Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigGibbo

How Was Your Day?

:cry: I ran over a cat. I feel awful but I know there was absolutely nothing I could have done. Only saw it out of the corner of my eye at the very last second as it dashed straight under the side of the car... wasn't even sure what I'd hit until I went back and checked, before moving it out of the road and onto the verge. :(

What you looking to study?

Graphic Design / Illustration mate.

This is the third all night I've had to pull to do work, just having a quick half hour or so break. Get the odd hours kip during the day.

Not resorted to energy drinks, yet, I'll not be surprised if I start pissing PG Tips soon though.

Edited by Michael The Work Geordie

Graphic Design / Illustration mate.

This is the third all night I've had to pull to do work, just having a quick half hour or so break. Get the odd hours kip during the day.

Not resorted to energy drinks, yet, I'll not be surprised if I start pissing PG Tips soon though.

Don't worry, you'll get used to them once your at uni.

Very common to do an all-nighter in architecture, on my course at least, and I imagine a similarly coursework based subject such as what you might be doing will be along the same lines.

How did your interviews go mate?

First one's in Liverpool on Friday man, don't reckon I'll be calm come then, though.

Don't worry, you'll get used to them once your at uni.

Very common to do an all-nighter in architecture, on my course at least, and I imagine a similarly coursework based subject such as what you might be doing will be along the same lines.

I was encouraged to do architecture by my Graphics teacher back in college, could never get into it, though. Loved coming up with ideas.

First one's in Liverpool on Friday man, don't reckon I'll be calm come then, though.

I was encouraged to do architecture by my Graphics teacher back in college, could never get into it, though. Loved coming up with ideas.

From my experience so far it's been really demanding, beyond what I ever would have imagined a degree would be if I'm honest. I knew long before my gcse's I wanted to do it but there are still things about the course which are a bore, although that's bound to be the same with anything. The numerous critical analysis sheets I did for A2 graphics -which I love- were a massive pain in the arse.

I've certainly grown into the subject though. I don't engross myself in architectural stuff as is often recommended but it's changed so much about the way I think.

At times it's overwhelming and it has got me genuinely down before but it is rewarding, so much more so than many academic subjects. Looking back at a big portfolio of work at the end of the year is a very nice feeling, one I think is much better than getting a first in an exam.

I'd reccomend it, but you have to be dedicated to it, if you could never really get into it I doubt it would've been for you.

Ah thought you had one on Tuesday. My bad.

Good luck anyway!

Cheers man, looking forward to it in a way.

[Architecture Speak]

Know the feeling about getting work done and looking back with satisfaction mate. Think any design related subject has it's share of times when work seems to pile up and it seems a bit unbearable, but once it's all done, it's a cracking feeling.

Only thing worrying me going into this interview is my portfolio to be honest(hence the all-nighters). What I have got, I'm more than pleased with, can't help but feel it's a bit thin on the ground, though. Got a good range of observational sketches, development and final pieces, mind. Did a foundation year at DMU three years ago now, and, in comparison to what I had back then, I'm a bit more confident, but I'd like to present a tonne of stuff purely for insurance.

Quality over quantity will hopefully be a winner.

Cheers man, looking forward to it in a way.

Know the feeling about getting work done and looking back with satisfaction mate. Think any design related subject has it's share of times when work seems to pile up and it seems a bit unbearable, but once it's all done, it's a cracking feeling.

Only thing worrying me going into this interview is my portfolio to be honest(hence the all-nighters). What I have got, I'm more than pleased with, can't help but feel it's a bit thin on the ground, though. Got a good range of observational sketches, development and final pieces, mind. Did a foundation year at DMU three years ago now, and, in comparison to what I had back then, I'm a bit more confident, but I'd like to present a tonne of stuff purely for insurance.

Quality over quantity will hopefully be a winner.

I shiver when I think of the portfolio I handed in for 2 of my uni applications, one was for Liverpool's school of architecture funnily enough.

I had no art experience at all and was pretty clueless as to what to put in and it was an absolute heap of shit, I'll bet they cringed when they got it. Fortunately got into an improving university based on academia and "the rest is history"

But yeah quality over quantity for sure, not that I'm telling you anything you don't know but they'll appreciate good work even if there's not so much.

Is your portfolio mostly graphics stuff then? How much did they set as a minimum or did it just say we want a portfolio..?

Edited by ajthefox

I shiver when I think of the portfolio I handed in for 2 of my uni applications, one was for Liverpool's school of architecture funnily enough.

I had no art experience at all and was pretty clueless to what to put in and it was an absolute heap of shit, I'll bet they cringed when they got it. Fortunately got into an improving university based on academia and "the rest is history"

But yeah quality of quantity for sure, not that I'm telling you anything you don't know but they'll appreciate good work even if there's not so much.

Is your portfolio mostly graphics stuff then? How much did they set as a minimum or did it just say we want a portfolio..?

Haha, I've got photos of the one I did back then, even though I've not been sketching / working solidly like I was for the best part of two years now my work has come on leaps and bounds.

