Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigGibbo

How Was Your Day?

Played golf with an Iraq veteran - totally inspiring Scotsman who made every experience of my own life feel as nothing.

A super guy who will never fully recover from what piss-take politicians put him through.

Next time Blair wants to start a war on false pretences he should take his place on the front line with his men.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning - he'd sure learn to stand by their side and never accept them being put on trial for reactions prompted by the anger and frustration of the moment.       

Edited by Thracian
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Yastafox said:

Starting the long process of buying our first house. Got some viewings lined up for tomorrow. Got a mid size deposit saved up but all these mortgages and house schemes really confuse me. Any advice?

It might be too late for you now but have you looked into those first time buyer ISAs? The Govt give you a chunk of money towards your deposit.

11 hours ago, Unabomber said:

arrange a meeting with an independent mortgage advisor, not through an estate agent and make sure he has no ties to a particular lender. He will give you a comprehensive list of all the available mortgages and what is best for you. 

Go to two but don't tell them you have done that ....    Compare the deals then ask each about what the other has recommended.   "Someone told me that this one is a good deal ...   What do you think?" ....   Trust your instincts. 

Herniated another disc in my back last month so had a steroid injection at the bottom of my spine yesterday. Everything feels a bit uncomfortable at the moment but hoping to see some improvement over the next week.

Back and leg pain/sciatica in your 20's can **** off.

5 minutes ago, theessexfox said:

Got back today from 2 weeks in Kenya, absolutely life-changing experience and very eye-opening and humbling to really visit and interact with people in a third world nation. 

Glad you enjoyed it. Where did you go? What did you do?

Karibu tena (roughly: you're welcome to come back)!

3 minutes ago, Merging Cultures said:

Glad you enjoyed it. Where did you go? What did you do?

Karibu tena (roughly: you're welcome to come back)!

Haha thank you, I picked up Jambo and Karibu and some of the local dialect around where I was teaching.

Our school is connected with Hand in Hand, a charity that has a few projects in Kenya amongst other places, and every year we run this trip, I was one of the lucky twelve sixth-formers to go.

We stayed at an orphanage in Uplands near Nairobi for three days, the welcome was just ridiculously warm and we played and sang and just interacted with these kids for a couple of days, it was incredibly emotion-stirring and heartwarming to bond with the kids so strongly and leaving was very hard. We almost forgot that these kids were orphans and had horrible back stories because of how happy, cheeky and seemingly normal they were, which is a testament to the unbelievable range and depth of work the orphanage does. On our last night one of the ladies who works there told us the story of some of the children with whom we'd bonded, which was incredibly harrowing and sad, but at the same time uplifting to see that the money we and other bodies raise can have such an impact in transforming the lives of children who had nothing. We also went into the community and saw the 'Grandmothers Village' which the orphanage had sponsored to secure land and a sense of stability for the grandmothers who had so much responsibility looking after their grandchildren in the absence of parents.

We then went and stayed in Kericho, we drove an hour or so every day to a school with which we are twinned, some of our fundraising has paid for school fees, some university fees but also buildings and equipment in the school. Our main job there was to teach some lessons and just to introduce a different, more interactive and engaging way of teaching to the kids given they mainly learn by copying notes off the blackboard. That was a difficult challenge as their culture at school makes the kids so reluctant to interact in the classroom, breaking down those barriers took some effort but we like to think they had fun and we broadened their mindsets and experiences a bit. The relationships we formed were much more formal given they were in a school environment not their home environment, but we still had lots of chats with the kids, playing with the little ones and a tight Kenya v England football match on a horrendous pitch.

We found time to visit the Rift Valley, do some bartering at the stalls they have there, visit a vocational centre which we've helped sponsor and also go on a safari. The whole experience has totally changed my perspective; we give money to charity in England but we rarely see where the money goes, this has shown me how vital this fundraising is to many lives and what a positive impact charity can have. It has also shown me that so much more is to be done, there are children on the streets who the orphanage haven't reached, who are sniffing glue and begging and selling, and it makes you think how much impact I could have on their lives if I divert my priorities. I no longer want to settle for a comfortable job which enables me and my future family to happily bob along in an inward looking, closed-minded bubble - I genuinely want to get into a line of work and to dedicate my life to helping people in worse-off places. I'm totally inspired by the lady who founded and still runs the orphanage, who gave up a comfortable banker's job to spend her entire life caring for others - feeding them, clothing them, sending them to school, housing them, etc. 

