Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigGibbo

How Was Your Day?

Don't get a job on Saturday then, simple really. You work to further your own life after all, bit counterintuitive if you have to give up something you love doing.

I wouldn't work on Saturdays for that same reason, not an unreasonable demand to have when looking for a job.

Beggars can't be choosers I'm afraid.

It's not a reasonable demand at all, especially if you're going to work in retail.

Don't get a job on Saturday then, simple really. You work to further your own life after all, bit counterintuitive if you have to give up something you love doing.

I wouldn't work on Saturdays for that same reason, not an unreasonable demand to have when looking for a job.

But surely if you had been unemployed for as long as he says he has, you would take any job you could get for the time being.

I sometimes have to miss matches if I need to do a bit of overtime on a Saturday. Paying bills etc takes priority over watching Leicester for me.

But everyone is different I guess.

• Like 2

Beggars can't be choosers I'm afraid.

It's not a reasonable demand at all, especially if you're going to work in retail.

But surely if you had been unemployed for as long as he says he has, you would take any job you could get for the time being.

I sometimes have to miss matches if I need to do a bit of overtime on a Saturday. Paying bills etc takes priority over watching Leicester for me.

But everyone is different I guess.

It's still possible to find a job that fits in with football. If you're left with no other option then yes you'd have to give it up for a while but I'm sure you could find something more suitable if you look hard enough. I'd be trying very hard to find something that fits in with what I want in this case.

Edited by Harry - LCFC

If I ever wanted a day off for a game I could just ask for a day off. If you get a job in retail/something shit like most people your age/situation are looking at you won't be working full time so you'll get one or two days off every week. Just don't be a nob about it and ask them if it's possible to make the days you will get off the Saturdays you want to go away. 

A lad I work with has an Everton season ticket so goes to every home game and some away games. He got the job and after a few weeks when he'd made friends and everyone realised he was a sound kid he told people about his ST and hinted he wanted time off to go the games. He sacrificed a few weeks footy to get in everyone's good books and now whenever he wants a game day off he asks a few weeks before and almost always gets it. 

Just offer to help other people out too, say you work with a bird who goes out loads, take her Sunday shift when she inevitably rings in sick hungover one time etc. Focus on getting a job first and taking the sacrifice of no games for what, a month?, then unless you have an arse of a manager you should be sweet. 

Good luck with whatever you apply for anyway mate, I've been on the dole and it is fúcking shit. 

It's still possible to find a job that fits in with football. If you're left with no other option then yes you'd have to give it up for a while but I'm sure you could find something more suitable if you look hard enough. I'd be trying very hard to find something that fits in with what I want in this case.

He's lucky he lives with his parents as without a job he wouldn't be able to afford to do what he enjoys.

It is completely unreasonable to refuse work and continue to take money from the tax payer because you don't want to miss a football match.

• Like 4

It is completely unreasonable to refuse work and continue to take money from the tax payer because you don't want to miss a football match.

My words have been misinterpreted a little I think. Looking back at what I said I realise I didn't write it out very well.

My suggestion was that he takes a job that fits in with his lifestyle. Now I know you might say he doesn't have a choice but he can give himself that choice if he looks hard enough, I'm sure there'll be something out there that doesn't require work on a Saturday. I accept it's not easy and if there is no choice on the matter then you take what's available and I accept that.

I actually think you'll like my thoughts on the matter as it involves making an effort to mould a lifestyle that you want.

Is it true that you have to have a beard to Morris dance? 

I don't know but it seemed to be a common denominator: beard or sideburns.

Thought they hit each other with tassels and ribbons?

No, they wear ribbons and hit each other with sticks and swords. It appeals to my violent side

Been sending job applications all day. I applied for an internship and got a reply straight away for an interview. It's not paid work but it is beneficial as it involves French speaking and translation which should go nicely with my degree (I'm a final year language student). Absolutely crapping myself about the interview though as the last time I used French in a practical situation was 8 months ago and I've been in Spain ever since!

• Like 1

Received something from the BBC OU. a small booklet on the history of the working class. Bit disappointed with it. Only a few pages thick and small.

Has anyone done an Open University course? Not sure what I'd do but it will be too late to be career related. Maybe something social or to do with people.

Quite an interest in people behavior.

Daft idea I hear you say. Better go bed Hard to see what I'm typing in this light and I dont want any more comments about spelling errors.

Received something from the BBC OU. a small booklet on the history of the working class. Bit disappointed with it. Only a few pages thick and small.

Has anyone done an Open University course? Not sure what I'd do but it will be too late to be career related. Maybe something social or to do with people.

Quite an interest in people behavior.

Daft idea I hear you say. Better go bed Hard to see what I'm typing in this light and I dont want any more comments about spelling errors.

Learning is never a bad idea.
  • Like 1

I know just don't know what to do. On the leaflet I got it says you can get grants. Not sure what it would cost. When i got my money sorted our pensions etc I'll know what is available but there are other things I may do. May as well put any free time to good use. I'm sort of retired and if I do the OU I wont be a benefit scrounger but a student scrounger.

Not as easy as that for a lot though is it. Basically missed two or three seasons worth of City matches when I was a kid for my weekend job. The alternative would've been having bugger all money and not being able to do anything on a Saturday anyway.

I still have to work one weekend in about seven doing a job I love.

Just looked at the OU site. Could cost more than I have. There is an access course. In total around £1000. Sent off for a brochure though. Had to pick an interest. Put Social Sciences for some reason.

There is always night school.

Off to the radio station now. We were looking at new premies on Freemans Park but that looks like falling through. Now a possibility in Aylestone. Negotiations ongoing.

There could be a link to the radio on facebook Down Not Out or tunein station is Panj Pani. 12-4 and I may miss the first hour.

On the Lamby Job front:

Lamby: Have you joined a temp agency? If not join one, join all of them, take anything they offer, from going to a company to do one day of photocopying I ended up in a career in IT.

Volunteer at a charity shop, you may not get any more money, but at least you'll get out the house, be doing something and show employers that you are willing and capable and get a reference at the end of it.

Give up on going to football, we're all football fans here, but we all know that real life is a priority especially if it is making you depressed.

Not as easy as that for a lot though is it. Basically missed two or three seasons worth of City matches when I was a kid for my weekend job. The alternative would've been having bugger all money and not being able to do anything on a Saturday anyway.

I still have to work one weekend in about seven doing a job I love.

A lot of it is circumstancial I suppose. I can imagine Lamby being in the kind of position I was in a few months ago where I was on JSA, but didn't really have any other costs to cover due to living with Mum (although I did pay some board), so still regularly attended games.

There's little deterrent. If Lamby was for example not living at home and couldn't afford football as the norm, then I think he'd soon stop with these excuses for not going for every job.

I'm not trying to have a pop, Lamby, because you remind me of what I was (although admittedly I was never as open about it, nor did I make excuses to not go for jobs), in too much of a comfort zone IMO and that breeds complete complacency. It's a great feeling when you're out of it.