Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigGibbo

How Was Your Day?

Joined a new squash club halfway through my 68th year and enjoyed my first ever visit to Lichfield city centre which I felt a bit guilty about given that it's quite a touristy place and well worth a weekend's trip.

Haha - the brief visit to writer and philosopher Dr Johnson's house was a mistake though.

It got my wife complaining that I've got two books of my own close to being finished.

You might think I'd be inspired, but reading Johnson's quotes, he sounded quite frustrated trying to earn a living from his literary and associated skills, and much happier entertaining friends with his anecdotes and successive bowls of punch.

I was interested to read of a Leicestershire connection though.

Apparently he spent a few months teaching in Market Bosworth and was said to have hated it.

His own efforts to run a school failed too.

He and his wife's brief business enterprise attracted a mere three pupils for all that one of those pupils was the later-to-be-legendary actor, playwright and theatre manager David Garrick. The two continued to be great friends long after the school closed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Johnson

Edited by Thracian

Got the same symptoms myself apart from the hot sweats. I'm coming out of the blocked nose now, still struggling to taste but shouldn't be for too long hopefully.

Hopefully your symptoms clear soon too mate...

Cheers la. Been for a few beers tonight that will have sorted it for sure!

Await my post tomorrow 8am and I've just died

Well, they're almost identical genetically but yes, I doubt it'll have much of an impact on poaching.

It will just make 'real' rhino horn more sought after and more expensive.

The fake stuff is indistinguishable apparently. Will be a real boon for the industry. Also, I think they should allow trade, so that farmers can rear animals for horns, which will reduce the price.

But living in Southern Africa I am biased!

I think they should allow trade, so that farmers can rear animals for horns, which will reduce the price

You're kidding right?

It's a bit like saying "we should mass breed humans, because baby finger bones have healing qualities"

The fact that you are happy to have an animal mutilated, but then NOT killed, for some made up ancient bullshit remedies, baffles me.

You're kidding right?

It's a bit like saying "we should mass breed humans, because baby finger bones have healing qualities"

The fact that you are happy to have an animal mutilated, but then NOT killed, for some made up ancient bullshit remedies, baffles me.

You know they can cut the horn off and it grows back right?

And no, not kidding. I don't care that people use it for. Not my concern. The issue is they are decimating the wild populations on a land mass that is absolutely massive with rampant poverty. Legalise the trade, remove the need to poach.

Quick questions are you a vegan? Ever been to Africa, seen wild animals and people living in poverty?

Edited by Merging Cultures

The temp guy just said to another guy 'you heard about the 80 people killed in France?' with a smile on his face

Could be a nervous smile? I sometimes smile/laugh when I'm nervous doesn't mean I find it funny.

You sound like you've got a bit of a infatuation with this guy whereby anything he does you turn it into a negative. You know like when someone you really don't like does anything you find a way for it to annoy you? Yeah that sort of situation

• Like 1

Could be a nervous smile? I sometimes smile/laugh when I'm nervous doesn't mean I find it funny.

You sound like you've got a bit of a infatuation with this guy whereby anything he does you turn it into a negative. You know like when someone you really don't like does anything you find a way for it to annoy you? Yeah that sort of situation

I don't not like him though lol. He's a really nice person and a great member of our team. Its just some things he does which I find odd, that's all.

I don't not like him though lol. He's a really nice person and a great member of our team. Its just some things he does which I find odd, that's all.

I'm sure he'd find it odd that you're posting about him on a football forum.

I'm sure he'd find it odd that you're posting about him on a football forum.

Can't believe someone tried talking to their colleague in an office of all places. Thoughts and prayers of all of foxestalk are with you, Stan.

You know they can cut the horn off and it grows back right?

And no, not kidding. I don't care that people use it for. Not my concern. The issue is they are decimating the wild populations on a land mass that is absolutely massive with rampant poverty. Legalise the trade, remove the need to poach.

Quick questions are you a vegan? Ever been to Africa, seen wild animals and people living in poverty?

No I'm not a vegan, far from it, and no I haven't been lucky enough to go to Africa.

I maybe misinterpreted what you meant in your post, without really knowing enough about the subject, so I did abit of research.

Do you think it would really reduce poaching? And reduce the price? You surely would have to really go for it rearing wise to produce enough of the stuff to reduce the price enough to make it not worthwhile for the poachers.

I read that poachers tend to kill the rhino so that they don't get mistaken and track the same rhino again the next time, and that they also cut more of the horn away than say a 'horn farmer' would, which then in turn prevents/seriously slows the regrowth process.

Do you not think that the poachers would still hunt and kill the rhinos until there are none left, especially because they would need more ivory if the price plummeted?

Apologies if I came across as a dickhead MC. On the face of what you said though, without thinking and researching it seemed pretty cruel.

