Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigGibbo

How Was Your Day?

Ermmm a bit weird actually. My Dad just turned up clutching an envelope containing some info hes just received in the post from a Charity that was in charge of the Childrens home he was in the care of when he was a baby (long story) basically weve never known who his parents were or anything - none of his side of the family at all. He tried to track them down when he was 15 but was told all records were destroyed in the war (blatent lie apparently)

He wrote off to this charity a few months ago just to see and got back a load of info about his Mother, Father (sadly only his first name and occupation) and Grandparents etc and he apparently had 6 Aunts and an Uncle who is barely older than he is.

Addresses were listed and just had a look at the address he was born at (the family home) and its still there, seen a photo on Streetview which for some strange reason made us both cry. Its all a bit surreal but we now have lots of names and addresses and ages and can start tracing his family back and maybe find some surviving relatives.

Its all been such a massive family mystery for so long (my Dads in his 70's) its such a strange feeling knowing just a little bit about his background - theres lots of stuff in there explaining why she gave him up and that no one knew he existed barring his Grandparents.

Anyway the long shot of it is, having thought he was East End born we now know he was born in Ilford which makes me half Essex girl ( not happy about that!!)

Also my Dad has very olivy coloured skin so we always had a bit of a family joke about his Dad being some rich Arab which appears not to be the case unless there was any rich Arabs called Frederick lol

Going to go to the Central Records office as soon as we can and find out more. Exciting times

Sorry to bore you all, just a big thing for me and mine!

It's not boring, it's really interesting! I have done a little research into my family, having a spare few hours last week, and a couple of hours research gave me a lot of info about some of my rellies.

This site is great when you're just starting. I found out my grandmother's parents, as a starting point. Census records are also good; it's still work in progress so may not have all the info that you are looking for. The subscriber websites will have scans of the original census documents; it took me ages to work out that my great-great-grandmother was born in Irthlingborough!

It's not boring, it's really interesting! I have done a little research into my family, having a spare few hours last week, and a couple of hours research gave me a lot of info about some of my rellies.

This site is great when you're just starting. I found out my grandmother's parents, as a starting point. Census records are also good; it's still work in progress so may not have all the info that you are looking for. The subscriber websites will have scans of the original census documents; it took me ages to work out that my great-great-grandmother was born in Irthlingborough!

My dads done the family tree tracing every so often for some time now. Its absolutley huge. and covers a few hundred years I think

My dads done the family tree tracing every so often for some time now. Its absolutley huge. and covers a few hundred years I think

I find it fascinating. I love the census records, as you find out addresses and occupations. One of my great-great-great-grandmothers was a dressmaker in Kensington. Did a bit of Googling, and apparently they were highly paid, and top dressmakers earned good money, and had good lodgings thrown in. The census showed that she was a lodger, but she had a whole property to herself, and her kids. It also said that her husband deserted her! :o

Spent three and a half hours of my day getting from Leicester back to Eastbourne.

After having the week off inbetween semesters literally everybody is still at home (I had to come back for bloody work). So here I am in my flat, resigned to spending my Friday night in solitary confinement.

Will probably end up watching Shooter in a bit...

Ermmm a bit weird actually. My Dad just turned up clutching an envelope containing some info hes just received in the post from a Charity that was in charge of the Childrens home he was in the care of when he was a baby (long story) basically weve never known who his parents were or anything - none of his side of the family at all. He tried to track them down when he was 15 but was told all records were destroyed in the war (blatent lie apparently)

He wrote off to this charity a few months ago just to see and got back a load of info about his Mother, Father (sadly only his first name and occupation) and Grandparents etc and he apparently had 6 Aunts and an Uncle who is barely older than he is.

Addresses were listed and just had a look at the address he was born at (the family home) and its still there, seen a photo on Streetview which for some strange reason made us both cry. Its all a bit surreal but we now have lots of names and addresses and ages and can start tracing his family back and maybe find some surviving relatives.

Its all been such a massive family mystery for so long (my Dads in his 70's) its such a strange feeling knowing just a little bit about his background - theres lots of stuff in there explaining why she gave him up and that no one knew he existed barring his Grandparents.

Anyway the long shot of it is, having thought he was East End born we now know he was born in Ilford which makes me half Essex girl ( not happy about that!!)

Also my Dad has very olivy coloured skin so we always had a bit of a family joke about his Dad being some rich Arab which appears not to be the case unless there was any rich Arabs called Frederick lol

Going to go to the Central Records office as soon as we can and find out more. Exciting times

Sorry to bore you all, just a big thing for me and mine!

I found out my mum was adopted as a baby a few years ago, seems she was given up for adoption at birth as obviously way back when being a single mother was often frowned upon.

It's strange that you spend 30years and have no idea of your actual roots my mum only told me when my Gran started to go a bit crazy and started mentioning things.

My Mum has never bothered to try and trace her birth parents it must be a difficult thing to do and the longer it's left the harder it must get. I have looked back at my late fathers side and traced it back to about 1800 which is actually pretty interesting stuff but the thought that I have no idea about my mums birth family is very strange. I would like to look into it more and find out my roots but it's not my decision or choice

Good look with what you find.

