Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigGibbo

How Was Your Day?

Quite scared by the realisation that I have only 12 teaching days to go till the six week break, where'd this year go?

Genuinely excited about next year though, branching out into Media & Film Studies which will be a nice new challenge.

I couldn't be more downhearted about my career prospects if I tried.

:(

Something will come up for you Lisa, I can't think of many people who've worked as hard for what they want as you.

Keep going.

Tenacity is one of your qualities.

Appointments in our chambers are made on merit and a pupillage for you is not within my gift as the pupillage committee sifts through the applications to produce a list of candidates for interview and all tenants (of which I am one) vote upon those that have been seen.

Keep networking at court as that is your best opportunity of unlocking doors. If you have got on with and impressed other barristers they'll remember you if you're application comes before them and if you have a portfolio of solicitors who have been pleased with your work and use you on a repeat basis that will also strengthen your application. If you're not in court some pro bono work will also bolster your CV.

It really is tough to get started at the moment. If I were in your position now with my academic record I think that I would be struggling to obtain a pupillage.

You've worked too hard and want it too much not to succeed so hang on in there.

PM me if you think I can offer any other advice that might help.

Edited by skinnydipper

Imagine how Matt Mills feels!

Seriously though, I've always thought you seem like a good person (at least from here) and I'd rather be a good, decent person with poor career prospects than pondlife with good career prospects. As the old footballing adage goes, "form is temporary; class is permanent."

• Like 1

Strange thing about sort the lothes in the shop, the had to be put on the hanger in a certain way. On one side it is curved. Wouldn't have thought it mattered. Just Hope I got them right. Hate to think of a rail full wrong way round.

As others have said keep going,My wife was disillusioned some years ago watching less skilled,work shy,yes men get promotions.knuckled down and managed to get 2 promotions in 18 months.Those that got promoted before soon got found out.Good luck.

Have some of this:

Gu_final1.jpg

It always makes me feel better.

Keep your head up as something will come along.

Had a call off Talk Talk. I must have left my number when enquiring. Anyway I think what they are offering is not bad. £17.75 for Te/rental/broadband Evening and weekend calls included. £set up wavered refunded. Its for 12 month but after that I may wnt to change again. Got to find out if Virgin needs any notice but I'm not actually leaving just reving things. Will need to know what the TV costs on its own though The package was around £43 so I doubt it will be £26 Line rental is about £14 so even if its around £10 I'm saving about 15 quid.

Also went to the In-Training work program introduction. I was about 10 min late because I was talking to Talk Talk but it seemed a waste of time. All it was some bloke talking about all the rules and signing the form and making an appointment for the next meeting.

I can't honestly see it being much help to me. With all the others doing it as well it will just increase the number of younger/fitter/skilled that are in front of me in the queue. I say good luck to them though. Another year and the government will claim me as a success cuz I will be off the JSA and on pension credids which is not counted into the unemployed figures.

:(

Something will come up for you Lisa, I can't think of many people who've worked as hard for what they want as you.

i darent ask? dare i? I hope things improve for you soon :(

Keep going.

Tenacity is one of your qualities.

Appointments in our chambers are made on merit and a pupillage for you is not within my gift as the pupillage committee sifts through the applications to produce a list of candidates for interview and all tenants (of which I am one) vote upon those that have been seen.

Keep networking at court as that is your best opportunity of unlocking doors. If you have got on with and impressed other barristers they'll remember you if you're application comes before them and if you have a portfolio of solicitors who have been pleased with your work and use you on a repeat basis that will also strengthen your application. If you're not in court some pro bono work will also bolster your CV.

It really is tough to get started at the moment. If I were in your position now with my academic record I think that I would be struggling to obtain a pupillage.

You've worked too hard and want it too much not to succeed so hang on in there.

PM me if you think I can offer any other advice that might help.

Imagine how Matt Mills feels!

Seriously though, I've always thought you seem like a good person (at least from here) and I'd rather be a good, decent person with poor career prospects than pondlife with good career prospects. As the old footballing adage goes, "form is temporary; class is permanent."

As others have said keep going,My wife was disillusioned some years ago watching less skilled,work shy,yes men get promotions.knuckled down and managed to get 2 promotions in 18 months.Those that got promoted before soon got found out.Good luck.

Have some of this:

Gu_final1.jpg

It always makes me feel better.

Keep your head up as something will come along.

Thanks, everyone.

It is thoroughly depressing to be on the receiving end of relentless rejections.

I will keep on plodding along, charming ushers, security guards (who seem to love me, for some bizarre reason), and hoping the barristers see my people skills put to good use.

Oh, and Nick, you're a cheeky bugger!

Thanks, everyone.

It is thoroughly depressing to be on the receiving end of relentless rejections.

I will keep on plodding along, charming ushers, security guards (who seem to love me, for some bizarre reason), and hoping the barristers see my people skills put to good use.

Oh, and Nick, you're a cheeky bugger!

Nothing worth having is easily come by as they say. Times are clearly tough in the world or Barristers at the moment.

Went to a media meeting for the Down Not out magzine. Supposed to be training but we just sit around a big table drinking tea and coffee and eating biscuits. So now getting into the journalist lifestyle.

After went to the Y theatre for the monthly Word event. Its on the first Tuesday of the month and its a gathering of poets and performers and a chance to show off your work. Theres quite a big audience for it. It's supposed to biggest one of it's kind in the Midlands. People come from all over to it. They always have a guest poet/performer whoe does a spot at the end. Last night as well as a new microphone the had a screen showing the perfomers. Unfortunately (or fortunae) the list was full when I went to put my name down so did not get on the stage.

The only thing is the drinks are expensive and the choice is limited. I had a bottle of beer and it was nearly £3.50. Going to put a couple of small bottles of coke in my bag next month. I'm sure others do it and the lights are turned down.

My days been fine, if you know what I mean, sometimes its like hanging on a moonbeam My eyes are heavy my ears are a ringing my last post tonight on how was your day and all the happenings.

What happened yesterday

Is in the past,

Gone away.

What happened tomorrow

No-one knows

Joy or sorrow.

What happened today

Tomorrow I will say

One thing I am sure

Now or when

Will always follow

What happened then.

Goodnight sweethearts and hershute brutes.

Edited by Nightguard