Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigGibbo

How Was Your Day?

On the cooking theme I've today made a fantastic tomato and pepper soup, a lamb tagine and a beef bourgignon, split in to portions and frozen for the wife once I'm back to work.

Bangers, mash and onion gravy for dinner with a few bottles of bitter and twisted.

How did your lamb tagine turn out? I`v only cooked it once and I thought it was great, I should do it again  :)

.... and homemade soups are the best  :thumbup:

EDIT: Bangers and mash with onion gravy!!!  :worship:

Edited by I am Rod Hull

How did your lamb tagine turn out? I`v only cooked it once and I thought it was great, I should do it again  :)

.... and homemade soups are the best  :thumbup:

The tagine turned out superbly. I used a recipe I've used a few times before but toned down the heat a little and added some more 'bulk' in the form of various pulses and beans. 

The biggest success was the soup, which I now have about 8 litres of - the wife loves it. The basis of that recipe was Ramsey's tomato soup - although I add a balsamic reduction, caramelised onions and sweet peppers. Recommend using vegetable stock (a good one).

I'll post up the tagine recipe which I find works well - the key, as with a lot of stews/casseroles/broths etc is not to rush it, get your prep done and get it on a low team. I do actually have a tagine to cook it in, but have had just as good a result using a casserole pot, browning the meat and then sticking it in the oven (or even using a slow cooker).

My top tip for the tagine is to add either vermouth OR sherry depending on whether you want the sweetness or not. Both flavours work fantastically.

I realise no one else will care but - for Rod Hull... see below (before I'm banned again, for nothing, again).

Tagine

http://www.chilliandchocolate.com/recipes/nigel-slaters-spicy-moroccan-lamb-tagine-with-buttered-couscous/

I leave out the almonds and go with slightly more fruit - apricots and sultanas and also add in some pulses/beans.

Spice to your tastes - and try to slow cook it.

Recommend adding sherry with this particular recipe, not too early, maybe an hour before serving just to 'loosen' it all a little.

Soup

http://www.food.com/recipe/gordon-ramsay-s-roasted-tomato-soup-370287

Great tasting soup but I prefer thicker so use more tomatoes, onions and add peppers.

I enjoy adding some balsamic flavour too - but not to all tastes.

I added a little pearl barley just to add a bit of bulk as well in this case, but its fine without.

If you use this recipe as a guide and mess about a bit and experiment, you'll get great results suited to your tastes.

Made a carraway bread to go with it also and had a portion earlier, was lovely.

If you give it a go, let me know how you get on.

• Like 1

Rod Hull, I know this probably blasphemy, but a well cooked bolognese sauce is absolute heaven in a buttered cob...

Blasphemy? I dont think so  lol .... one of my favourite meals is Bolognese sauce (EDIT: and homemade chicken chili) with cheesy chips     :D

I`ll give it a go, Vacamion  :thumbup: (I know it`ll be good)

The tagine turned out superbly. I used a recipe I've used a few times before but toned down the heat a little and added some more 'bulk' in the form of various pulses and beans. 

The biggest success was the soup, which I now have about 8 litres of - the wife loves it. The basis of that recipe was Ramsey's tomato soup - although I add a balsamic reduction, caramelised onions and sweet peppers. Recommend using vegetable stock (a good one).

I'll post up the tagine recipe which I find works well - the key, as with a lot of stews/casseroles/broths etc is not to rush it, get your prep done and get it on a low team. I do actually have a tagine to cook it in, but have had just as good a result using a casserole pot, browning the meat and then sticking it in the oven (or even using a slow cooker).

My top tip for the tagine is to add either vermouth OR sherry depending on whether you want the sweetness or not. Both flavours work fantastically.

I searched the interweb for a few days (on and off) to try and get the most authentic recipe, it turned out great but the vermouth or sherry tip sounds good. Its one of those meals that is a "must do"  :thumbup:

People are lazy nowdays when it comes to food, they have no idea how to cook and think frozen ready meals and takeaways are cheaper and tastier (never mind healthier) than the home cooked equivalents.

Youtube/interweb is your friend, people  ;)

Edited by I am Rod Hull

Guest Col city fan

Just got my exam results through the post. Passed them all which is the main thing, through to next year. Pleased with that. I've been nervous ever since they said 'results should be with you on the 28th'.

Well done buddy...

:thumbup:

Just got my exam results through the post. Passed them all which is the main thing, through to next year. Pleased with that. I've been nervous ever since they said 'results should be with you on the 28th'.

