Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigGibbo

How Was Your Day?

After that you will still be binned and not wanted. It suits them to do it though.

But if you do not have another job lined up you have no choice and it is better than JSA.

Your agenda is very tiresome.

• Like 1

Finished work at half 8 on Thursday. Went to Manchester on Friday with the missus got there late so stayed in hotel with wine and food.

Saturday went to Old Trafford and then shopping at Trafford Centre. Back home today. Good bank holiday weekend so far.

Forgot about the clocks going forward. Just realised it is later than I thought. Hour less drinking time.

I did that the other way round once. Didn't realise the clocks had gone back and turned up an hour early for a bar job. Landlord got me tidying the cellar for an hour.

Had a couple of days in Venice. It really is a stunning (and cheap) city if you get away from the crowds. It's crazy, I followed the mass of humanity 500 metres from the train station, turned north into Cannaregio and there was nobody. Wandered round the back streets as the mist lifted. All you could hear were church bells and shutters opening and closing. Until you got back to Piazza San Marco and the chaos manifested itself again.

Edited by bovril
  • Like 1

Went to Costco today for the first time earlier.

Was expecting it to be like Aldi - cheap and cheerful-type - but surprised by how much good-quality different stock types it had in at good value.

Shame that they don't have loyalty cards, and can only get membership cards if someone 'recommends' you.

Edited by Wymeswold fox

Had a couple of days in Venice. It really is a stunning (and cheap) city if you get away from the crowds. It's crazy, I followed the mass of humanity 500 metres from the train station, turned north into Cannaregio and there was nobody. Wandered round the back streets as the mist lifted. All you could hear were church bells and shutters opening and closing. Until you got back to Piazza San Marco and the chaos manifested itself again.

Just made an unexpected call there for the evening last week. Missed flights to Slovenia so had to fly to Venice etc. Amazing architecture and beautiful to look at but I just found it abrasive and claustrophobic anywhere near the centre. People shoving roses at you, trying to get you to come into all the restaurants, all the shops selling the same tat. It felt rather soulless.

Are there better areas?

Just made an unexpected call there for the evening last week. Missed flights to Slovenia so had to fly to Venice etc. Amazing architecture and beautiful to look at but I just found it abrasive and claustrophobic anywhere near the centre. People shoving roses at you, trying to get you to come into all the restaurants, all the shops selling the same tat. It felt rather soulless.

Are there better areas?

Pretty much anywhere else outside of main tourist zones.  I thought there were plenty of streets to get lost in away from the crowds so I did not mind crowds too much when I ran into them. There is an island called Lido nearby, I have not been to there but I imagine it would be quieter outside of the film festival season.

I have seen lot worser in other cities, I pretty much hated Rome- it was so touristy, dirty and garish, their quieter streets are just slum-like. Colosseum, Pantheon and Roman Forum were amazing though. 

Edited by The Blur

Are there better areas?

Yes. Canareggio like I said is beautifully tranquil. Felt like I had the place to myself yesterday. Fondamenta San Girolamo and the back streets around were perfect for a morning stroll, little local cafes selling great coffee for a euro, enotecas with excellent wine and fish. There are some stunning churches and interesting museums and galleries to keep you occupied.

Castello further east is similarly quite quiet. Giudecca, away from the mainland is rather atmospheric and has some traditional fish restaurants. Torcello island is still almost untouched in parts, has a 7th century Byzantine style cathedral.

You need to research and work hard to find quieter places but it's worth it. When it's peaceful it's really one of the more beautiful places on the planet. It's mad how everyone just follows the same 2 or 3 streets. Same in Istanbul, you step on one street away from the throng and it's like a different city.

Went to Costco today for the first time earlier.

Was expecting it to be like Aldi - cheap and cheerful-type - but surprised by how much good-quality different stock types it had in at good value.

Shame that they don't have loyalty cards, and can only get membership cards if someone 'recommends' you.

You can pig out on the free samples too.

Are there better areas?

Just stay away from the midgets in red coats.

Went to Ikea today. Ignored my own advice that Ikea on a bank holiday would be hell.

Subsequently became the angriest person on the planet. So angry I made Kitchandro sound like La-La out of the Teletubbies.

This probably came to a head when I had to do the thing where you bring the car round to the warehouse exit bit where you load up your heavy items. As I went to reverse into the loading bay, some chump pulled up behind me. I gave him a blast of the horn and bellowed at him: "what the **** are you doing, you f**cking thick twat?" (or something very similar) at the top of my voice. The problem is, my window was fully open, meaning the two or three dozen people waiting in the loading area got an earful of obscenities. 

Apologies to anybody there, I'm genuinely a little bit ashamed of my vibe-crushing rage and foul mouth. Kiddies and all that too. Sorry. 

The bloke deserved it but the bystanders didn't. This was not even the pinnacle of my rage, it just happened to be when I had the car windows open. My poor wife.

Genuinely need to go an anger management course.

On the plus side, we did get the bits we wanted.

Yes. Canareggio like I said is beautifully tranquil. Felt like I had the place to myself yesterday. Fondamenta San Girolamo and the back streets around were perfect for a morning stroll, little local cafes selling great coffee for a euro, enotecas with excellent wine and fish. There are some stunning churches and interesting museums and galleries to keep you occupied.

Castello further east is similarly quite quiet. Giudecca, away from the mainland is rather atmospheric and has some traditional fish restaurants. Torcello island is still almost untouched in parts, has a 7th century Byzantine style cathedral.

You need to research and work hard to find quieter places but it's worth it. When it's peaceful it's really one of the more beautiful places on the planet. It's mad how everyone just follows the same 2 or 3 streets. Same in Istanbul, you step on one street away from the throng and it's like a different city.

Yeah, I did feel like the short amount of time we spent there on short notice and the lack of research could have been a factor. Don't think we'll be rushing back there but maybe one day.

On the other hand Ljubljana and Lake Bled were incredible, definitely heading back before the end of the year.

Went to a leaving do for someone who works at the Kings head last night. It was held at the Western. He is going back to Cannock.

He is going to manage another pub/restaurant. He said he was homesick but I think it has something to do with his team being bottom of the PL and City being top.. Although TBF he is pleased for us.

Bit of a shit day today. Had to go visit my dad, who I have nothing to do with and have barely seen in 15 years. My sister still sees him, but she lives 100 miles away and has just had a baby so can't get down too easy. Anyway he had a fall at home yesterday (he's 72 so not young), police had to break in etc. He didn't go hospital, but it basically seems he's not very active so isn't eating, and with him bring diabetic it's making him ill, and from the way he's speaking I'm sure he's had a stroke. My sister had come down yesterday but wanted me to go check on him today to ease her worries, so I've gone for her not for him, but it was still a difficult experience because, well, I don't want anything to do with him.

Shit start to the day going back to this. The carers found him dead this morning. I feel a weird mix of emotions, I didn't have anything to do with him, but he's still my dad.

After the fall last week he had carers coming twice a day, cooking and cleaning him up and basically doing the basics. I went round Saturday with the brother in law to tidy up for him and make the house less hazardous, he was ill but not close to death.

Shit start to the day going back to this. The carers found him dead this morning. I feel a weird mix of emotions, I didn't have anything to do with him, but he's still my dad.

After the fall last week he had carers coming twice a day, cooking and cleaning him up and basically doing the basics. I went round Saturday with the brother in law to tidy up for him and make the house less hazardous, he was ill but not close to death.

That's awful.

Feel for you, mate.