Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigGibbo

How Was Your Day?

Life is a rollercoaster, as Ronan Keating so perceptively pointed out....

Been up and down to London every other weekend since my Mum died in December, alternating with my brother to look after Dad, who's 90, has Parkinson's and is now living alone.

He's been slowly declining, getting physically frailer and prone to occasional confusion. Last weekend got a whole lot worse, though it might be temporary....

Called him before heading down on Friday and he told me that someone had removed a lot of his furniture and that he was in completely the wrong building! As I'd expected, it turned out that his mental confusion had just gone up several notches. He was in the right building and all his furniture was there. It was just that his brain was expecting to see the set-up in their old house (they only moved to the current flat a year ago).

This confusion continued throughout the weekend (it would be fvcking bank holiday weekend, wouldn't it?!): Needed to be repeatedly shown how to get from lounge to bedroom; repeatedly opening different doors not knowing what was behind them (I've put signs on them now); not knowing what city he was in; asking if I had any children (he knows his granddaughter well); mistaking me for my Mum or my uncle; asking if I remembered playing golf with him in the 1950s....

A few hours of clarity on Monday afternoon, when he tottered out to a cafe, with me 2 inches away from him in case he fell....then the old bugger announced that we should go and buy half a bottle of whiskey (no, he'd not already been on it!).

Numerous calls to medics yesterday sound quite promising in the medium-term. Sounds like this sudden mental deterioration is due either to a recent medication change or to an infection, not to the Parkinson's itself. So, even if it takes a few days, thing might improve in the short-term....before continuing to go downhill!

We'd already arranged for a nurse to come and monitor his medication and for a local Greek woman to come and cook him dinner 4 nights a week (brother and self covering the other 3), but he needs more support or he'll end up in hospital or a care home, which we want to avoid. Have arranged an "urgent" social services assessment....for a month's time (how long does a non-urgent assessment take, 5 years?!?). Brother is taking him to the GP today, hoping for a referral to the Community Matron Service, which seems the best chance of getting some daily support quickly......self in Leicester, brother in SE London, both with family commitments. Bit of a nightmare. Throw a few extra ingredients into the mix: wife at hospital for a minor leg op today; general election tomorrow; daughter's birthday laser event at Megazone on Saturday. I need a fvcking rest and am not likely to get one for a long time!

Partly sharing all this as a pre-prepared excuse in case I dole out a load of drunken abuse to some tosser (or nice person) on here at 2am one of these days.... Apologies in advance and hoping for some understanding!  lol

Life can be a bastard at times, you seem like someone who can cope well with it, sometimes humour is the only way to do that.  Your father should have the care he deserves and I hope he gets it not just for him but for your family as well.

• Like 1

Life is a rollercoaster, as Ronan Keating so perceptively pointed out....

Been up and down to London every other weekend since my Mum died in December, alternating with my brother to look after Dad, who's 90, has Parkinson's and is now living alone.

He's been slowly declining, getting physically frailer and prone to occasional confusion. Last weekend got a whole lot worse, though it might be temporary....

Called him before heading down on Friday and he told me that someone had removed a lot of his furniture and that he was in completely the wrong building! As I'd expected, it turned out that his mental confusion had just gone up several notches. He was in the right building and all his furniture was there. It was just that his brain was expecting to see the set-up in their old house (they only moved to the current flat a year ago).

This confusion continued throughout the weekend (it would be fvcking bank holiday weekend, wouldn't it?!): Needed to be repeatedly shown how to get from lounge to bedroom; repeatedly opening different doors not knowing what was behind them (I've put signs on them now); not knowing what city he was in; asking if I had any children (he knows his granddaughter well); mistaking me for my Mum or my uncle; asking if I remembered playing golf with him in the 1950s....

A few hours of clarity on Monday afternoon, when he tottered out to a cafe, with me 2 inches away from him in case he fell....then the old bugger announced that we should go and buy half a bottle of whiskey (no, he'd not already been on it!).

