Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Top 5 Gigs

remembered another one now!!

Smashing Pumpkins supported by The Verve at Rock City in about 95 brilliant brilliant night

Good call, I forgot I'd seen em in either 95/96 I think at Birmingham when they were supported by Filter. I'll add them to my top gigs too.

Oh, and Dust Junkys (whetever happened to them?) at Reading maybe 98/99. Loads of bouncing around in that tent to some funky/rock/pseudo rap styles :thumbup:

Pixies - DeMontfort Hall - 1990
- sonic youth
Rage Against the Machine supported by Tool

You bunch of bastards ;)

Anyway, no particular order, some of my greatest moments are:

One Minute Silence-19th Dec 2000-Rock City

Senser-16th April 2006-The Colosseum (Coventry)

Machine Head-17th December 2000?-Rock City

Audioslave-20th June 2005-Brixton Acadamy (That was a fab night. Soundgarden/RATM/Audioslave all in one night!)

Public Enemy-28th May 2008 :P Rock City

Deftones-Can't find me ticket! Sometime last year anyway. Chino wasn't stoned or pissed and put on a fab show this time.

Also saw The Bloodhound Gang at Manchester Uni 2-3 years ago. They were a right laugh!

"Rage Against the Machine supported by Tool at Rock City just as the debut album was breaking awesome show simply awesome so much power and anger pure brilliance."

Wasn't there also a band called Wool on that night? What a concert that was. the lead singer of tool really scared me.

L7 @ Leicester Uni. I saw Jennifer Finchs Pants, She asked me if I liked them I said "YES".

Kraftwerk @ the poly. was a warm up gig for the sellafield concert with U2 that never happend. This has to be my all time favourite it went on for ever.

Big country back in about 83. went with a couple of girls from school, My first ever three some.

Any of the stourbridge bands (Neds, Poppies & wonder stuff) that seemed to come to Leicester every other week.

Hadouken last September with support from the Whip & Late of the Pier. Three excellent live bands. And great to see a youth culture that can't be lablled "Chav".

Pavement @ Rock city 95 crap support great main.

the Sundays again at the poly Harriet Wheller has such an amazing voice I dont think I have ever fancied anyone from just hearing them except her.

Maps and the strange death of liberal england @ summer sundae last year..

wow i'd have loved to have seen Bowie at that time in his career!!

I was really sniffy about going, and if it hadn't been free I'd never have driven to it - but I walked out a total convert. Even though his best days on vinyl were well behind him...he'd just done his Tin Machine bollocks...he was amazing on stage. A true pro.

I forgot, Peter Gabriel supported by the Undertones was a gig of two halves; certainly the best time I have had at Selhurst Park.

You bunch of bastards ;)

so, i'm guess that you don't want to hear that senser were on the bill for glasto '92 that we talked of earlier, don't know about daggers but i don't think i watched them, i mean 11.50am, at glastonbury, never gonna happen :whistle:

I'm going to upset some people just for the hell of it, but I've seen the Stone Roses and Oasis and they were both bob

doesn't surprise me at all -

although the stone roses are amazing (on record), and i'd still love to have seen them live, as bad as they are known to have been - incidently, a friend of mine saw them at northampton roadmenders, in 89(?)

As for good shows.

Er Ryan Adams at Promowest in Columbus OH must have been 2005.

Sugar at the Poly. No idea what year.

Arcade Fire/The Black Keys at Stubbs in Austin TX. 2005.

I quite enjoyed Ride/Mercury Rev at the De Mont Hall. Must have been 92?

Tool at Brixton Academy (2002 maybe)

Neil Young and Crazy Horse at Phoenix Festival.

Hoping that Gogol Bordello will be good tonight.

so, i'm guess that you don't want to hear that senser were on the bill for glasto '92 that we talked of earlier, don't know about daggers but i don't think i watched them, i mean 11.50am, at glastonbury, never gonna happen :whistle:

La la la la la la la la la la la .....Vålerenga is talking and I can't hear you!

Shit!

Neil Young at Finsbury Park...that'd have been around the early 90's I guess. Brilliant.

I saw the Stone Roses, nothing special at all. Senser? Not a chance...that was lunchtime time, I'd have been queuing up for something Oriental.

As for good shows.

the missus saw them not long ago, she thought they were amazing, prepare to do some dancing... :D

Shit!

Neil Young at Finsbury Park...that'd have been around the early 90's I guess. Brilliant.

I saw the Stone Roses, nothing special at all. Senser? Not a chance...that was lunchtime time, I'd have been queuing up for something Oriental.

Went to Spike island & the roses were ok, But standing around for 6 hours whilst only being entertained by Ruff,Ruff & Ready was mind numbingly boring. Nice day though sun shone all day.

"Rage Against the Machine supported by Tool at Rock City just as the debut album was breaking awesome show simply awesome so much power and anger pure brilliance."

Wasn't there also a band called Wool on that night? What a concert that was. the lead singer of tool really scared me.

L7 @ Leicester Uni. I saw Jennifer Finchs Pants, She asked me if I liked them I said "YES".

Kraftwerk @ the poly. was a warm up gig for the sellafield concert with U2 that never happend. This has to be my all time favourite it went on for ever.

Big country back in about 83. went with a couple of girls from school, My first ever three some.

Any of the stourbridge bands (Neds, Poppies & wonder stuff) that seemed to come to Leicester every other week.

Hadouken last September with support from the Whip & Late of the Pier. Three excellent live bands. And great to see a youth culture that can't be lablled "Chav".