It's mainly illustrations / canvases / sketchbooks. There isn't a minimum requirement, although Leeds Met have said they'd like me to limit my portfolio to 20 pieces of work, and include sketches, examples of development, etc. I've just taken that as a guidline. Got ten or so illustrations I'm really, really happy with, four canvases, a couple of sketch books, and a few sheets of life drawing. So all in all I've got about 15 'final pieces' as well as the jazz that comes with it.

They'll always base who they accept partly on how you come across in interview though, there'd be no point inviting you otherwise, I suppose. Come across as a dullard in comparison to someone who shows a fair wedge of enthusiasm and they'll never consider you.

You at Sheff Hallam?

Haha, I've got photos of the one I did back then, even though I've not been sketching / working solidly like I was for the best part of two years now my work has come on leaps and bounds.

It's mainly illustrations / canvases / sketchbooks. There isn't a minimum requirement, although Leeds Met have said they'd like me to limit my portfolio to 20 pieces of work, and include sketches, examples of development, etc. I've just taken that as a guidline. Got ten or so illustrations I'm really, really happy with, four canvases, a couple of sketch books, and a few sheets of life drawing. So all in all I've got about 15 'final pieces' as well as the jazz that comes with it.

They'll always base who they accept partly on how you come across in interview though, there'd be no point inviting you otherwise, I suppose. Come across as a dullard in comparison to someone who shows a fair wedge of enthusiasm and they'll never consider you.

You at Sheff Hallam?

Sounds quality. I've no idea about anything beyond graphic design and architecture but that kind of variation definitely shows strength.

I'm sure it'll all go a lot better than anything I ever did with down that road so good luck.

Yup. Not the best all round uni but the architecture department is pretty good, supposedly 8th in the table behind some big names.

Obviously they're to be taken with a pinch of salt, but it can only be good being up there above some real red bricks like Liverpool, Nottingham, Manchester etc

Sounds quality. I've no idea about anything beyond graphic design and architecture but that kind of variation definitely shows strength.

I'm sure it'll all go a lot better than anything I ever did with down that road so good luck.

Yup. Not the best all round uni but the architecture department is pretty good, supposedly 8th in the table behind some big names.

Obviously they're to be taken with a pinch of salt, but it can only be good being up there above some real red bricks like Liverpool, Nottingham, Manchester etc

It looks decent when it's all laid out in front of me, realise how strong it is as a collection of work. Unfortunately I'm my own worst critic, unless I'm really happy with something it'll more often than not find itself in the bin.

*Got an interview there but it's not until April 13th, heard nothing but good things about the place, really.

It looks decent when it's all laid out in front of me, realise how strong it is as a collection of work. Unfortunately I'm my own worst critic, unless I'm really happy with something it'll more often than not find itself in the bin.

*Got an interview there but it's not until April 13th, heard nothing but good things about the place, really.

I think we all are, we were told a few had failed at a certain deadline and one of my close mates was genuinely worried because of lack of quantity, turned out he got a strong B so was delighted. Just how we're programmed I spose.

Oh right cool. I love it here for what it's worth. A couple of my tutors are sometimes a little un-organised which can be frustrating but no generally I'm so pleased I'm here, especially when I only applied as a fall back and never even wanted to come here. Sheffield is a brilliant place to live as well. My train commute is only an hour for City as well :scarf:

Sounds quality. I've no idea about anything beyond graphic design and architecture but that kind of variation definitely shows strength.I'm sure it'll all go a lot better than anything I ever did with down that road so good luck.Yup. Not the best all round uni but the architecture department is pretty good, supposedly 8th in the table behind some big names.Obviously they're to be taken with a pinch of salt, but it can only be good being up there above some real red bricks like Liverpool, Nottingham, Manchester etc

It looks decent when it's all laid out in front of me, realise how strong it is as a collection of work. Unfortunately I'm my own worst critic, unless I'm really happy with something it'll more often than not find itself in the bin.*Got an interview there but it's not until April 13th, heard nothing but good things about the place, really.

What exactly is the architecture side of things? I am heading to college next year to study a BTEC in art and design, then i hope to do graphic design at uni, i was just wondering whether you could shed any more light on things?

Cheers :thumbup:

What exactly is the architecture side of things? I am heading to college next year to study a BTEC in art and design, then i hope to do graphic design at uni, i was just wondering whether you could shed any more light on things?

Cheers :thumbup:

Wouldn't know too much about architecture man, if you go on to study graphic design though, you'll more than likely be encouraged to work within your speciality (eg - illustration). You never know, you could end up becoming more interested in something like Fine Art when you're at college and end up working into that a bit more.

That said, I've got no idea what a BTEC in art and design entails, so anything I've said doesn't really hold any weight. I'd recommend a Foundation Year if you're still unsure about what you want to do before heading off to uni 'proper.' I thought I'd eventually go onto study Fine Art and now I'm applying for something I've discovered I enjoy a lot more, and I'm alot more dedicated to. It doesn't cost anything and it'll give you a vague idea of what to expect from a uni course if you stay in Leicestershire at either DMU or Loughborough. Alot of people I ended up at DMU with that were dead set on going to university after, ended up leaving the course because they couldn't stand the workload, it's a half-decent eye opener. It probably isn't too late to apply for a place, either, don't think the deadline's until mid-March.