Numerous calls to medics yesterday sound quite promising in the medium-term. Sounds like this sudden mental deterioration is due either to a recent medication change or to an infection, not to the Parkinson's itself. So, even if it takes a few days, thing might improve in the short-term....before continuing to go downhill!

We'd already arranged for a nurse to come and monitor his medication and for a local Greek woman to come and cook him dinner 4 nights a week (brother and self covering the other 3), but he needs more support or he'll end up in hospital or a care home, which we want to avoid. Have arranged an "urgent" social services assessment....for a month's time (how long does a non-urgent assessment take, 5 years?!?). Brother is taking him to the GP today, hoping for a referral to the Community Matron Service, which seems the best chance of getting some daily support quickly......self in Leicester, brother in SE London, both with family commitments. Bit of a nightmare. Throw a few extra ingredients into the mix: wife at hospital for a minor leg op today; general election tomorrow; daughter's birthday laser event at Megazone on Saturday. I need a fvcking rest and am not likely to get one for a long time!

Partly sharing all this as a pre-prepared excuse in case I dole out a load of drunken abuse to some tosser (or nice person) on here at 2am one of these days.... Apologies in advance and hoping for some understanding!  lol

Good Luck, My dad had Alzheimers and watching the confusion and fear set in is awful , i feel for you and your family.

Good luck, hopefully its temporary.. either way, make the most of him :)

• Like 1

Longish flying visit. Three months to do best man duty for my friends wedding and get paperwork I need together, and then off again.

Three months to do some paperwork! lol you're a proper academic now, stick around mate if Labour win there will be a well paid public sector job waiting for you with that kind of work rate

What did you buy?

I've been looking for the past couple of weeks, can't decide whether to get a BMW 320d or a VW golf gtd.

Very nice.Never had a brand spanker before but my Mrs got an Audi A5 s line Black Edition( which is white) Really impressed with it,lovely drive.Have you thought about an Audi,I wasn't a fan but I am now.

Very nice.Never had a brand spanker before but my Mrs got an Audi A5 s line Black Edition( which is white) Really impressed with it,lovely drive.Have you thought about an Audi,I wasn't a fan but I am now.

I've got an Audi A3 s line currently, really nice car & lovely to drive but just got a bit bored of it.

The only thing that puts me if with BMW's is that they are rear wheel drive. I know we don't get much of it but when it snows they are bloody awful, I had 1 series a few years ago and I couldn't get it off my driveway for 2 days.

Just had to go to the police station to get finger printed for police clearance for Zambia. It was a weird experience. I've only ever been in one other police station and that was in Liberia. Both the same. Grubby, inefficient, using manual processes. I've no idea how they are going to match our inked fingerprints against any crimes that have been committed. Will they go through each open crime file and manually check?!!

Now I'm drinking to celebrate the Tory victory!

Edited by Merging Cultures

I've got an Audi A3 s line currently, really nice car & lovely to drive but just got a bit bored of it.

The only thing that puts me if with BMW's is that they are rear wheel drive. I know we don't get much of it but when it snows they are bloody awful, I had 1 series a few years ago and I couldn't get it off my driveway for 2 days.

tell me about it,I live on the only steep hill in the Fens, the Mrs had a Mercedes CLK and it just wanted to turn around, bit scary!

I worked as a social worker in adult social care for a couple of years. If you need any information or guidance of how to go about your meeting with them I'll be glad to help.

I worked as a social worker in adult social care for a couple of years. If you need any information or guidance of how to go about your meeting with them I'll be glad to help.

Sorry, could you repeat that.  :unsure:

What did you buy?

I've been looking for the past couple of weeks, can't decide whether to get a BMW 320d or a VW golf gtd.

got a kia picanto, nearly 3 years old. free road tax, lowest insurance group & fuel lasts forever. fitted the bill very nicely. 

i'm still immature enough to laugh at the name BMW not gonna lie. 

tell me about it,I live on the only steep hill in the Fens, the Mrs had a Mercedes CLK and it just wanted to turn around, bit scary!

Hmm, scary, but good fun! :P