree, one of the best-read blokes you're ever likely to meet but could not read a book now. Still occasionally recites poetry or sings the odd Irish folk song, though, particularly after his beverage. Hopefully tackling the infection or medication will eliminate the worst of the confusion.

There are different ways of looking at it. He was in great health till at least 85 and is now 90, and the last one remaining of his school year.....I'd settle for that right now, knowing that a lot of people are a lot less lucky. Sad and moving to see the decline and his struggle to cope with it, though. I'm a "glass half full" sort, both literally and psychologically!

I'll try to avoid any 2am rants if the Tories win, though I would find it very depressing. That's partly why I'm focusing on the outside chance of the Tories still getting a majority, so that I'm psychologically prepared for it and don't get into drunken rant mode!

I worked as a social worker in adult social care for a couple of years. If you need any information or guidance of how to go about your meeting with them I'll be glad to help.

I worked as a social worker in adult social care for a couple of years. If you need any information or guidance of how to go about your meeting with them I'll be glad to help.

• Like 1