Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigGibbo

How Was Your Day?

Bit of a shit day today. Had to go visit my dad, who I have nothing to do with and have barely seen in 15 years. My sister still sees him, but she lives 100 miles away and has just had a baby so can't get down too easy. Anyway he had a fall at home yesterday (he's 72 so not young), police had to break in etc. He didn't go hospital, but it basically seems he's not very active so isn't eating, and with him bring diabetic it's making him ill, and from the way he's speaking I'm sure he's had a stroke. My sister had come down yesterday but wanted me to go check on him today to ease her worries, so I've gone for her not for him, but it was still a difficult experience because, well, I don't want anything to do with him.

Bit of a shit day today. Had to go visit my dad, who I have nothing to do with and have barely seen in 15 years. My sister still sees him, but she lives 100 miles away and has just had a baby so can't get down too easy. Anyway he had a fall at home yesterday (he's 72 so not young), police had to break in etc. He didn't go hospital, but it basically seems he's not very active so isn't eating, and with him bring diabetic it's making him ill, and from the way he's speaking I'm sure he's had a stroke. My sister had come down yesterday but wanted me to go check on him today to ease her worries, so I've gone for her not for him, but it was still a difficult experience because, well, I don't want anything to do with him.

Sounds really hard so I wish you all the best. Is it anything you can forgive him for? 72 really is not that old these days, sounds like he could do with some support if not from family then from social services.

Sounds really hard so I wish you all the best. Is it anything you can forgive him for? 72 really is not that old these days, sounds like he could do with some support if not from family then from social services.

Depends which way you look at it, I mean my sister has forgiven him but I can't. He was violent with both us and my mum when we were kids. My sister is going to call social services I think, once he's been doctors today, because even if she was more local or I had a better relationship with him he still needs to either get help from his doc to get better or help from someone to make his life easier because we can't be there 24/7.

Sorry to hear that mate.

Was told id hear back from my interview within two weeks at most, and it's almost 3 now. Sent an email this morning just confirming when I can expect a response (as diplomatically as I could) and haven't had a reply yet. Frustrating as it's my only active application, and there are a few purchases I could do with making but holding off until I know I'll have a job when I graduate.

Other than that, basically got 4 weeks off at easter, which I should be spending pretty much exclusively on my dissertation. Day1 on the schedule, and really struggled to motivate myself at all. Half a page of a lit review and I gave up. Easter is not going to be fun...

Edited by Xen

Chatting away to someone on the phone when it just completely dies and shows the iTunes logo and USB cable... plug it in and iTunes doesn't recognise it :| Faffing about reinstalling it and get to the point where iTunes finally recognises my phone... but the backup is corrupted so it can only be restored to factory settings :angry::mad:

Edited by DB11

Had my technical interview this morning over the phone. Think it went well, should near back in the next two weeks.

The guy who interviewed me works for IBM down in Southampton, but apparently is from Birstall - literally 5 mins walk from where I grew up. Small world.

Passed my interview!!! :D:scarf:

It's a little bit strange though. They haven't made me an offer yet as they're evaluating their upcoming project demand and the roles that they need against my skill set, so I won't find out for definite until some as-yet-unspecified date what my actual job role will be. Bit odd as I applied for a specific role, but hey-ho, I'll take what I can get.

Nice to have something sorted before I graduate, now just to finish (/start) this dissertation, do a couple other assignments, and pass my hardest exams to-date. No biggie.

• Like 2

Passed my interview!!! :D:scarf:

It's a little bit strange though. They haven't made me an offer yet as they're evaluating their upcoming project demand and the roles that they need against my skill set, so I won't find out for definite until some as-yet-unspecified date what my actual job role will be. Bit odd as I applied for a specific role, but hey-ho, I'll take what I can get.

Nice to have something sorted before I graduate, now just to finish (/start) this dissertation, do a couple other assignments, and pass my hardest exams to-date. No biggie.

Congratulations!

Similarly I found out today I've got an interview next week for a recruitment role which is good news, will be happy if I can get something sorted before I graduate.

Excited but nervous at the same time, it's the first 'proper' job interview I'll have been to.

• Like 1

Cleaning a knife before sharpening it when ...   oops ....   can't be bothered with having a stitch so wrapped it up tight for the night.

Moral of the story don't go down the pub before sharpening knives.   And even though it got well used today it didn't need much bleedin sharpening anyway.   

Well, having real issues with anger management plus being afflicted today with a blocked ear canal don't really go well together.

Inevitably whilst trying to administer olive oil to said ear, whilst parked in a layby,  I somehow managed to drop the pipette into the bottle.

Retrieval was impossible, and before I knew it the bottle was flying accross the layby before shattering into a greasy mess on the tarmac.

I got my pipette back but felt a real twat afterward.

Was told id hear back from my interview within two weeks at most, and it's almost 3 now. Sent an email this morning just confirming when I can expect a response (as diplomatically as I could) and haven't had a reply yet. Frustrating as it's my only active application, and there are a few purchases I could do with making but holding off until I know I'll have a job when I graduate.

Other than that, basically got 4 weeks off at easter, which I should be spending pretty much exclusively on my dissertation. Day1 on the schedule, and really struggled to motivate myself at all. Half a page of a lit review and I gave up. Easter is not going to be fun...

What even is a lit review? Sure I have one due in for May but so confused on what it actually is. Feel free to PM me if it will take a lot of explaining. Would appreciate the help. Thanks :)

Guest Col city fan

Been up all night throwing up, food poisoning I think. I'm the worst person for vomiting too, actually feel like I'm going to choke. Maybe it's just this season catching up on me lol

Couple of shandys last night mate?

lol

What even is a lit review? Sure I have one due in for May but so confused on what it actually is. Feel free to PM me if it will take a lot of explaining. Would appreciate the help. Thanks :)

Not sure if it'll be the same for your subject (mine is maths and stats so this sort of thing is normally simplified for us), but for my case it just involves going through previous studies / articles etc. and briefly describing them and their results, and how they relate to my topic.

So in mine, my study is investigating the link between socioeconomic status and children's physical activity levels, so I'm summarising papers which have already found links between specific factors so I can justify including them in any model I produce.