Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigGibbo

How Was Your Day?

As long as the education and advice for further advancement was made available along with the work (the onus should be on them finding different employment ASAP and the help should be there for that) and the combined cost of the benefit and education courses they received was equal or higher to the minimum wage I'd agree with that. Otherwise it's just not strictly speaking legal.

I think the actual pay/benefit should be matching hours of minimum wage. The courses should be free at point of entry and paid back via a tuition fees basis. How workable it is I'm not sure, i think under 24s qualify for free education anyway, so they would be exempt.

Guest MattP

Are we really going to collapse back into 19th century attitudes towards poverty?

Personally I favour the introduction of a citizens income set just above the level of relative poverty.

How in god's name to do propose to pay for that?

We're 1.5trillion in debt, borrowing 90billion a year to get by and we have people putting forward ideas that revolves around giving everyone more free money, is there an end to this madness?

not everyone has a smart phone. I know people in their 50's who don't even own a mobile or an interest in computers. Mobiles cost money to  run. Which do you pay for first, rent or a mobile contract/top up? If a person has worked for 30  years at one place theymay have little knowledge of a CV requirements. I never when I left a hosiery factory. I was lucky  I had an interest in technology PC's and there was help at hand to assist. Also I was not out of work for long. Not  everyone has the same chances. The long time disabled and sick and those with learning difficulties. There are also a lot of young people brought up in an abusive environment or a care home.

I think the actual pay/benefit should be matching hours of minimum wage. The courses should be free at point of entry and paid back via a tuition fees basis. How workable it is I'm not sure, i think under 24s qualify for free education anyway, so they would be exempt.

I think that's both workable and reasonable.

Are we really going to collapse back into 19th century attitudes towards poverty?

Personally I favour the introduction of a citizens income set just above the level of relative poverty.

I think you know full well that we're absolutely nowhere near 19th century poverty and there is no indication whatsoever that we're going to get anywhere close to it. We still spend a higher proportion of public money on out of work benefits than every single other country in the world. People on benefits are still better off than some people who work. People who can work still don't because they'd simply rather not. We could chop the current benefits bill in half and still have a more generous welfare system than most countries in the world have at any point in history. Edited by MooseBreath

I have infinitely less problem with this or work programme or whatever else than I do simply making claimants sign on every day for essentially no other reason than trying to catch out a small handful of ultra lazy or disorganised wasters.

not everyone has a smart phone. I know people in their 50's who don't even own a mobile or an interest in computers. Mobiles cost money to run. Which do you pay for first, rent or a mobile contract/top up? If a person has worked for 30 years at one place theymay have little knowledge of a CV requirements. I never when I left a hosiery factory. I was lucky I had an interest in technology PC's and there was help at hand to assist. Also I was not out of work for long. Not everyone has the same chances. The long time disabled and sick and those with learning difficulties. There are also a lot of young people brought up in an abusive environment or a care home.

Who's fault is it if someone doesn't keep up with the basic technology of their age? Is there anything stopping someone from learning these basic skills?

I have infinitely less problem with this or work programme or whatever else than I do simply making claimants sign on every day for essentially no other reason than trying to catch out a small handful of ultra lazy or disorganised wasters.

And helping them establish a routine, avoiding the risk of even non-wasters falling into the easy dependency trap.

Fault and blame is irrelevant. It's too late to start finger pointing.

Again, the state wants these people off benefits and in employment then we're going to have to accept that there's still a lot of people that are going to need help getting there.

Whinging about them and demonising them all as lazy or useless might make you feel better but it's not actually going to resolve anything is it?

Guest MattP

Who's fault is it if someone doesn't keep up with the basic technology of their age? Is there anything stopping someone from learning these basic skills?

But they could have had a bout of depression or had a breakdown after a relationship ended, a worthwhile excuse now to accidently let technology just pass you by for 45 years.

But they could have had a bout of depression or had a breakdown after a relationship ended, a worthwhile excuse now to accidently let technology just pass you by for 45 years.

Obviously not a good excuse to let 45 years pass you by but actually, seriously, that could be a genuine obstacle for someone.

Depression might have skipped strangely straight from taboo to vogue but it doesn't stop it becoming a genuine issue for a lot of people not feigning it to be lazy.

Guest MattP

Again, the state wants these people off benefits and in employment then we're going to have to accept that there's still a lot of people that are going to need help getting there.

Whinging about them and demonising them all as lazy or useless might make you feel better but it's not actually going to resolve anything is it?

It's never to late to address and make sure people know what went wrong in the first place, I remember you being one of the people obsessed with claiming that a lot of these people were figments of the imagination when people knew they weren't, instead of sorting the problem you preferred to bury your head in the sand choosing to blame the Daily Mail for scaremongering rather than tackling the people who were cheating the system.

It's not about how many are doing it, not a numbers game, it's about making sure everyone now grows up wanting to make the best of themselves, the problem of a kid being born into a family where they have never ever seen the old man do a day's work simply had to stop and these policies will help that.

Clearly more needs to be done to actually help them into work (you have to wonder what's going on in the schools as well in a developed country if kids are in them for 10-12 years and leave without having an idea how to compile a CV) but this is going to be a very long process.

All sorts of free courses in how to use basic modern technology are available. These people ken talks about, who I'm not sure even exist in significant numbers, have ignored those opportunities many times already. Why should I keep paying for them to continue refusing free opportunities to make themselves employable?

Guest MattP

I've never denied welfare cheats exist, I just don't accept they're a majority of claimants.

I don't anyone has ever suggested they are, let alone you think that. People don't like the attitude of we're aren't going to do anything about these people just because they aren't a huge problem though, they are a huge problem as like a disease if nothing is done about it it spreads.

Edited by MattP