Pavement @ Rock city 95 crap support great main.

the Sundays again at the poly Harriet Wheller has such an amazing voice I dont think I have ever fancied anyone from just hearing them except her.

Maps and the strange death of liberal england @ summer sundae last year..

certainly Was!!

they were made up of the Stahl brothers who were in DC Hardcore band Scream who a certain Dave Grohl started his musical journey with they released an ep called Budspawn which I have somewhere...

Rage Against the Machine supported by Tool at Rock City just as the debut album was breaking awesome show simply awesome so much power and anger pure brilliance.

I'm sooooo envious at you!!! >_<

Best 5 shows so far:

Porcupine Tree @ Store Vega (Copenhagen, November 2007): Absolutely blown away by them. The concert was flawless, the emotions were flying high, and I was buzzing for several days. I had just heard about them 3 weeks earlier and spontaneously took the decision to go see them.

Tool @ Roskilde Festival (Roskilde, July 2006): I'm a big Tool fan and when it was announced they'd visit Denmark at Roskilde, I just HAD to go. What a phenomenal experience. I had no voice afterwards and the sound was just awesome. They're all about quality, the sound was spot on, the volume was perfect, the imagery was engulfing and the music was sooo tight. Brilliant

Roger Waters @ Roskilde Festival (Roskilde, July 2006): Only one performance surpassed Tool during the Festival in 2006, and not surprisingly it was closing act Roger Waters performing Dark Side of The Moon. I'm too young to have seen this live when Pink Floyd toured with it, so getting a chance to see it was incredible. With the 3D sound and the brilliant musicianship of his group largely making up for the absence of David Gilmour, this was an unforgettable experience.

Gogol Bordello @ Roskilde Festival (Roskilde, July 2006): Never have I seen a band get a crowd going like they did. Everyone of about 5000 people were bouncing and singing along to their catchy choruses. The critics awarded them an unprecented rating of 7 out of 6 and called it one of the performances of the decade, and I was in the middle of it.

U2 @ Parken Stadium (Copenhagen, September? 2005): I was visiting a friend at work as U2 were about to play in concert. She said she could get us in for free, so I couldn't turn it down. It was a great experience with the rain pouring down after half an hour. We were standing on the pitch and people didn't care one bit that they were absolutely drenched. Instead we all sang along as loud as we could with Bono connecting well with the crowd.

Honorable mentions to Skunk Anansie (Belgium, Oktober 1999), Tommy Emmanuel (Copenhagen, April 2008) and Deep Purple (Brussels, 1996 or -7), Rolling Stones (Werchter, 1999) and Archive (Brussels, 2002)

Thought of another one. Dinosaur Jr and The Black Keys in Nashville TN last year.

saw dinosaur jr alongside MBV, JAMC and Blur, on the Rollercoaster tour in the 90s at brixton academy, that would be pretty high up in my best gigs actually...

certainly Was!!

they were made up of the Stahl brothers who were in DC Hardcore band Scream who a certain Dave Grohl started his musical journey with they released an ep called Budspawn which I have somewhere...

Am I to assume that Dave Grohl wasn't playing that night, Oh sorry he was in scream I get it!!! :frusty:

Really? I saw him supporting SFA in Detroit Rock City the other month. He was one of the worst live acts I have ever seen.

Was he on his own or with his band? It can get sort of noisy when they're with him, and a bit harder to get into. He's one of the few artists to have emerged in the last three or four years that I can get excited about

doesn't surprise me at all -

although the stone roses are amazing (on record), and i'd still love to have seen them live, as bad as they are known to have been - incidently, a friend of mine saw them at northampton roadmenders, in 89(?)

I know people that went to the Spike Island gig which for some reason has become part of Stone Roses folklore, and they say that wasn't that great, and that's coming from Stone Roses fans.

When I saw them it was the arse-end of their career (1995?) - Robbie Maddix had replaced Reni but John Squire was still there. The punters were very excited, but it was all a bit half baked really

Was he on his own or with his band? It can get sort of noisy when they're with him, and a bit harder to get into. He's one of the few artists to have emerged in the last three or four years that I can get excited about

He was by himself.

Maybe it was the wrong setting or something. He wasn't a particularly good fit with SFA and Times New Viking.

I was telling my dad that I was decidedly unimpressed with him only to be told that my dad knows him and has done the sound for him on a couple of occasions. Splendid own goal that.

As for good shows.

I was at that gig! Never seen so many guitar changes between songs. Ride knew how to destroy guitar strings! If memory serves I seem to remember Val saying in another thread he was at that gig too. If not Val, it was some other FT poster (and yes Mrs John Murphy, I know you were there! :thumbup: )

• 2 weeks later...

1. Enter Shikari - Astoria. Just couldn't believe the performance.

2. Lostprophets - Birmingham NIA. Awesome day and night out. Taking Back sunday were their as well.

3. Prodigy - Gatecrasher. Nuff said really.

4. Funeral For A Friend - Cardiff. Awesome weekend.

5. Hadouken - Aylesbury. Little gig, Lots of booze, And a' crowd' band.

I was at that gig! Never seen so many guitar changes between songs. Ride knew how to destroy guitar strings! If memory serves I seem to remember Val saying in another thread he was at that gig too. If not Val, it was some other FT poster (and yes Mrs John Murphy, I know you were there! :thumbup: )

yup, at least i can't imagine they played there more than the one time, so it must have been, thought they were good, but not one that really blew me away...

Archived