Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigGibbo

How Was Your Day?

It's been a tough, strenuous week on the road (spent a few days away in Vienna on duty) and in the office editing, writing, planning, shooting, taking sports pictures and I'm just glad I've gotten as far as Friday evening. :D

It gets to the point that I often come back home rather late from work, but still want to enjoy the rest of the evening as much as I can, so I stay up all night and go to bed past midnight way too regularly.

Which only increases my tiredness at times - thank **** for weekends.

Edited by MC Prussian

Wow, 

Thankyou everyone for the condolences, I really do appreciate it, 

The very least I can do for her is to give her a great send off, so thankfully that's keeping me busy at the moment, I'm not particularly religious, but I believe there is something after death, Hopefully after all these years she can finally be with my little brother now.

I really do appreciate the sentiments.

Well I've been dismissed at work. lol  Don't worry though, I've got almost half a year's pay coming my way so I have plenty of spare time to contest the flimsy reasons they gave to get me out the door.

It all started when I was looking through the many files named scan[insert number here] in my scans folder to find an old document I hadn't bothered renaming all that time ago when I scanned it into the system.  As it happens, one of the files I clicked on during my hunt turned out to be one of my colleague's contracts (you'll have to ask the HR lady why it was still in there instead of in her own folder on the system).  Thinking the hourly rate looked far too low I mentioned it quietly to his girlfriend who also works there (he wasn't in that day).  Apparently when I carefully explained what had happened and then told her she and he may want to look into it, she decided to go straight to the bosses who are now making out I've somehow done something wrong here.  Really?  You find out your other half's being mistreated at work and you think the best course of action is to ingratiate yourself with the corrupt motherlovers responsible by giving them an extremely tenuous reason to fire the person showing solidarity with you?  Poor guy, she isn't even attractive. 

The best bit of it all is they clearly don't care how sloppy the whole "he saw a file which had been incompetently left in a folder he uses daily, then mentioned his concerns over its legality to an appropriate party" thing is because they followed it up with 3 equally spurious reasons for dismissal:

-Seeing this document during working hours (I shit you not).

-Having a poor attitude towards my superiors.  Interestingly I've not been warned about that once.  My poor attitude consists of things like requesting that they tell me in person about changes to procedure for my role instead of leaving a general note about it in the breakroom and hoping myself and the one other person it actually affects happen to see it before this new information becomes pertinent to our daily work.  I certainly didn't.
-Last but not least, apparently they had issues with my timekeeping.  Again, I've not received a single written or even verbal warning to suggest they had an issue.

I reckon they're hoping I'll take the compensation quietly and not make a fuss which is astounding since they know I'm signed up to a union.  If the lawyer I'm in contact with through them agrees with my prognosis that they're a bunch of incompetent jebends then you can bet I'll make them sweat. I guess he may yet turn around and say "actually they have you bang to rights" in which case I'll be very surprised but at least I'll hold my hands up and say fair enough.

But I digress, what's important here is I won't have to work in that hole over Christmas and now I realistically have until Spring to find a new job where the bosses aren't entirely amoral jerks.

Well I've been dismissed at work. lol Don't worry though, I've got almost half a year's pay coming my way so I have plenty of spare time to contest the flimsy reasons they gave to get me out the door.

It all started when I was looking through the many files named scan[insert number here] in my scans folder to find an old document I hadn't bothered renaming all that time ago when I scanned it into the system. As it happens, one of the files I clicked on during my hunt turned out to be one of my colleague's contracts (you'll have to ask the HR lady why it was still in there instead of in her own folder on the system). Thinking the hourly rate looked far too low I mentioned it quietly to his girlfriend who also works there (he wasn't in that day). Apparently when I carefully explained what had happened and then told her she and he may want to look into it, she decided to go straight to the bosses who are now making out I've somehow done something wrong here. Really? You find out your other half's being mistreated at work and you think the best course of action is to ingratiate yourself with the corrupt motherlovers responsible by giving them an extremely tenuous reason to fire the person showing solidarity with you? Poor guy, she isn't even attractive.

The best bit of it all is they clearly don't care how sloppy the whole "he saw a file which had been incompetently left in a folder he uses daily, then mentioned his concerns over its legality to an appropriate party" thing is because they followed it up with 3 equally spurious reasons for dismissal:

-Seeing this document during working hours (I shit you not).

-Having a poor attitude towards my superiors. Interestingly I've not been warned about that once. My poor attitude consists of things like requesting that they tell me in person about changes to procedure for my role instead of leaving a general note about it in the breakroom and hoping myself and the one other person it actually affects happen to see it before this new information becomes pertinent to our daily work. I certainly didn't.

-Last but not least, apparently they had issues with my timekeeping. Again, I've not received a single written or even verbal warning to suggest they had an issue.

I reckon they're hoping I'll take the compensation quietly and not make a fuss which is astounding since they know I'm signed up to a union. If the lawyer I'm in contact with through them agrees with my prognosis that they're a bunch of incompetent jebends then you can bet I'll make them sweat. I guess he may yet turn around and say "actually they have you bang to rights" in which case I'll be very surprised but at least I'll hold my hands up and say fair enough.

But I digress, what's important here is I won't have to work in that hole over Christmas and now I realistically have until Spring to find a new job where the bosses aren't entirely amoral jerks.

lol Well that's all a bit ridiculous! As a first "offence" the most you should have got is some kind of warning. But the fact you had no idea you were going to click on that document, and it was someone else's fault it was in a place you could find it makes it a bit of a joke.

