Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigGibbo

How Was Your Day?

I'm currently on holiday in Orlando. The restaurant service over here really puts the UK to shame (I'm generalising). Every time I visit the U.S. I'm reminded how shite we really are at customer service. It's nice to feel special and appreciated as a customer if only for a few weeks a year. The Americans are brilliant at this and we could learn a lot from them imho.

That's how they earn their wage. They're like hookers in that sense.

• Like 1

Service is definitely much better in North america but as mentioned its mainly in part to low wages. Servers are always nice but behind that backroom door who knows what happens to your food lol.

Great time to watch the movie "waiting".

On the other hand they expect a 15-20% tip which can easily be $20 a table. I'd have though it would be possible to serve 20 tables in a day.

Absolutely hate the customer service in America, couldn't be any more infuriating to me. The worst are the store attendants, "hi how are you?", "hi how are you", "how are you" it's like a never ending alarm clock of requited care, and they don't have a clue how to react when you ask them the same question because they're used to the same answers day in, day out.

lol would you prefer them to tell you to wank off? I get it but lets be honest in any field of work do employees really and truly care when they say that to a customer? Probably to a small degree but thats it.

Nothing wrong with being nice even if its a bit fake.

In canada at least in my experiences the servers/waiteresses interact with you more if you ask them questions back etc

I like the no bullshit continental approach. Just give me a fvcking coffee and let's not pretend we actually like each other.

Touche. I get that. Just saying being a little nice isnt a bad thing. Us canadians are a kind lot for the most part so in the dna.

lol would you prefer them to tell you to wank off? I get it but lets be honest in any field of work do employees really and truly care when they say that to a customer? Probably to a small degree but thats it.

Nothing wrong with being nice even if its a bit fake.

In canada at least in my experiences the servers/waiteresses interact with you more if you ask them questions back etc

I'd prefer them to get behind the counter where their opposable thumbs can be of use.

With dining it's a little different, theres more of an element of respect for services in the States, whereas in the UK it can be a little lacklustre, though still the server doesn't personally impede. I've had more terrible dining experiences in the States than in the UK for sure.

I like the no bullshit continental approach. Just give me a fvcking coffee and let's not pretend we actually like each other.

Just the way I like it.

Me and the missus stopped using a certain establishment because of one over enthusiastic waitress.

The food was great, the atmosphere lovely, but having the waitress introduce herself by name and ask why we chose their establishment, before being told our choice was an excellent choice which she would have ordered herself, followed by being asked twice during the meal whether all was to our satisfaction (just after taking a bite), was just too much.

Bring me my food, catch my eye if I need you, but otherwise leave me alone.

Speaking of service in restaurants, things can get bit awkward for me whenever I wanted to catch waiter's eye because I am deaf and do not speak, I have to wave my hand to get their attention. If I am unlucky enough to be in a restaurant with bad service then it can result in an initial timid wave escalating into full on two armed wave to get their bloody attention!