No I'm not a vegan, far from it, and no I haven't been lucky enough to go to Africa.

I maybe misinterpreted what you meant in your post, without really knowing enough about the subject, so I did abit of research.

Do you think it would really reduce poaching? And reduce the price? You surely would have to really go for it rearing wise to produce enough of the stuff to reduce the price enough to make it not worthwhile for the poachers.

I read that poachers tend to kill the rhino so that they don't get mistaken and track the same rhino again the next time, and that they also cut more of the horn away than say a 'horn farmer' would, which then in turn prevents/seriously slows the regrowth process.

Do you not think that the poachers would still hunt and kill the rhinos until there are none left, especially because they would need more ivory if the price plummeted?

Apologies if I came across as a dickhead MC. On the face of what you said though, without thinking and researching it seemed pretty cruel.

No problem my response was quite terse, sorry about that.

Firstly, as meat eaters and animal byproduct users, I don't think either of us can object too much to farming animals for various uses. It's always when they are 'rare' or 'cute' that people seem to object to 'farming'. Which is weird because it usually means more of the animals get produced.

Anyway, I do think that farming animals commercial would lead to advancements in reproduction of Rhinos. I think sustainably harvesting horn and selling it on the regular market will satisfy some of the demand and reduce some of the poaching, especially by reducing the cost.

I don't think poachers will scale up to make up loss of revenue. Partly because tax revenues could and should be put back in to further improve conservation of wild animals.

With the fake horn and farmed horn, poaching will not be viable any more. So there will be further need for livelihood development. Which is good for me as that's what I do :)

It may be a bit optimistic, but the present system isn't working, and so we do need to change. A well regulated market, similar to the diamond industry, is the best way forward IMO.

• Like 1

No problem my response was quite terse, sorry about that.

Firstly, as meat eaters and animal byproduct users, I don't think either of us can object too much to farming animals for various uses. It's always when they are 'rare' or 'cute' that people seem to object to 'farming'. Which is weird because it usually means more of the animals get produced.

Anyway, I do think that farming animals commercial would lead to advancements in reproduction of Rhinos. I think sustainably harvesting horn and selling it on the regular market will satisfy some of the demand and reduce some of the poaching, especially by reducing the cost.

I don't think poachers will scale up to make up loss of revenue. Partly because tax revenues could and should be put back in to further improve conservation of wild animals.

With the fake horn and farmed horn, poaching will not be viable any more. So there will be further need for livelihood development. Which is good for me as that's what I do :)

It may be a bit optimistic, but the present system isn't working, and so we do need to change. A well regulated market, similar to the diamond industry, is the best way forward IMO.

Do you think the system you propose is a serious possibility?

Could you not say the same for other rare species across the world? I think farming Rhino could lead to the farming of all other rare animals, and unless regulated properly then we could end up with a shitload of animals with nothing to do with them.

Isn't that what happened with the dodo? Didn't they farm it for human consumption but then nobody wanted it, so people stopped farming it and it died out completely.

lol I know that's a pretty random example but hopefully you get what I'm trying to say.

You're kidding right?

Sadly the human kindness doesn't seem to be helping, if figures are to be believed.

Because despite years of restrictions on ivory sales it's now said that elephant and rhino could die out in 20 years because of ivory poaching.

Yet ever tighter legislation is driving the market underground, lifting prices and raising demand for tusks and horn putting the lives of free-range elephant and rhino at almost hopeless risk. 

http://www.scotsman.com/news/environment/elephants-and-rhinos-extinct-in-20-years-1-3562546

So if you want to save help those animals and strengthen their numbers, far better to have properly controlled farming programmes.

Programmes like that won't come cheap and you won't get people farming anything without a return and especially something as valuable and therefore as risky as those giants of the animal world. 

No it's not an comfortable choice. But the one way will probably work and the other likely won't. But I don't suppose anyone will want to see it that way.  

As for the mass breeding of humans. It's been done.

The Nazis even awarded bronze, silver and gold badges (the more kids the better the medal) to women who provided children for the Fatherland to build the Aryan race and  replace the numbers being slaughtered in the second world war.

http://snyderstreasures.com/pages/motherscross.htm

It's happening now in the Middle East where IS are breeding as fast as they can with wives and slaves to replace lost personnel.

So yes, life is cruel and unfair at times and humans have often been bred to serve a purpose or, in China's case until recently, they've not been bred beyond the barest minimum, for the specific purpose of not growing the population any faster.

PS: As someone absolutely committed to the survival of different  species I'll be more than happy if someone can convince me  there's a better way to save elephant and rhino than what I've said.     

Edited by Thracian

Guest Col city fan

Meh

Driving over to the East Coast on a week's hols and rather than listening to my scintillating convo, Mrs Col kept shouting out she could see Pokemons jumping from the bushes! Ridiculous....