Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigGibbo

How Was Your Day?

I spent the last three hours of works yesterday in a pub, and then the last three of today - I like jobs where you can get pissed, it works for me.

Gizza job. ;)

I spent the last three hours of works yesterday in a pub, and then the last three of today - I like jobs where you can get pissed, it works for me.

I'm definitely in the wrong job.

I want a new job, where I can sit on my arse all day and type rubbish on FT. Thats livin' the good life.

I am going to embrace curry and beer.

I just embraced a chicken fried rice/Bud combo. Nice.

Other than that, I went to Northampton for the very first time. Long journey - well, especially with public transportation aka "always too late and simply too expensive". At least the weather and the city made up for it.

In fairness to the bloke he was expressing a fear that their extremist views would start to seem desiriable if percieved injustices weren't stopped, rather than saying he'd vote for them. I think.

Of course you're right.

And my comment is linked to the recent claim that a revival of nationalist politics is already said to be gathering pace in Austria, Italy and Germany though, hopefully, Lisa will be studying something that will give the lie to the accuracy of that claim, assure us there is absolutely no cause for concern and insist that is is actually nothing more than Daily Mail propaganda.

However, uneducated though I am, I am 100% sure the next UK election will further confirm what I say about the rise in nationalism and I'd refer you to Ian Buruma's article in The Los Angeles Times of October 3, 2008 which reported that:

'Two far-right parties, the Austrian Freedom Party and the Movement for Austria's Future, managed to win 29% of the vote in Sunday's general elections in Austria. This is double what they got in the elections of 2006.

Both parties share the same attitudes toward immigrants, and the European Union: a mixture of fear and loathing.

Because the leaders of the two parties, Heinz-Christian Strache and Jorg Haider, can't stand each other, there is little chance of a far-right coalition actually taking power.

Nonetheless, this is Adolf Hitler's native land, where Jews were once forced to scrub the streets of Vienna with toothbrushes before being deported and killed, so the result is disturbing. The question is: How disturbing?

Twenty-nine percent is about 15% more than populist right-wing parties usually get even in very good (for them) years in other European countries. Strache, leader of the Freedom Party, wants the government to create a new ministry to manage the deportation of immigrants.

Muslims are openly disparaged by leaders of both parties. Haider once praised the employment practices of Hitler's Third Reich. Inevitably, the new rightists bring back memories of storm troopers and race laws.

Yet to see the rise of the Austrian right as a revival of Nazism would be a mistake. For one thing, neither party is advocating violence, even if some of their rhetoric might inspire it. For another, it seems to me that voters backing these far-right parties may be motivated less by ideology than by anxieties and resentments that are felt in many European countries, including ones with no Nazi tradition, such as the Netherlands and Denmark.

In Denmark, the hard-right Danish People's Party is the third-largest party in the country, with 25 parliamentary seats. Dutch populists such as Rita Verdonk, or Geert Wilders, who is driven by a paranoid fear of "Islamization," are putting the traditional political elites, a combination of liberals, social democrats and Christian democrats, under severe pressure.'

========

It really is time the supporters of this misguided government smelt the coffee and began to understand that the perceived injustices you mentioned, Flynny, and which aren't 'perceived' to me but strikingly obvious, provide exactly the oxygen on which nationalism feeds and which once cost millions of lives.

As always, the 'everyone is equal' politicals have some blatantly more equal than others and the natives increasingly feel that every dice is loaded against them. I'm sick of it and I'm a bloody moderate. But the time for understanding is over. Cos I don't like anyone upsetting my missus.

========

Concerning Germany there was some more up-to-date data available but I was drawn to this from 2006:

http://www.shelleytherepublican.com/2006/1...any-part-3.aspx

Edited by Thracian

Thracian

Any "rise of the right" is linked more to a perceived decline in living standards and insecurity in the job market than the bent of the political party in charge. To suggest otherwise is being more than a bit disingenuous.

Thracian

Any "rise of the right" is linked more to a perceived decline in living standards and insecurity in the job market than the bent of the political party in charge. To suggest otherwise is being more than a bit disingenuous.

When a decline in living standards and insecurity in the job market is perceived to have happened because foreign workers have taken jobs at lower wages than the locals, as well as millions of pounds in benefits they've never earned - and all by courtesy of the government - then it's easy to see how the blue touchpaper you describe gets well and truly lit. Or have I missed something?

When a decline in living standards and insecurity in the job market is perceived to have happened because foreign workers have taken jobs at lower wages than the locals, as well as millions of pounds in benefits they've never earned - and all by courtesy of the government - then it's easy to see how the blue touchpaper you describe gets well and truly lit. Or have I missed something?

I did put a couple of smiles but my emotions seem to have disappeared!

Edited by Thracian