Well done, how you do?

I get mine on the 3rd for second year so it actually counts :ph34r:

Well done buddy...

Cheers mate.

Well done, how you do?

I get mine on the 3rd for second year so it actually counts :ph34r:

Did alright.

Failed one which I thought I did anyway. It was oral and I hated every minute of it, I didn't actually know what I was talking about.

lol Yeah I know, still pleased though. Head down now to make sure I get even better marks next year.

Best of luck with yours as well :fc:

Edited by Fox92

Very disappointed with what I saw today in Blackpool. I was on the seafront and saw a man and a woman having a massive domestic in front of loads of kids without a care in the world. 

Suddenly, the woman smacked the guy in the head and it all kicked off. There was a massive brawl and someone called the Police.

Poor Copper turned up and because he was on his own he took his baton to the man. There was a big fight and the guy managed to snatch it off him and began assaulting the Cop AND his wife!

Then this crocodile snuck up and stole all the sausages!

• Like 3

Very disappointed with what I saw today in Blackpool. I was on the seafront and saw a man and a woman having a massive domestic in front of loads of kids without a care in the world. 

Suddenly, the woman smacked the guy in the head and it all kicked off. There was a massive brawl and someone called the Police.

Poor Copper turned up and because he was on his own he took his baton to the man. There was a big fight and the guy managed to snatch it off him and began assaulting the Cop AND his wife!

Got me  lol

Not bad.Lovely English Breakfast to start the day.

Went round a friends house to install Office on his computer for him, came back here and just done a crossword, need two more to finish :(.

Off to Blackpool Sat and Sun for a weekend with the wife and kids could be absolutely mental.

(If anyone can help)

"Cactus Hallucinogan" 6 - _n_ _ _ _n

"Solemn Ceremony" 6 - U _ _ _a _

Very disappointed with what I saw today in Blackpool. I was on the seafront and saw a man and a woman having a massive domestic in front of loads of kids without a care in the world. [/size]Suddenly, the woman smacked the guy in the head and it all kicked off. There was a massive brawl and someone called the Police.[/size]Poor Copper turned up and because he was on his own he took his baton to the man. There was a big fight and the guy managed to snatch it off him and began assaulting the Cop AND his wife![/size]Then this crocodile snuck up and stole all the sausages![/size]

You are a disgrace MattP.

• Like 1

I'm on one of my fasting (dieting) days and would appreciate it if you didn't mention food.

My wife is running the marathon/snickers next year and has to raise £1600 for Banardos charity.

Today we had a CAKE stall at the village fete.CAKES everywhere,we made £350 profit.

We had.

Fruit Cake

Choc cake

Flapjack

Jam sponges

Fruit scones

Cheese scones

Brownies

Carrot cake

Cup cakes

Ginger cake

lol

Good work :thumbup:

My wife is running the marathon/snickers next year and has to raise £1600 for Banardos charity.

Today we had a CAKE stall at the village fete.CAKES everywhere,we made £350 profit.

We had.

Fruit Cake

Choc cake

Flapjack

Jam sponges

Fruit scones

Cheese scones

Brownies

Carrot cake

Cup cakes

Ginger cake

Not bothered, I've just had a delicious lettuce leaf.

Arrived back from our property in Southern Spain - never seen it as quiet like this before, rather strange.

Opened my mail and one of them informed me of my course of radiation therapy on the 10th of next month - slightly nervous.

Arrived back from our property in Southern Spain - never seen it as quiet like this before, rather strange.

Opened my mail and one of them informed me of my course of radiation therapy on the 10th of next month - slightly nervous.

What's the problem if you don't mind me asking?

Jeebus Wymsey, hope its not as bad as it sounds. All the best!

Yesterday at the Indian Summer thing I had a go at spinning a wheel of fortune thing. It had qualities that the bloke said in all of us. It was a spiritual thing. They then gave you a card and I thought mine was close.

Respect

While aware of my own wonderful and unique part in life, I value the distinct and special role of others, exactly as they are.

It may not be exact but try.

On the wheel was all positive things and they said we all have them but sometimes have to search. I said I'm not a religious person and he said you don't have to be which I agreed with.

This weekend I got the washing machine, bed and wardrobe all delivered to the flat which means it now actually looks like somewhere somebody lives rather than just a nest made up of my stuff!

All I need to to now is save up and replace the garden chairs with a setee! :)

Oh , the joy of independence.. :)