Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigGibbo

How Was Your Day?

Yes same here.  Isabel has been great 98% of the time, but you still get the occaisional "mummy doesn't love me anymore"  which is a little bit heartbreaking.  Bless her she is only 4.

Mine turns 4 in 3 weeks time. But the questions already came up, such as why do we have to have 4 people in our family? Why do I have to have a brother? Is he just visiting?

We decided to make sure when she first saw him, he wasn't in his mother's arms, and that her little brother gave her a couple of presents, so the whole experience was a good one and not so traumatic. However, I suspect she'll be climbing all over her mother when she's back home.

She'll be coping with going to school in September, a new brother, and moving house. A minefield, but children can bounce off these things. It's the adults i'm worried about!

Mine turns 4 in 3 weeks time. But the questions already came up, such as why do we have to have 4 people in our family? Why do I have to have a brother? Is he just visiting?

We decided to make sure when she first saw him, he wasn't in his mother's arms, and that her little brother gave her a couple of presents, so the whole experience was a good one and not so traumatic. However, I suspect she'll be climbing all over her mother when she's back home.

She'll be coping with going to school in September, a new brother, and moving house. A minefield, but children can bounce off these things. It's the adults i'm worried about!

You'll be fine I'm sure.  Isabel got a stack of presents, we probably over did it to be honest.

Congratulations, sphericalfox.  :D

Went to 'Sports Direct' in Thurmaston today to get a few golf bits. It took me ages to get out of the store - with many products scattered all over the floor and the lack of room between the product lines. 

Wouldn't be surprised if there were accidents taking place within the store now and then.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011/jul/15/cost-baby-first-year

About £1000 apparently, didn't bother to read the article mind you.

What a load of carp. Not reading the link but for a working family the cost of loss of earnings alone can add up to more than that.

Then setting up a nursery. Moses basket followed by cot. Pushchair car seat etc and you have done 500 notes easy. If not more.

Then allow for it growing out of clothes after a few weeks. Then a few months. Then 6 months and 9 months. Allow for it changing those clothes 3 to 4 times a day at the start. Your washing machine is on a lot!!!

Allow for the fact nappies are expensive shits every time.

I worked out with my wifes reduced income over 12 months and everything else going on around it. We spunked about 20k of cash to cover the loss and carry on living somewhere close to what we had been accustomed too.

Not saying it has to cost that and if you have a shit job then the benefits may cover any loss of earnings. But i dont think a grand would have covered the nappies, clothes and food bill for a year. Let alone the other things mentioned above.

Guest MattP

Yeah that sounds more like it.

A baby really doesn't come across as costing less than £3 a day.

It is the Guardian mind lol

Edited by MattP

So ignoring your wife's loss of income how much did it cost?

Also how much is child benefit? thought it was only about £20 per week? How could benefits come close to covering a loss of income assuming there is still one full time worker in the house and therefore you can't claim a free house or jsa or anything?

Edited by MooseBreath

I'm not sure i can think of a reason why the Guardian would typically have a vested interest in coming up with a low figure. I did actually read the article in the end, it is explained how that figure is reached. Obviously they won't be taking into account lost earnings.

You can get benefits aimed at covering the cost of childcare and child tax credits. Child benefit is £20 a week for the first child, £13 for subsequent.

Edited by ADK

Guest MattP

I'm not sure i can think of a reason why the Guardian would typically have a vested interest in coming up with a low figure.

Probably to make their readership feel less guilty when they are sipping on a Starbucks and sending the kids off to private School.

Anyone listen to the RaDNO show? Interesting discussions but if none of you listened the noone can argue against the points raised and I'm not going to repeat them.

971957_10151399969092003_1120244546_n.jp

What are the issues being raised?

Congratulations!  We are 9 weeks in now with number 2, and it is a different challenge second time around.  Mostly keeping the older one happy!!

We had a strategy to avoid the immediate envy for attention from the 1st, and plan on keeping it up. Thankfully the 1st is a girl and the 2nd is a lad, so that will help.

Remember those days.We Didnt panda to the older ones tantrums( only a few) ,Once giving Archie a smash over the head in a jealous rage,but after a month all fine.3 years difference,take a month or two.Now 13 and nearly 10 its fists,hair,talons between the two and BIG attitude from Amelia,but they make up for the squabbles by the joy and laughs we have.

Gets expensive In other ways.School trips,I know they do not have to go but Amelias Skiing with the school,clubs etc they soon add up,but its worth every penny.

So ignoring your wife's loss of income how much did it cost?

Also how much is child benefit? thought it was only about £20 per week? How could benefits come close to covering a loss of income assuming there is still one full time worker in the house and therefore you can't claim a free house or jsa or anything?

Well as we both work. At the time we could claim working tax credit as well although not sure you can now. But our income from benefits was only £200 a month from what i can remember. Thats 3 years ago.

As for what it cost i reckon we spent approx £8/9 k if you take into account starting from scratch.

Moses basket and stand prob cost around 150 with a decent matress. Dont know if thats cheap or expensive.

350 on bedroom furniture ie cot change table etc so thats 500 just on sorting a room. Didnt have to decorate which was one bonus.

Travel system was 350 sure there are cheaper ones but thats a pretty standard price inc car seat.

Then spent 135 on the next car seat up. At around 10 months. Ok that will last until they are 11 if needed.

Then allowing for new clothes as presents to start with they tend to need 50/60 quids worth of new vests and sleep suits at 6 weeks 3 months 6months 9 months and by 12 months your moving into proper clothes which are around 5/10 every outfit.

As i said before allow for a lot of electric use. Washing/drying and remember 2 people are home in the day as well if your used to using no gas and leccy in the day it soon adds up.

**** my this is a long post.

Nappies wipes allow for 5/6 a day at the start. You go through boxes of those a week. I bet you spend £30 a week. On stuff like that so theres close to 1500 just on that.

And although brest works for a while powder aint cheap either at 7 quid a box.

And they also need toys and stuff too.

I'm sure i'm about to be told you can do it for less granted i bet you could with ebay etc. We are in the process of trying to shift our baby stuff at the mo.

But i'm not sure a grand a year would cover the nappies.

Anyone listen to the RaDNO show? Interesting discussions but if none of you listened the noone can argue against the points raised and I'm not going to repeat them.

971957_10151399969092003_1120244546_n.jp

You have a thick head of hair Ken. What is your secret

You have a thick head of hair Ken. What is your secret

No idea. I'm the only one that has still got some. Needs cutting again I know. Nuisance sometimes and costly which is why I do not pay a lot. It grows so quick. Wish I had it cut before the photo. Just about to read a poem there live on radion for the first time.

Don't know how many heard it but we are on FM 3 more weeks.

Like the City shirt?

No idea. I'm the only one that has still got some. Needs cutting again I know. Nuisance sometimes and costly which is why I do not pay a lot. It grows so quick. Wish I had it cut before the photo. Just about to read a poem there live on radion for the first time.

Don't know how many heard it but we are on FM 3 more weeks.

Like the City shirt?

Must admit I have never seen that City shirt before. Looks like the Burrda one with the sponsor taken off ?

Yes got it from Sports Direct (or similar) near the market. Cut price. One wash and the sponsors name fell off.

Thought about going to the City store. They have a sale on. They will be last season shirts but a third cheaper. Just over a tenner.