Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigGibbo

How Was Your Day?

My project (/dissertation) supervisor - who I'm supposed to be meeting with weekly - has been out of the country since September, leaving me to teach myself a ridiculously advanced stats topic before she gets back at the end of the month for us to make a start on the actual project itself.

Except now I've just found out that she's had to extend her trip and won't be back until the new year, meaning I've got to start everything with no clue whatsoever how to do it. FFS. That's about 20% of my degree which has just got far, far harder than it should be :/

On the plus side, won a £100 departmental prize for making the best poster about my placement year, and I'm getting a free curry from my mate for my birthday earlier this week. Decent.

Edited by Xen

My project (/dissertation) supervisor - who I'm supposed to be meeting with weekly - has been out of the country since September, leaving me to teach myself a ridiculously advanced stats topic before she gets back at the end of the month for us to make a start on the actual project itself.

Except now I've just found out that she's had to extend her trip and won't be back until the new year, meaning I've got to start everything with no clue whatsoever how to do it. FFS. That's about 20% of my degree which has just got far, far harder than it should be :/

On the plus side, won a £100 departmental prize for making the best poster about my placement year, and I'm getting a free curry from my mate for my birthday earlier this week. Decent.

Why don't you complain to the course leader, as she may give you an alternative tutor for it?

Why don't you complain to the course leader, as she may give you an alternative tutor for it?

I was planning on speaking to them tomorrow when I've got time to head to the maths office. There is someone from the sports science department who has worked with her on a similar project previously who I'm also going to speak to though.

Just incredibly frustrating, particularly as there have been quite a few organisation issues lately with the department :/

I'll also be submitting an Impaired Performance form when I submit my project, which should see it marked a little more leniently. Hopefully.

How you getting on with your night shifts?

im back on days this week and weekend (well, lates/earlies) and this has been the hard bit i think, readjusting. the actual nights were pretty sweet. only hitch was in the run of 5 nights of 2330-0730, one in the middle was changed to 0330-1130 which threw me a bit lol

sort of enjoyed having a break at like 4am and strolling round town while clubs and bars were kicking freshers out. like a trip to the zoo :D

I'll agree with you to a degree with this Ken . There have been some shocking cases exposed . However , nothing is ever reported on the lazy spongers that are being told to work . Swings and roundabouts in cases like this .

They are reported though. It is what started off the 'shirkers workers culture. People in wheelchairs are being called frauds now because they can walk a few yards with sticks. Words in newspapers can be a powerful tool.

People tend not to believe the shocking stories calling them 'leftie propaganda'

The fraud is not as high as some would have us believe. There is a fair amount that is not claimed either through ignorance or pride.

They are reported though. It is what started off the 'shirkers workers culture. People in wheelchairs are being called frauds now because they can walk a few yards with sticks. Words in newspapers can be a powerful tool.

People tend not to believe the shocking stories calling them 'leftie propaganda'

The fraud is not as high as some would have us believe. There is a fair amount that is not claimed either through ignorance or pride.

How do you know this?

You couldn't calculate benefit fraud surely on the basis that you wouldn't know it's fraudulent?

A paragraph is not enough.

I agree that will be those that abuse the system but the majority of doctors only sign people off when they are ill. It is being run by Maximus who are being paid by the government. The assessments will be done over the phone or online and will cost a few million (check for amount) The lad in question was suicidal which could have affected his ability to do his work efficiently.

Quite a few doctors will be boycotting it. 

I wanted to post a picture as a humorous follow up but could not copy it. It was a picture of a skeleton in a wheelchair holding a placard with the words 'Fit for work' written on it.

I'm not sure how assessing over the phone will work. They will not be able to see physical or internal illnesses. It seems it will be another ticking a box process which has been tio show does not always work for ATOS with the number of successful appeals.

Whoa there cowboy, let me just stop you there right now, as this has quite annoyed me.

Posting up a person's case via wordpress doesn't count for shit in all honesty. Person 'X' will have been refused a sicknote because, quite obviously, they are well enough for work, and not because of some evil Tory scheme to work people in to the ground. I have close friends who work in the NHS and who are GPs, and let me guarantee you 100% that anyone thought to be genuinely suicidal will get time off work and will be suggested to seek counsel whether it via via the approved GP's list or privately, and rightly so. For the person to turn round in that Wordpress piece and blame it on a Tory scheme is utter horsh1t and they should be ashamed of themselves. It's rather demeaning to the genuine people who have to deal with such stresses.

EDIT: Sorry for the snappy reply, it just irked me that someone's own personal experience (which I highly doubt is true), has been used somehow as a stick to beat Doctors and Torys with.

Edited by Darkon84
  • Like 3

Just got a phone call to say i got the Ladbrokes job :)

Had a good feeling after the interview

Thanks pal. What was yours for?

Congrats!

It was for an IT job up in Manchester. Went okay until the last couple of minutes, when I shot myself in the foot big-time.

I didn't meet my project supervisor until the end of March, and prior to that it was only a handful of emails lol

Still got 83% though so basically did it on my own with no help :cool:

I don't even know what to say about that.  Horrific.

What I want to know, where is Corbyn, where are the Corbynites.  Why isn't CORBYN asking the government to do something that's happening all the time in an ex british colony.  The guy is asking for Britian to intervene in a case where people have been on trial and judged, where this case, people who pose no threat are just being shot and killed

Knocked off work a couple of hours early, met a couple of mates for a beer at Forest Park one of them is friends with Matt Elliott and he was there, he doesn't like Stringer much.

Got home had a takeaway curry and just finished packing my suitcase. Off to South Africa tomorrow, today has been a good day.

• Like 1

Knocked off work a couple of hours early, met a couple of mates for a beer at Forest Park one of them is friends with Matt Elliott and he was there, he doesn't like Stringer much.

Got home had a takeaway curry and just finished packing my suitcase. Off to South Africa tomorrow, today has been a good day.

that does sound like a good day