Only two things I think you did wrong, but still only deserved a bit of a slap on the wrist. First, you should have told your bosses that you'd found the contract in the scan folder and accidentally opened it, instead it seems you went straight to this guys missus. You could have still gone to his missus after speaking with your bosses, but the fact you went to her with your concerns and didn't tell your bosses of the incident looks a bit suspect. Secondly on opening the document, having seen what it is, you've clearly decided to go on and have a little read of it rather than just shut it straight away. Tbh I'd have read it too, but you've then put that fact out there. If you going to read something confidential don't make it common knowledge.

But I still think a warning would have been enough, and a warning for the HR lady for being incompetent and leaving confidential files where others can find them. You never know, maybe it was a set up lol Leave a fake contract in the scans folder with a fake shitty wage and see who goes blabbing.

Edited by Facecloth
  • Like 1

lol Well that's all a bit ridiculous! As a first "offence" the most you should have got is some kind of warning. But the fact you had no idea you were going to click on that document, and it was someone else's fault it was in a place you could find it makes it a bit of a joke.

Only two things I think you did wrong, but still only deserved a bit of a slap on the wrist. First, you should have told your bosses that you'd found the contract in the scan folder and accidentally opened it, instead it seems you went straight to this guys missus. You could have still gone to his missus after speaking with your bosses, but the fact you went to her with your concerns and didn't tell your bosses of the incident looks a bit suspect. Secondly on opening the document, having seen what it is, you've clearly decided to go on and have a little read of it rather than just shut it straight away. Tbh I'd have read it too, but you've then put that fact out there. If you going to read something confidential don't make it common knowledge.

But I still think a warning would have been enough, and a warning for the HR lady for being incompetent and leaving confidential files where others can find them. You never know, maybe it was a set up lol Leave a fake contract in the scans folder with a fake shitty wage and see who goes blabbing.

I think you give them too much credit there lol  The contract is literally a page long with very little on it so the wage is kind of staring you in the face the second it opens, not much I could've done there.

As a bit of context my employers already have a history of:

-Not giving people days off when they're entitled to one.  I think me recently discovering that they've essentially been stealing people's mandatory paid days off over public holidays (for goodness knows how many years) and subsequently making sure that all members of staff I saw were made aware that they have the right to claim a day in lieu each time they get called in on a public holiday might have upset them a bit.  I was suspended not a day after handing in my first written request for a day in lieu having consulted with HR before doing so, the conversation went something like:

"If we work a public holiday does that mean we get a day off in lieu?"

"Erm, we've not been doing so..."

"But in terms of the Belgian law?"

"...yes."

"Can I have my day off then please?"

"Erm, when would you like it?"  (She then went on to suggest I make the request in writing and I duly obliged.)

-Paying people in the black for overtime so that the company saves money in taxes and skimming 10% off the top anyway, more for some people.

-Withholding said money from till staff entirely because the company lost money when a card reader malfunctioned under their watch.  It's happened a couple of times that I know of.

-Firing staff without giving enough notice then attempting to intimidate said person back into working a few weeks once the union pointed out that she was still entitled to pay for the remaining weeks of mandatory notice she hadn't been given.

-Knowingly serving out of date food to customers.

-Changing staff's contracts without their consent.

I'm sure there's more I'm not thinking of right now but the point I'm trying to make is of course I didn't go straight to those crooks upstairs!  My first thought was that this is yet another case of malicious mismanagement so lets let the people involved know they're probably being treated unfairly. I obviously didn't even begin to countenance that it might be a course of action that would cause her to turn on me!  As it transpires she's returned the favour in the most unwitting of ways - I was already looking for a way out and massively dreading the Christmas period so for her to give me what amounts to a few months paid leave to sort my next step out was very kind of her!

Edited by Carl the Llama

In the words of Alan Sugar "you're fired"

Or perhaps

"You're suspended. On full pay, with the potential for a substantial compensatory payout, because my failure to comply with employment law is, at best, incompetent and at worst fraudulent."

I must have missed that episode of The Apprentice.

The popularity of the concept of a big boss sacking employees on the spot blinds people to the fact that, where somebody has full employment rights, it's incredibly difficult to sack them.

Most employment contracts have clauses about confidential information. Under one such clause I doubt it would matter that you've seen the document accidentally, what you subsequently did with the information learned would be a misuse of confidential information.

However, if your contract is one page long and they're inventing other reasons for the sacking it sounds like they've not covered themselves at all. They sound like a bunch of cvnts so good luck pillaging them for all they're worth.

Edited by MooseBreath
  • Like 2

Seems to me that other people's contracts are nothing to do with anyone but the person concerned and their employer. Anyone else who even dreams of getting involved - without prior authority - is putting their status as a trusted employee at risk.    

As I understand it, if for whatever reason you witness what you believe to be illegal activities by your employer, it is your legal obligation to blow that whistle by mentioning it to a legal authority or to a relevant party who can take it up with a legal authority themselves (ie. when I was given a document requesting out of date gammon to be made into soup for the Tea Room and took a photocopy to a colleague who was in contact with the health and safety people). Besides, in your version how would you obtain this prior authority?  By asking the employer who you think may be underpaying their staff if that is indeed what they're doing and would they mind if I mentioned it to the person in question?  Or by doing what I did and taking it to someone you think has no incentive to sweep it under the rug if there is indeed something wrong there?

Obviously it will all be resolved by the lawyer but I'm pretty confident I'm not in the wrong here as far as the state's concerned..