• Like 4

Guest Col city fan

Me and the Mrs are knackered. Got up yesterday am at 6, drove  to Chapel St Leonards, and spent all day kitting out our new caravan. It was worth it though. Got up this morning and just walked through the dunes to see the sea. Lovely.

Not here next weekend...London and Wembley call..

Stayed up till 1am last night and got in the first half of the game. My son decides to wake me up at 7 something. He climbs on top of me and says "daddy meow gunna poo on you". Thinks he is a cat.

Yesterday he had a splinter in his finger that my wife took out. After he had cried himself to no end and the splinter was out he says "the meow hurt its paw" lol.

Kids say the darndest things. 

Thankfully the meow never shat on me.

Not long back from watching a recording of the City game at the Kings Head. Disappointed with the result but hard to judge fairly with the changes that were made. Glad I never got up at 4.30am to watch it live though.

I avoided FB Twitter and FT so not to know the result. Oh well back to Emporea for a few hours now.

Guest CityFan 06

Dentist tomorrow at 10am, nervous :(. As part of the appointment (check-up) the dentist is likely to take out my tooth there and then, but it does depends on how busy the practice is... More looking forward to when it's over with and the relief afterwards.

On 25 July 2016 at 21:51, LeiFosse 06 said:

August 2nd I've got the dentist - not keen at all and I've got to have a tooth taken out. Luckily I've never had any teeth issues in my time of going but what's the anesthetic injection like? What have you got to do straight afterwards and can you eat/drink? I've done research but wondered if anyone has had any personal experiences...

28 minutes ago, LeiFosse 06 said:

Dentist tomorrow at 10am, nervous :(. As part of the appointment (check-up) the dentist is likely to take out my tooth there and then, but it does depends on how busy the practice is... More looking forward to when it's over with and the relief afterwards.

Don't worry mate, it's not tomorrow, it's Tuesday. :thumbup:

• Like 1

Guest CityFan 06
2 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Don't worry mate, it's not tomorrow, it's Tuesday. :thumbup:

No sorry I meant to say - it's August 1st (tomorrow) I've got my appointment, not August 2nd, having checked my calendar. 

Guest Mee-9
35 minutes ago, LeiFosse 06 said:

If you have the experience I had about 10 days ago, expect to pass out and then display symptoms of sepsis in the evening when you have a dodgy reaction to the anaesthetic. 

3 minutes ago, Mee-9 said:

If you have the experience I had about 10 days ago, expect to pass out and then display symptoms of sepsis in the evening when you have a dodgy reaction to the anaesthetic. 

Good way to ease his worries! :crylaugh:

Guest Mee-9
1 minute ago, Facecloth said:

Good way to ease his worries! :crylaugh:

You should have seen the size of the needle. It was the size of a large cucumber, oh the pain.

Plus he did it with the door open, so the whole waiting room could see me dying. 

Edited by Mee-9

2 hours ago, LeiFosse 06 said:

the more you fear it, the more it will hurt.

Just have trust and faith that the dentist you're going to has done the same procedure hundreds of times before most likely and wouldn't be sitting in the chair next to you when you're in your chair if he wasn't trusted to do the procedure :thumbup:

Guest CityFan 06
10 minutes ago, StanSP said:

the more you fear it, the more it will hurt.

Just have trust and faith that the dentist you're going to has done the same procedure hundreds of times before most likely and wouldn't be sitting in the chair next to you when you're in your chair if he wasn't trusted to do the procedure :thumbup:

Yeah, thanks StanSP. I keep trying to think that over the hours I've been worrying about it, it would of been over in that time easily anyway. 

Hopefully it all goes well, and all over within the morning if he can fit me in.