Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigGibbo

How Was Your Day?

if my best mate did that i'd just give him a kidney dig and make him buy me a pint. although tbf if he was my best mate i'd have fully believed his original story.

he doesn't sound like a very good mate to have a) stolen from you and lied about it, b) you to have not believed his lie & c) neither of you tried to carry on being best mates. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, z-layrex said:

A bit heartbreaking.

I went on a stag-do 2 weeks ago, canal boats to Bath, was amazingly good fun. I was sharing one of the boats with 5 close friends. On the day we traveled home I woke up and couldn't find my expensive RayBans my gf had given to me. They were sentimental to me more than the cost. A close friend of 11 years had left that morning to Bristol to go on holiday with his gf and her rich parents on their boat but I could never have imagined they were with him. I called him to ask if they were in his bag my mistake, he said no. He even called me a few times over the week to ask if they turned up yet.

I just assumed someone must have stolen them somehow. Then I see a family photo of him wearing the exact same pair. When I challenged him he said his gf's granddad had lent them to him. When I asked for the number of the grandparents to confirm this he gives me the grandmothers mobile. Something smells fishy, so I emailed her father's crab fishing company for a direct number to the grandad, of course they won't give it.

So I looked up the name of their startup company from 10 years ago as it was listed in their history bio. I managed to find phone numbers for most of the family on a cache for an old seasfood-trade directory. I started calling numbers and those that answered verified his story but all sounded very shaky and unsure. Bad liars. Her grandmother even shouted at me saying how could I accuse someone like this.

He eventually snaps and begs me to stop calling his gf's family and admits to it. I cannot believe it. His gf has now told him she wants a break too to think about things.

I feel a bit awful and victorious at the same time. Getting them back tonight apparently.

Best friends for over a decade. Shit.

He obviously thought he would get away with this, makes you wonder what else has he done in the past. A similar thing happened to me before and I gave the guy in question the benefit of doubt, huge mistake. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Len Finsbury said:

**** me. All this over a pair of sunglasses!

God help anyone that uses your vagina cream without permission!

Its not the sunglasses though is it?  It is the betrayal of a friend, with no apparent attempt to own up, explain or make amends.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Its not the sunglasses though is it?  It is the betrayal of a friend, with no apparent attempt to own up, explain or make amends.

Surely if we as good a friend as he states, he'd have taken his word for it rather than go all Liam Neeson from Taken on him?

It was all about the sunglasses

Just now, Len Finsbury said:

Surely if we as good a friend as he states, he'd have taken his word for it rather than go all Liam Neeson from Taken on him?

It was all about the sunglasses

To be fair, sunglasses next to your mate, then sunglasses gone, then mate wearing sunglasses the following few days in a picture, you would ask the question, and if the answer wasn't credible, then why not?

Just now, Jon the Hat said:

To be fair, sunglasses next to your mate, then sunglasses gone, then mate wearing sunglasses the following few days in a picture, you would ask the question, and if the answer wasn't credible, then why not?

the answer was pretty credible though. 

"arent they them sunglasses i lost when i last saw you mate?" 

"nah think there's probably more than one pair of them in the world, these were mine"

"haha yeah fair enough man see you for a pint tomorrow!"

yeh we all get that he stole them, the point some of us are making is it's a bit weird that "best mates for a decade" would go through very tenuous family and friend's business links to contact random people to try and verify a fully believable and not exactly particularly important story their best mate told them. 

if you're that suspicious of you "best mate" you're weird, or they aren't your best mate. 

• Like 2

yeah which is the point i was making. he's not (or you're not) much of a best mate if you've got in the back of your mind that he is a thieving, manipulative, lying cu nt, surely? if it was my best mate i probably wouldn't even question it, let alone question it, be told i was wrong, not take his word for it and then spend a few days investigating it. 

obviously turned out to be right about his suspicions but just seems weird that anyone would think and act like that about someone they're that close to. 

How has z-layrex become the bad guy? lol 

6 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

obviously turned out to be right about his suspicions but just seems weird that anyone would think and act like that about someone they're that close to. 

Not as weird as stealing off your best mate

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

How has z-layrex become the bad guy? lol 

Not as weird as stealing off your best mate

yeah fair enough. 

not saying he's in the wrong at all, just commenting that it probably won't be a massive loss as a mate if he is a cu nt and zlayrex always "subconsciously" assumed he was a big enough cu nt to do it.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, filbertway said:

When I saw heartbreaking and stag do I feared the worst. Little did I know I'd be reading Taken 5.

haha innit, when i read heartbreaking, stag do and boats i just assumed the groom had drowned. this story is much more dramatic though. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, ScouseFox said:

if my best mate did that i'd just give him a kidney dig and make him buy me a pint. although tbf if he was my best mate i'd have fully believed his original story.

he doesn't sound like a very good mate to have a) stolen from you and lied about it, b) you to have not believed his lie & c) neither of you tried to carry on being best mates. 

A very good point dude.

7 hours ago, ScouseFox said:

yeah which is the point i was making. he's not (or you're not) much of a best mate if you've got in the back of your mind that he is a thieving, manipulative, lying cu nt, surely? if it was my best mate i probably wouldn't even question it, let alone question it, be told i was wrong, not take his word for it and then spend a few days investigating it. 

When he was younger he was a chronic liar. It was really weird, he was a very nice guy, but would just lie about weird things like illnesses in the family or promotions at work. He also stole an unopened bottle of whiskey at a house party during our uni years and I would now expect there are many things I just don't know about. I guess I had hoped he had just grown out of it. We all thought he had.

And you are right, I subconsciously knew it was him or how else would they go missing the morning he left.

Edited by z-layrex

9 hours ago, Len Finsbury said:

**** me. All this over a pair of sunglasses!

God help anyone that uses your vagina cream without permission!

It's not the sunglasses it's the betrayal.

To summarise, I knew he had issues with lying and even theft in the past, but for some stupid reason I still liked him for the guy he was despite this, and ignorantly thought he couldn't do it to a good mate.

Life I suppose.

Edited by z-layrex

Guest Mee-9

You should go on Jeremy Kyle.

Get those bloody sunglasses back, out your 'mate' as a nobhead infront of millions and get a free day out in Manchester.

Guest Col city fan

Good day yesterday. Bought a new car

Insignia 1.6 Diesel 15 plate.

Plays all mi tracks via Bluetooth n that...

'On star' sounds as though it's gonna be a super addition too.

20 hours ago, ScouseFox said:

yeh we all get that he stole them, the point some of us are making is it's a bit weird that "best mates for a decade" would go through very tenuous family and friend's business links to contact random people to try and verify a fully believable and not exactly particularly important story their best mate told them. 

if you're that suspicious of you "best mate" you're weird, or they aren't your best mate. 

Incredible Scouse lol

Bloke is a victim of crime and its a double kidney punch because his best mate took them and somehow you manage to turn it all around to make him look like the bad guy in all this - wow.

@z-layrex This fella did something wrong in a moment - maybe he is a bit jealous of you? But because of when and where he took them from, he couldn't go back and apologise or say that he picked them up off a bar and meant to give them back to you.... blah blah - so he concocted a weak story the really backfired on him. Take him out for a pint or giving a ring and try talking to him about it in a few days - by then I guess you'll know if he wants to save the friendship or not and if he's got the guts to be honest about his motives and decision making, once you've heard him out and if you think he's been honest you can make a judgement on what part he plays in your life moving forward.