Oh as for the Frederick thing from watching Who do you think you are many immigrants often took English names as a way of being more accepted into society, Frederick has many different connotations so it doesn't mean anything, could have been changed from a German or Italian version and anglicized see about half way down the page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglicisation..._personal_names

I find it fascinating. I love the census records, as you find out addresses and occupations. One of my great-great-great-grandmothers was a dressmaker in Kensington. Did a bit of Googling, and apparently they were highly paid, and top dressmakers earned good money, and had good lodgings thrown in. The census showed that she was a lodger, but she had a whole property to herself, and her kids. It also said that her husband deserted her! :o

Its pretty good, some of the detail you can get into concerning relatives a long way back.

I found out my mum was adopted as a baby a few years ago, seems she was given up for adoption at birth as obviously way back when being a single mother was often frowned upon.

It's strange that you spend 30years and have no idea of your actual roots my mum only told me when my Gran started to go a bit crazy and started mentioning things.

My Mum has never bothered to try and trace her birth parents it must be a difficult thing to do and the longer it's left the harder it must get. I have looked back at my late fathers side and traced it back to about 1800 which is actually pretty interesting stuff but the thought that I have no idea about my mums birth family is very strange. I would like to look into it more and find out my roots but it's not my decision or choice

Oh as for the Frederick thing from watching Who do you think you are many immigrants often took English names as a way of being more accepted into society, Frederick has many different connotations so it doesn't mean anything, could have been changed from a German or Italian version and anglicized see about half way down the page.

My gran and her ex-husband adopted a girl born to a teen mum, and the authorities were apparently very keen on hiding all information about the natural mother. As far as my gran was concerned, it was a win win for all sides, and she told me she never kept it a secret from my aunt, but she was the exception. How times have changed.

Pretty good day and I've just topped it off by doin 7 naked press ups on me knuckles in front of the tele to impress the lady.

I think I'd of got juiced if I was a woman watchin that :thumbsup:

Sort of ruined the sexual atmosphere when I tried to do it one handed though.

lol You seen me, where at, I don't remember!?

Millwall. You and Mrs Empty were left stranded at the station after the game. I pointed you out to Kokopops and asked "that isn't El Empty", and I think you confirmed it on here shortly afterwards.

Millwall. You and Mrs Empty were left stranded at the station after the game. I pointed you out to Kokopops and asked "that isn't El Empty", and I think you confirmed it on here shortly afterwards.

Aye I remember it being mentioned now, didn't realise it was you though :D

Went into work for a meeting about 9.

One of my bosses, who I've really got alot of time for, who's had a few weeks off due to her sister passing away, was there, and looking well, so that's put me in a decent mood.

Got to go in for a shift later which could be make or break for me in terms of the near future with the female 'genre' which I'm shitting myself about though, risk versus reward and all that.

Didn't bore me at all!

Glad that it shows how persistence pays off, and especially for not giving up either :). Hope all goes well in future ventures for you and your dad!

Thanks Il give them a go!

Thats really interesting stuff, Thanks Jay. Like you say its so much more than just doing a family tree, this is my Dad finding out who he is! He knew nothing before apart from his Mums name. We were like you, just a blank on one side. All adoption paperwork is now available for relatives to get whereas years ago they didnt have to tell you anything.

Feels really strange already having all this information about how she ended up a single Mum and why she gave him up. Turns out she lived in a house with her parents and 5 sisters and 1 brother and only the parents knew shed given birth! They must have sent her away to have him, she met a new man and he didnt want the baby .... really sad. :(

Im going down to the records office in London to try and find her marriage certificate so we will know what her name became and try and trace any surviving relatives.

Im also thrilled to find that the house was a stones throw from Upton Park so the reason for my love for that ground is now clear lol

My Great Grandad was a Happy Hammer!!

Pretty brilliant.

Won postman pat, went on a pirate flyer, saw us win, had some fun in atmospheric pub. So much more but my minds gone blank. I bloody love Blackpool.

Love it!

Photos coming later!

Epic weekend from my point of view. Brilliant win, lots of laughs in the stand and then proposed to my girlfriend on the sea front at night and she happily accepted. :) 3 points, lots of stuffed toys and a fiancee - Blackpool just keeps on giving!!

Photos coming later!

Epic weekend from my point of view. Brilliant win, lots of laughs in the stand and then proposed to my girlfriend on the sea front at night and she happily accepted. :) 3 points, lots of stuffed toys and a fiancee - Blackpool just keeps on giving!!

aaahhh thats so lovely! Congrats again! :thumbup:

Photos coming later!

Cannot wait to see those! lol

I'm gonna put mine up now actually.

That's been an epic weekend just gone. Everything from getting up at 6.30 on Saturday to watch Partiridge episodes, to flares, to "Bring on the Sunderland and Arsenal" going on for ridiculously long, to atmosphere pub (until the jobsworth rozzers ruined it), to ultra carriage between Blackpool and Preston.

By far the most random occurrence of the weekend though would have to be us meeting a Preston/Rangers/Hamburg fan on the train back to Manchester. He ended up coming to the pub with us and then getting smashed with us round ARAB's flat. We headed out with him and were having a Pauli-Hamburg sing-off down Oxford Road, then all of a sudden we just, well, lost him! lol lol lol

Edited by A Fox in Essex

Productive but dull. :yawn: Have dusted, hoovered and cleaned the house, and done the most vast amount of washing up imaginable - and put it all away.

I want a cleaner. :(